PDA

View Full Version : Slip 2000 EWL shelf life?

Eric
15 June 2013, 03:13
As I often do when I place a Brownells order, I included a few clearing supplies that I may or may not need right away, but that will eventually get used. I hadn't tried the Slip 2000 EWL 30 weight CLP before and figured I would add a 4 oz bottle to the order. I've used their regular CLP and it works fine. The order arrived over a year ago and I finally got around to checking it out about a week ago. I popped the seal and tried to dispense the product to get...nothing. Upon checking inside, I found the product had a consistency that was somewhere between thick snot and bearing grease. It wasn't usable. The product has received positive reviews elsewhere, but I was left underwhelmed. An inquiry to the manufacturer has gone unanswered.

So, has anyone found that the EWL has a short shelf life? It almost looks like part of the product evaporated, leaving the thick goo behind.

Not the best photo, but this shows a blob scooped up with a cotton tipped swab.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/IMG_3046.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/AR15forme/media/IMG_3046.jpg.html)

skd_tactical
15 June 2013, 09:51
I have been using EWL for years and I have never seen that happen. I'm surprised they haven't answered you back. I will be very interested in what you find out.

SOS

gatordev
15 June 2013, 16:09
Same here...Several years of use and no issues. As a data point, I've been using the same bottle for about a year now (it's down to the last 10%) and it's been fine. It lives in my garage and I don't always remember to tighten the cap when I'm done.

Slippers
15 June 2013, 18:15
I have one of the really large bottles of EWL that is over 3 years old. It's still fine.

philpac33
16 June 2013, 13:05
I'm thinking you just got a bunk bottle. I went on a kick a few years ago experimenting with every lube, CLP, and cleaner I could find(and get free samples of) resulting in enough to last me the next 10 years(at least). I keep all my weapons clean and properly lubed. A couple months ago while doing an ammunition inventory I found my original 4 oz bottle of Slip 2000 EWL half-hidden in the garage- half full, top not screwed shut, and in seemingly fine condition. I'm a big fan of Slip 2000 EWL. Until I get my hands on some Fireclean to evaluate, my guns will all wear Slip 2000.

Eric
16 June 2013, 17:29
It sounds like an anomaly, which is good news. I'm still interested in talking to them about the product and plan on trying again this week.

Bowser
19 June 2013, 02:13
I have a couple of bottles of EWL that came with LWRC rifles from 2010, and they are the same viscosity as when I first opened the bottles back then.

Eric
13 July 2013, 15:16
About a month ago I talked to a real person there, who was passing my email along to the right person, but no response. Oh well.

Eric
23 November 2013, 23:03
I should have updated this a couple months ago. I was contacted by a rep from Slip2000 who had noticed this post and I was ensured that my experience wasn't acceptable to them. I was promptly sent a replacement for the EWL 30, as well as a bunch of samples that I was able to share at work. The replacement bottle was a night and day difference!

zero7one
24 November 2013, 02:18
I should have updated this a couple months ago. I was contacted by a rep from Slip2000 who had noticed this post and I was ensured that my experience wasn't acceptable to them. I was promptly sent a replacement for the EWL 30, as well as a bunch of samples that I was able to share at work. The replacement bottle was a night and day difference!

I was wondering where those bottles came from. [BD]