PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Trigger

Cosmoline
20 May 2013, 08:28
I am contemplating the replacement of my factory trigger on my Colt LE6920. I was on the Geissele website and although they have a guide for determining the best trigger for the application, due to the numerous options they have I am still unclear as to which is best suited for me.
The primary use for my Colt is a combat carbine. It is used for carbine exercises and training.

UWone77
20 May 2013, 10:53
About half my guns have Geissele triggers, but with that said, have you used or tried one of their triggers yet? What is your stock trigger not doing for you that a Geissele would? I ask because if you're using yours as a defensive carbine, I would look at an ALG ACT trigger first, as I prefer USGI triggers in defensive carbines and ALG is made by the same great people at Geissele.

Cosmoline
20 May 2013, 11:43
I have no idea what a M4 trigger should feel like. I know it doesn't feel like any other trigger on any other firearm I own. It's not a crisp break and it has alot of travel. Maybe I shouldn't expect anything more, or maybe I don't know what I'm missing by not trying an aftermarket trigger.

UWone77
20 May 2013, 18:04
USGI triggers can be anywhere from 6-9lbs. Some people get lucky, and get a nice trigger, some are gritty with lots of creep. This is why I like the ALG ACT triggers as they have a consistent trigger pull.

If I were you, I'd just shoot a few thousand rounds out of your stock trigger and see if it smooths itself out. If you don't like it after that, look into other options.

FortTom
20 May 2013, 20:33
I too, like the Geisseie, but on my last build, I bought a Wilson Combat 3G trigger. (3G for 3 Gun Competition). It's a one piece modular design, installs in 5 minutes, is a single stage (no take up) and reset is extremely quick, over travel is virtually eliminated. Trigger pull is advertised to be approx. 3.5 to 4.0 lbs.

Since I'm retired military, and not LEO or Govt employee, it's highly unlikely that I'll ever see combat again, so I don't mind using a single stage trigger, this specific weapon was built with self-defense in mind, but with an overriding "fun factor".

Anyway, I really like this trigger, and the price was reasonable. Trigger break is crisp.

Just thought I'd throw out another option for you.

FT

GOST
22 May 2013, 07:25
For the price the Geissele G2S, it's just like the SSA without the engravings. My buddy has one and I like it. I personally use the SD3G.

Cosmoline
22 May 2013, 08:20
Youtube has a couple of very informative videos about Geissele Automatic and how they started their business. Mr. Geissele also explains the transformation and beginnings of all his triggers and why he developed them. I didn’t get a chance to watch all of them that they filmed so I am unfamiliar with the G2S. I did however feel that the SSA would fit most of my needs and give me a better trigger than I have. I have shot a few thousand rounds through this weapon and every time I shoot it the trigger bothers me so I will be replacing it. If I don’t like what I have I can always re-install the milspec back.
I will look into the G2S, thanks for all the input gentleman.

CGS
23 May 2013, 04:15
This is a copy and paste from my AR15 Designer guide. Maybe you agree or disagree, but this is my thought process when I am specifying parts for a AR15 build...

2) Trigger Assembly
The trigger is a critical assembly of any firearm, without it the gun won’t go bang! But there are different triggers for different applications. There are numerous triggers on the market including single stage, two stage and drop in. Picking the right one is critical to a safe and reliable AR15.

Before selecting a trigger for your AR15 you should be familiar with some terms and characteristics of any trigger assembly. Knowing the following terms will allow you to better understand which trigger is right for your application. Slack, sometimes called take-up, is rearward movement of the trigger before the trigger engages the sear. Creep is after the sear has been engaged, any further/additional rearward movement of the trigger before the hammer falls. Over travel is how far the trigger can continue to travel rearward after the shot breaks. Trigger pull weight is the amount of force it takes to pull the trigger, engage the sear, and cause the hammer to drop. A higher trigger pull weight, of 7-9 Lbs., is usually preferred for tactical or home defense triggers, while a lighter trigger pull weight 3-5 Lbs. is usually preferred for precision or competition purposes.

A single stage trigger requires one trigger pull. Meaning the single stage trigger has little-to-no movement (slack or creep) in it before the sear is tripped. A standard US Government Issue M4 or M16 riles have a single action, and most out of the box civilian AR15’s will come with single action triggers. Most AR15 Lower Parts Kits (LPK’s) will have single action triggers.

Two stage triggers, while requiring only one trigger pull, is broken between two stages. The first stage will have some take up with a higher pull weight. There will be a slight disconnect, therefore it will often be very noticeable when the first stage ends and the second stage begins. The second stage of the two stage trigger will require much less pull weight. For example the first stage may require 5 Lbs. of pull and the 2nd stage only 2 Lbs. The advantage of a 2-stage trigger is that with proper training when you pull through the first stage and get to the hold on the second stage, you know you're right on the edge of it breaking.

A drop in trigger kit can be single stage or two stage. The drop in triggers come pre-assembled and are great for the do it yourself AR15 builder or professional gunsmith alike. Many, though not all, drop in triggers are adjustable which allows you to customize your trigger to perfectly suite your needs.

Generally speaking, all things considered equal, a single stage trigger is usually preferred for high stress situations such as tactical or home defense. Single Stage Triggers are also often preferred in rapid fire such as a three gun type competition. Two Stage triggers are often preferred for bench rest or target shooting or service rifle type competitions, they are often considered more accurate. Triggers are one of those components in the AR15 that people can obsess about, but it really comes down to shooter preferences and familiarity with one’s own trigger.

Cosmoline
23 May 2013, 10:41
Thank you CGS, great info.

