PDA

View Full Version : Knights Armament

KevinBLC
26 June 2013, 01:51
Can someone tell my why Knights Armament stuff is so expensive? I'm not just talking about their guns, which seem to be priced at market, but $40 for an Aimpoint battery cap? $350 for a RAS Carbine Rail? $350 for a scope mount? Man they are proud of their stuff! Just doesn't seem like the market would support these kinds of prices.

Calengor
26 June 2013, 03:49
If the market wouldn't support it, they wouldn't be charging it. Clearly people are willing to pay the prices for their stuff. They also have to recoup their costs from development and production.

Cosmoline
8 July 2013, 12:10
Can someone tell my why Knights Armament stuff is so expensive? I'm not just talking about their guns, which seem to be priced at market, but $40 for an Aimpoint battery cap? $350 for a RAS Carbine Rail? $350 for a scope mount? Man they are proud of their stuff! Just doesn't seem like the market would support these kinds of prices.

To weed out the riffraff ;0)

Hatter
8 July 2013, 13:26
I truly believe that if you search the internet long enough you will find an even number of those people who love a given company and those who hate a given company. It is a matter of opinion and eventually someone will give a company a bad review.

So far as I can remember, I have never read one bad word about KAC. I can't even think of a component failure... I'm sure they have their failures, most hard use gear will fail at some point, but I can't think of one.

In the case of KAC, as with other companies such as LaRue, you get what you pay for.

KevinBLC
8 July 2013, 17:26
To weed out the riffraff ;0)

Fair Enough :D

I'm just wondering how many people were still buying say a KAC RAS for $350, or even the seconds for $150. You can buy a pretty nice rail that isn't 7" for that kind of money. We are talking about drop in non-free float rails. I guess I'm just wonder why their pricing doesn't keep up with the times?

Don't get me wrong, I like KAC, I just wish their pricing was a little more in-line, especially for their older stuff.

GOST
10 July 2013, 19:31
They probably over price their stuff to get theirs before others rip off their designs. A lot of comps on the market are copies of the triple tap. The MAMS will be copied next. Knights spends a lot of money in research and development to have others reverse engineer their products. Would be nice if their stuff was cheaper though so I could afford a SR-15.

UWone77
10 July 2013, 19:53
They probably over price their stuff to get theirs before others rip off their designs. A lot of comps on the market are copies of the triple tap. The MAMS will be copied next. Knights spends a lot of money in research and development to have others reverse engineer their products. Would be nice if their stuff was cheaper though so I could afford a SR-15.

In my opinion the KAC SR15 is the gold standard. Ambi lower, pretty good trigger, URX II Rail, SOPMOD, and the E3 Bolt make it hard to beat once you add up the extras.

csmith
10 July 2013, 21:52
This discussion could end up like the Arc'teryx thread. In the end, some will find the designed utility (or perceived status elevation) useful in the more expensive KAC products. Same goes for LaRue and others. For the rest of us, less expensive simplicity will work just fine.

rob_s
11 July 2013, 06:06
In many ways it is the same as the boutique clothing thing, in that if you're only buying and SR15 to put it in the safe you are about as silly as the guy that buys arcteryx to wear to the mall. However, in both cases it's your money and you can do what you want with it.

With that said, if you are going to use the features of an SR15, pretty much only and SR15 will do.

However I don't think anyone is paying retail for an original RIS/RAS, and even the seconds and used parts are only being purchased by those that are building replicas, etc.

KevinBLC
15 July 2013, 17:36
In many ways it is the same as the boutique clothing thing, in that if you're only buying and SR15 to put it in the safe you are about as silly as the guy that buys arcteryx to wear to the mall. However, in both cases it's your money and you can do what you want with it.

With that said, if you are going to use the features of an SR15, pretty much only and SR15 will do.

However I don't think anyone is paying retail for an original RIS/RAS, and even the seconds and used parts are only being purchased by those that are building replicas, etc.

rob, I've always liked your posts, so I'm curious, what is your go-to carbine or the one you use the most? I'm guessing it's not a KAC.

rob_s
16 July 2013, 03:02
Colt 6933.

KevinBLC
17 July 2013, 03:03
Colt 6933.

Thank you sir, I may just have to rethink my go-to carbine purchase back to a Colt.

rob_s
17 July 2013, 05:33
Thank you sir, I may just have to rethink my go-to carbine purchase back to a Colt.

FWIW, I would have no issue using a vetted SR15 either. I primarily want a quality, factory-built, gun with minimal fiddle-fucking as my "go to" and the KAC is one that meets that criteria with several upgrades.

I'm interested to see their URX4 as well.