PDA

View Full Version : Magpul CTR or B5 Bravo

GOST
11 June 2013, 09:47
Working on a new build and trying to decide on a stock. The cheek welds on the STR and Sopmod are a lttle big for my fat Thai face, so I was thinking either CTR or B5 Bravo. Just looking for people who have used both to weigh in on comfort and lock up.

UWone77
11 June 2013, 22:03
Like any accessory, I would encourage you to try both and see what you like the best. The CTR is hands down my favorite stock. It's the perfect blend of function, cheekweld, and weight in my opinion.

usmcar15
13 June 2013, 08:10
I second the CTR. I used Vltor also. CTR is simple, functional, and best for myself. Can't go wrong with the CTR or it's MOE version.

Stickman
14 June 2013, 20:55
I own and use a lot of stocks, but the CTR is on my duty and go to guns.

Gator
23 June 2013, 01:59
CTR or MOE. i havent had the opportunity to try the bravo but i have used the vltor imod. The cheekweld on the imod is great. I assume the bravo would be somewhere in between but the shouldering of the CTR is a winner. I find the imod too forgiving whereas the CTR, with it's more "specific" contour helps get it on the right spot every time.

AKDoug
24 June 2013, 23:18
B5 Sopmod and Bravo are the same shape. The Bravo just doesn't have the storage tubes.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

GOST
25 June 2013, 05:56
There are other differences between the sopmod and bravo than just the battery tubes. The bravo has an angled buttpad rather than a vertical like the sopmod. The bravo is also shorter.

KevinBLC
26 June 2013, 01:43
How about using a MOE? Isn't that have the same cheekweld as a CTR? Is the only benefit of the CTR the lock and the QD holes? I heard that Magpul is putting QD holes on the newer MOE stocks.

SickMAK90
28 October 2014, 20:12
How about using a MOE? Isn't that have the same cheekweld as a CTR? Is the only benefit of the CTR the lock and the QD holes? I heard that Magpul is putting QD holes on the newer MOE stocks.

Having owned several moe stocks, a b5 bravo, and a ctr I can say with confidence the ctr locks up much tighter than the regular moe. My father has an OLD moe and it locks up super tight but the two newer ones I owned had excessive play. I now own a ctr (just got it) and a b5 bravo and I am torn on which I like better. Both weigh 9 1/8oz on my scale but the CTR does have a nice slim look while the b5 is super comfy on the cheek.

FortTom
28 October 2014, 20:30
Every AR and my AR-10 currently wear CTR's. I've tried others. I personally think the B5 is a rattling, piece of junk, that you couldn't sneak up on a brick with. Obviously this is my personal opinion, tailored to my personal tastes, and I'm quite sure others will feel differently, but this is my honest opinion.

FT

DutyUse
28 October 2014, 20:45
I've always had a regular collapsing buttstock or the CTR.

Recently bought a B5 for my newest build but have yet to try it out. Can't go wrong with anything Magpul I've found tho

VIPER 237
28 October 2014, 21:02
I have both and if I had to choose I'd lean slightly to the ctr. You may want to check out the new BCM gunfighter stock as well, it's not much to look at but the locking mechanism is second to none.

schambers
29 October 2014, 05:16
I find the B5 to be more comfortable to shoulder. Never noticed a dramatically better fit between the two. I currently have both on different weapons and plan on giving the CTR to a buddy.

SickMAK90
29 October 2014, 05:42
My only gripe with the b5 is that the buttpad is too sticky.

madscientist24
29 October 2014, 06:45
I have an STR. Love it. Its like a CTR but better as it has a better cheek weld and storage capacity (don't really care about the storage though). I believe it weighs slightly more and is also a little bit more expensive.

Tyrannosaur
29 October 2014, 08:19
http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/02/01/buttstock-bashfest-gearscout-finds-out-just-how-far-tough-talk-goes/ check this article out. May help make your decision. I'm partial to the new LWRC stock but love the CTR too.

Markhunsaker
30 October 2014, 22:05
I prefer the CTR because of the friction lock. It really locks up the stock so there is no rattle or wiggle room.

SickMAK90
31 October 2014, 03:09
http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/02/01/buttstock-bashfest-gearscout-finds-out-just-how-far-tough-talk-goes/ check this article out. May help make your decision. I'm partial to the new LWRC stock but love the CTR too.

I would like to see this test done with the new BCM stock since they put out a video dropping it 14 feet and it still worked afterwards.

MonkeyBomb
31 October 2014, 07:24
I like the CTR but I have never tried the B-5.