PDA

View Full Version : Hand Stop Recommendation

FortTom
4 June 2013, 17:25
I currently have a Gear Sector hand stop on my rifle, and even with my "small-ish" hands, my hand feels like it wants to slide over the stop. This isn't working out too well. I don't want a "grip" style, or anything with a lot of flashy machining that could hang up on skin or gloves.

EDIT... Sorry due to a bad case of brain fade I was going to ask specifically about an angled hand stop such as Magpul's AFG2.
Do any of you use them, pros? cons? Other makers of something like this style? Thank you.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead,

FT

rif4trbo
4 June 2013, 18:25
the magpul handstop kit works better than all other hand stops for me and it's cheap
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/rif4trbo/9435b4c2-5c15-4017-8a87-28a1ed303bf5_zps85e5db85.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Deckard
5 June 2013, 00:33
No experience with forgrips but Strike Industries (http://strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/rifle-enhancements/ar15-platform/vertical-grips/tactical-fore-grip.html) makes one if you are looking for another option.

Quiet-Matt
5 June 2013, 03:00
Try magpul's xtm handstop kit. I don't at all care for the afg because of the bulk it adds. The handstop kit ideal for me and the pieces can be set up in whatever configuration best suits you. The price is right too. Mine was mis-priced at $7.99 ;)

csmith
5 June 2013, 10:44
In the effort of saving you some coin, if you're pushing through a hand stop you may just be exerting a little too much force forward or backward on the stop with your support hand to begin with. If nothing else (and not knowing your level of training obviously), try pulling the rifle into your shoulder using just the pistol grip (strong hand) and using your support hand to do nothing other than keep your barrel from dropping off target. Strong hand controls forward and back, support hand controls up and down.

FortTom
6 June 2013, 13:35
In the effort of saving you some coin, if you're pushing through a hand stop you may just be exerting a little too much force forward or backward on the stop with your support hand to begin with. If nothing else (and not knowing your level of training obviously), try pulling the rifle into your shoulder using just the pistol grip (strong hand) and using your support hand to do nothing other than keep your barrel from dropping off target. Strong hand controls forward and back, support hand controls up and down.
You know, C. you may be right on the money. For years I carried a CAR in the military ( just a fore end) Switched to the M4 (rails and cool stuff) not that awful long ago. I may have developed a bad habit that I wasn't even aware of. It makes perfect sense, I 'll really concentrate on this next week at the range, and see if I'm "pushing" the hand stop.

Thanks for the advice,

FT[:)]

csmith
6 June 2013, 15:13
The only reason my personal AR has never seen a hand stop (which is one of the few aftermarket accessories I can personally find a purpose for) is because I can't equip my issued M4 with one. I'd probably create habits while using my AR I couldn't carry over to my issued firearm which could cause me some grief down the road.

schambers
6 June 2013, 17:07
I have a AFG from Magpul and the one made my strike industries (mentioned above). I like the Strike Induestores grip because its slightly smaller and lets me wrap more of my hand around the rail of the weapon. I also feel like I can get a more firm grip because of the reduced size and angle. I use the grip shown in the picture below. I've only used it on my personal weapon and not an issued one, so I don't really know how it feels attached to a 7" rail.

http://strikeindustries.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/0f396e8a55728e79b48334e699243c07/9/_/9_1_2.jpg

FortTom
6 June 2013, 17:35
Thanks, if I decide to change, I'll check that out (Strike Industries) At this point, in retrospect, I do believe that C.Smith has pointed out my problem, of having formed a bad habit of "pushing" on the hand stop. I'm going to pay special attention to that at the range this week, and see if my problem doesn't stop there, before I start changing out parts. If, things don't improve using C.Smith's advice, I'll look into replacing or removing altogether, the hand stop.

Thanks for your's and other's input,

FT