KevinBLC
27 June 2013, 17:55
So was the verdict Cosmoline? What kind of trigger did you get? Do you like it?

Stickman
27 June 2013, 21:26
Inquiring minds.....

Cosmoline
28 June 2013, 08:30
I haven't purchased it yet. Re-allocated the funds towards an ammo purchase I could not pass on. Soon to come though. Stay tuned.

MistWolf
28 June 2013, 19:23
I have no idea what a M4 trigger should feel like. I know it doesn't feel like any other trigger on any other firearm I own. It's not a crisp break and it has alot of travel. Maybe I shouldn't expect anything more, or maybe I don't know what I'm missing by not trying an aftermarket trigger.

If you'd like tp know what your trigger is supposed to feel like, remove the FCG from your lower, clean it and apply grease to the sear surfaces and the bottom curve of the hammer and reinstall. The grease will rid the trigger of nearly all the gritty feel and the pull will be much more consistent. It may even lower the pull weight a little. Use a slave pin to hold the trigger & disconnector together while reinstalling.

The standard semi auto AR trigger will have quite a bit of creep and will have an almost rolling break. The creep will be nearly as much as the first stage of the Geisselle SSA. It will also need to be released almost completely before it resets.

I find this comment from CGS interesting-
"Generally speaking, all things considered equal, a single stage trigger is usually preferred for high stress situations such as tactical or home defense. Single Stage Triggers are also often preferred in rapid fire such as a three gun type competition. Two Stage triggers are often preferred for bench rest or target shooting or service rifle type competitions, they are often considered more accurate. Triggers are one of those components in the AR15 that people can obsess about, but it really comes down to shooter preferences and familiarity with one’s own trigger.

Why? Because outside the AR world. 2 stage triggers are combat triggers and single stage triggers are for target shooting. I don't think any benchrest shooters use two stage triggers

UWone77
28 June 2013, 19:32
Mistwolf - Nice to see you on here. I've always enjoyed your informative and borderline SME posts on M4c [:D]

MistWolf
28 June 2013, 19:45
Aw gawrsh! Thanks for the welcome

KevinBLC
3 July 2013, 13:52
If you'd like tp know what your trigger is supposed to feel like, remove the FCG from your lower, clean it and apply grease to the sear surfaces and the bottom curve of the hammer and reinstall. The grease will rid the trigger of nearly all the gritty feel and the pull will be much more consistent. It may even lower the pull weight a little. Use a slave pin to hold the trigger & disconnector together while reinstalling.

The standard semi auto AR trigger will have quite a bit of creep and will have an almost rolling break. The creep will be nearly as much as the first stage of the Geisselle SSA. It will also need to be released almost completely before it resets.

I find this comment from CGS interesting-
"Generally speaking, all things considered equal, a single stage trigger is usually preferred for high stress situations such as tactical or home defense. Single Stage Triggers are also often preferred in rapid fire such as a three gun type competition. Two Stage triggers are often preferred for bench rest or target shooting or service rifle type competitions, they are often considered more accurate. Triggers are one of those components in the AR15 that people can obsess about, but it really comes down to shooter preferences and familiarity with one’s own trigger.

Why? Because outside the AR world. 2 stage triggers are combat triggers and single stage triggers are for target shooting. I don't think any benchrest shooters use two stage triggers

What kind of grease would be the best for putting on the trigger?

MistWolf
12 July 2013, 00:17
Grease rated for high pressure applications is preferred, but just about any grease will do. Lubriplate is good stuff. I've also had good results from nickel NeverSeez and Aeroshell 28. Stay away from any lubricants that are chlorinated as they can cause embrittlement which will lead to cracking

KevinBLC
15 July 2013, 17:35
Grease rated for high pressure applications is preferred, but just about any grease will do. Lubriplate is good stuff. I've also had good results from nickel NeverSeez and Aeroshell 28. Stay away from any lubricants that are chlorinated as they can cause embrittlement which will lead to cracking

Any idea what kind of grease Geissele includes with their triggers?

BC98
16 July 2013, 09:55
I think it's an AeroShell grease. 6 or 7, maybe?

KevinBLC
17 July 2013, 03:04
I think it's an AeroShell grease. 6 or 7, maybe?

I'll have to look into that unless someone can confirm. Seems like Geissele Grease works the best on my standard triggers. There is only so much they provide however.

MistWolf
17 July 2013, 07:21
I originally reccomended Aeroshell 28. That's a mistake as there is no Aeroshell 28. There is an Aeroshell 22, Aeroshell 14 and Mobil 28. Any should work well lubing the FCG.

Here is a link about Aeroshell- http://www.vintagebonanza.com/docs/AeroshellGreases.pdf

http://www.shell.com/global/products-services/solutions-for-businesses/aviation/products/lubricants/greases/about.html

Mobil 28- http://www.exxonmobil.com/Australia-English/Aviation/PDS/GLXXENAVIEMMobilgrease_28.aspx

Really, this is more information than needed but I know inquiring minds want to know. Choose what's convenient and lube it up

BC98
17 July 2013, 10:29
I'll have to look into that unless someone can confirm. Seems like Geissele Grease works the best on my standard triggers. There is only so much they provide however.

A while back I had sent an email into ALG Defense asking what grease they recommended for an ACT trigger. I just checked and they had recommended Aeroshell 6.

KevinBLC
18 July 2013, 12:18
A while back I had sent an email into ALG Defense asking what grease they recommended for an ACT trigger. I just checked and they had recommended Aeroshell 6.

Thanks for the info. Now to look for some Aeroshell...