PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight holster

philpac33
16 June 2013, 12:04
What flashlight holsters are you guys using? I've always just shoved one in a cargo pocket or back pocket when I carried a light. I took a defensive handgun class last weekend that included some time shooting in a dark house(weapon mounted lights were strongly discouraged for civilians) and it revealed some shortcomings to my pocket carry method. This was especially apparent while performing reloads. A belt holster would have definitely made everything much easier. I'm using a 3-cell Elzetta ZFL-M60 and would prefer to carry bezel down. Kydex seems to be the solution. I was also thinking that something along the lines of an HSGI Pistol Taco might work well also. For EDC(no chest rig or war belt), what are some good solutions for carrying my Elzetta(or other 1" diameter lights)- preferably bezel down?

csmith
16 June 2013, 15:05
I would say maintain your in pocket carry. While it had shortcomings for you that day, walking around day to day with a flashlight holster on your belt would probably cause you to stand out as "that guy". As far as a kydex holster goes, with the bezel down I don't think you'd have much retention due to the fact the widest portion of the flashlight is at the bottom and therefore the main tube would just be sitting in said holster with no support.

If the concern is mostly for defense of your home I think your best bet would remain a weapon mounted light. I'm probably the least likely to advocate for mounting a light to firearms but my "bump in the night" gun is outfitted with an MX3.

UWone77
17 June 2013, 03:28
Did they give a reason why weapon mounted lights were discouraged?

thatdamngoat
17 June 2013, 05:34
I have been runing a double mag and light combo for work from X Concealment. (I'm a supervisor for a national armored car company.) You can get them as just a light holder, http://www.x-concealment.com/Kydex%20Flashlight%20Pouch%20and%20Tactical%20Gear .htm, or with one or two mags, http://www.flccw.com/X-Concealment/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71. It has been holding my Surefire P2ZX for about 5 months. Even with the light and a couple of mags, I can still pull a polo over it all and run an IWB holster and conceal it pretty well. I imagine that if you dropped it down to just one mag, or the stand alone, that it would be even easier. That said, I usually just run a mounted light in an Armadillo Concealment X-fer. Anyone that has shot at night should be convinced that weapon mounted light is the ideal way to go, if you can pull it off.

Cosmoline
17 June 2013, 12:58
Did they give a reason why weapon mounted lights were discouraged?

They discourage civilians and the less trained from using them because they have a tendency of using them as a mere flashlight and forget that there is weapon attached. They end up pointing it at everything.

philpac33
17 June 2013, 21:21
Cosmoline pretty much summed it up regarding these instructor's views on civilian WML on handguns. Pointing your gun/WML at unintended targets can also land you in hot water. I contacted this academy ahead of time to see if WMLs were allowed since the gear requirement specifically listed a "clicky" tailcap flashlight. I prefer a mounted light but I do my best to go along with whatever each particular school/instructor is teaching.

Pilgrim
30 June 2013, 23:51
Raven Concealment makes my torch holster. It works great as I carry a Surefire E2L Defender and that bezel can cut through fabric pretty quick.