PDA

View Full Version : 870 suggestions

Lancelot
6 July 2008, 13:42
I carry a pretty plain 870 as a duty scattergun. 18" barrel, short 13" speedfeed stock, scattergun magazine, side saddle, Gear Sector sling on a DD loop.

http://coloradoshooting.org/v-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/gs_asp_870_40_pct.jpg

What else should I do to this thing? It has been sorely overlooked for years, and is need of a revamping for duty use.

austin12gauge
7 July 2008, 04:53
Looks good to me, I wouldn't add anything else to it. The sidesaddle is actually a little much for me as I prefer KISS guns. I also prefer an adjustable 2-point over a single point, but YMMV.

Stickman
7 July 2008, 07:45
I'm not sure how much mask work you do, but an optic can make a huge difference when shooting in a mask. You already know about the benefits of running an Aimpoint or Eotech in low light, so I won't get preachy on that.

Another thing to consider is picking up ghost ring or peep sights. A buddy of mine used to make 80 yard head shots on steel plates using slugs with a 590A1, but he was death itself with a shotgun. I use a Remington 11-87P with a rear peep sight, and its light years beyond using a bead.

103m 95g
7 July 2008, 07:47
I would add a light. working at night and during Katrina has tought me a weapon mounted light is needed. I also like the feel and controlability of a pistol griped stock like on a benelli M1 super 90. I tried a speedfeed stock, and did not like it, the grip angle doesent fit me. a Choate stock fits me better. I also like the advance technology pistol grip stock.

m24shooter
7 July 2008, 08:27
Here's what I would do.
1. SureFire foreend. On the job you definitely need a light, and using the shotgun is not friendly to hand-helds.
2. Order the Trijicon GRS kit from Brownell's. You will save a buttload of money over the Wilson/SGT unit and have the option of tritium rear if you really want one. They are all made by Trijicon anyway. As Stick said, they are crazy for slug work and I was able to put slugs on a 6" plate all day, offhand with mine.
3. Get the Hogue Short Shot stock. It will drop another inch off of your LOP so you can shoot squared/with BA on.
4. Get a Vang or SGT/Wilson enlarged safety. With either of these you can lay your index finger outside the trigger guard with the first pad contacting the safety. When it is time to release it you can press inward with the first pad while you bring the tip into the trigger guard. Very intuitive, very quick.
5. Make sure it fits in you rack with the sidesaddle if you have one in your squad.
6. Make sure you have a Wolf or other good quality extra power mag spring.
7. Make sure you have a good non-binding/hi-vis/tactile follower.
8. Make sure you have a FlexTab cut on the shell lifter.
9. EO sights on shotguns are great. You might want to consider a small rail either on the receiver forward of the GRS or on the barrel, right about the midpoint of the foreend. I saw and shot some BP shotguns that had a short strip of Pic right there with an M68 and I think the GG&G ring. They were great. If you don't want to mess with the size/weight of the M68 or an Eothingy, the Trijicon Red Dot, JP sight, and Aimpoint Micro T1 are very nice. They will give you the red aiming dot without the bulk of the larger units. The T1 I think has a NV setting, which you wouldn't have with the other two.

Stickman
7 July 2008, 09:03
Here's what I would do.
1. SureFire foreend. On the job you definitely need a light, and using the shotgun is not friendly to hand-helds.
6. Make sure you have a Wolf or other good quality extra power mag spring.
7. Make sure you have a good non-binding/hi-vis/tactile follower.
8. Make sure you have a FlexTab cut on the shell lifter.

I'm an idiot who evidently needs more coffee, the above are all solid points. 6,7,8 are things WELL worth doing while you are going over everything.

There are a lot of light options, go with something that works for you.

Lancelot
7 July 2008, 15:11
I just remember back in 1980 my first duty shotgun was an old used 870 wingmaster. It had an 18 inch barrel no sights, and no extended mag. When I added an extended mag I thought I was high tech.

I must confess I have ignored my shotgun for a long time, being seduced by the patrol rifle bug.

Clearly I need some shottie therapy.

So if I order the sight package, how difficult is the install. I'm assuming it needs a drill & tap? My gun is older and was not drilled and tapped for a rail or sights.

Great help guys, I appreciate it.

m24shooter
7 July 2008, 15:53
Lance its not hard. If you trust your local smith he should be able to do it. If you want to do a self install, I still have the original SGT sight jig for drilling and tapping. If you promise to return it I can send it to you. It comes with instructions, and I believe both bits for drilling and tapping.
Let me know if you need it. I'll be traveling for a funeral over the next several days, so I might be unavailable for a while.

Lancelot
8 July 2008, 07:29
Thanks. I'll talk to my local guy and see what he thinks. That'll take a couple of days. Then I have to run our quarterly quals on Friday, and renew my Taser instructor Monday and Tuesday. Somewhere in there i'll get back to you.

Maybe I should just tell the wife I need a new shotgun. [:D]

Lancelot
17 July 2008, 18:32
spealing of optics.....

anyone try an Aimpoint Micro on a shottie?

m24shooter
17 July 2008, 18:44
I haven't tried one, but the people that have seem to love them. Supposed to be a hellacious little optic.
I tried an Eothingy on my SPX, but it was a little awkward. I wouldn't mind trying out a Trijicon Red Dot or the micro.

Lancelot
19 July 2008, 16:49
Last week I renewed my Taser instructor thingy. We got to play with the 12 gauge Taser round. While we didn't get to shoot one, we got to play with an expended one, and watch the new video of Hans getting shot with one.

A regular five second ride on the X-26 hurts. The 12 gauge round is gonna really really suck.

Topmaul
21 July 2008, 03:30
For a shotgun I am al for some kind of light set up. Especially if you want to identify what your about to blast. That would be about it.