Computalotapus
3 July 2013, 11:15
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg.jpg

UCWRG Boxed Receiver Set

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg1.jpg

UCWRG FDE Receiver Set

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/lpk-phase5.jpg

Phase 5 Tactical Lower Parts Kit

I will post everything as we get it and the assembly process.

UWone77
3 July 2013, 13:50
That looks like a great start! What other components are you going to be using? Or is that still yet to be determined?

Computalotapus
3 July 2013, 15:36
Gonna put in a BAD-ASS, S3G trigger, Phase 5 EBRv2, Phase 5 BCG and Charging handle, either a CTR or CAR stock, DD 14.5" Light Barrel, Phase 5 brake and their 13.5" rail (13oz), Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. This is for the wife.

UWone77
3 July 2013, 16:15
Gonna put in a BAD-ASS, S3G trigger, Phase 5 EBRv2, Phase 5 BCG and Charging handle, either a CTR or CAR stock, DD 14.5" Light Barrel, Phase 5 brake and their 13.5" rail (13oz), Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. This is for the wife.

On a big Phase 5 kick I see... Sounds like they made a great impression on you.

Looks like a nice list of parts, can't wait to see the pictures.

TripleBravo
3 July 2013, 21:27
Wow...I just did a build yesterday using an UCWRG FDE set. Honestly, I think it's my favorite all time build...have to wait on photos for a few days though.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out! Keep us posted!!!

Computalotapus
4 July 2013, 07:55
On a big Phase 5 kick I see... Sounds like they made a great impression on you.

Looks like a nice list of parts, can't wait to see the pictures.

Kyle at Phase 5 was awesome when we stopped by. Customer service is huge for me. Plus I have seen this rail they are coming out with. They finished production the other day and are headed for coating this coming week. They are nice clean looking rails.

Honestly before meeting them I was dead set on a Fortis REV 14". Dead set on BCM Comp. The Phase 5 brake the wife picked because she overheard Kyle telling me that it is extremely loud. And was still up in the air on what BCG I should get. I like their battery assist device because it is a one piece that is the bolt catch. The magpul and tactical link are addons to the existing catch.

TripleBravo can't wait to see your pictures. The wife and I follow your Instagram feed. And she is always Oooh'n and Ahhh'n over the pictures you and Stick post. And she is always asking me "Why don't we have that kind of money to have all the guns and gear they have?"

Deckard
5 July 2013, 16:30
Anyone have experience with Phase 5's BCG?

Computalotapus
7 July 2013, 07:40
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg-lower.jpg

Wife wanted to see what it would look like. Slapped in the LPK will be replacing the trigger and safety selector next week with the upgrades. Ordering the trigger guard today.

And yes she didn't want to use the UCWRG Grip or the one that came in the lower parts kit. She likes the feel of the Hogue grip for some odd reason. I told her those 2 extra grips give me a reason to build 2 more rifles :)

UWone77
8 July 2013, 00:40
That FDE Umbrella lower is really growing on me.

TripleBravo
8 July 2013, 23:16
I don't want to hijack your thread...but here's how my lower turned out:

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/umbrella%20corporation/UC-FDElower-Build01-1500-B3_zpsa6facf80.jpg

Computalotapus
9 July 2013, 04:43
I don't want to hijack your thread...but here's how my lower turned out

Post away man. I am waiting on the BAD-ASS and Buffer assembly to get here still. Wife picked the CTR stock. Phase 5 is custom cerakoting the trigger guard and rail for us. The upper is going to take us a few months to complete :(

Computalotapus
9 July 2013, 20:13
Buffer Tube Assembly came in the mail today. Also ordered a AR-15/M-16/M4 Armorer's Tool that came in. Picked up a Craftsman punch set (lifetime warranty=free replacements) and non-marring hammer. This build has become an excuse to get all the tools at the same time.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg02.jpg

Computalotapus
12 July 2013, 11:57
Wife and I took lunch together headed on over to the local gun shop. She picked herself something "sexy" out (her words not mine)http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg-ctr1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleBravo
12 July 2013, 20:19
He said he didn't mind if I posted in his thread so....

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/umbrella%20corporation/UCWRG-FDEbuild-left01-1500-B3_zps22db1431.jpg

TripleBravo
12 July 2013, 20:20
The B5 Systems color match kind of sucks...You'll be much happier with the Magpul CTR I think.

Computalotapus
13 July 2013, 08:41
He said he didn't mind if I posted in his thread so....

Is that a vortex sparc? The wife suprisingly picked the vortex viper pst 1-4x24 as her optic of choice. And as promised....

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg-ctr2.jpg

GOST
13 July 2013, 09:43
That optic is a Trijicon SRS

Computalotapus
13 July 2013, 09:51
That optic is a Trijicon SRS

Thanks. And I wish I had Trijicon $$ haha I build on a budget

UWone77
13 July 2013, 20:21
Thanks. And I wish I had Trijicon $$ haha I build on a budget

This is your wife's gun isn't it? There is no budget! ;) .... especially now your wife is a member.

akersc
14 July 2013, 08:48
There is a budget, I want more guns!

TripleBravo
14 July 2013, 12:06
Is that a vortex sparc? The wife suprisingly picked the vortex viper pst 1-4x24 as her optic of choice. And as promised....

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg-ctr2.jpg

If you're talking about my build, it's sporting a Trijicon SRS. I just put a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 on another build of mine. I'll be interested to hear how your wife likes the optic.

akersc
14 July 2013, 16:38
If you're talking about my build, it's sporting a Trijicon SRS. I just put a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 on another build of mine. I'll be interested to hear how your wife likes the optic.

How do you like it? I have just looked through it really quick at the store.

Computalotapus
15 July 2013, 05:56
Project is going to kinda slow down here as we put the $$ together to get the last of the items from Phase 5.

I have a question though for you all that have more experience. Carbine length vs Mid length gas systems? My understanding is that the carbine length was made for the 14.5" barrel and the mid length came out for the 16"+ barrel. Now we can skip all the details about the rails as that doesn't matter because we are going with a low profile gas block an there will be no FSB. From what I read the mid length gas system will offer a slightly smoother recoil? But I think I would need to worry about proper cycling of rounds with a lower powered ammo. I mainly run PMC XTAC ammo. We will also be running a brake on this as well don't know if that comes into play. Any feedback on this is very appreciated.

gatordev
15 July 2013, 17:08
Project is going to kinda slow down here as we put the $$ together to get the last of the items from Phase 5.

I have a question though for you all that have more experience. Carbine length vs Mid length gas systems? My understanding is that the carbine length was made for the 14.5" barrel and the mid length came out for the 16"+ barrel. Now we can skip all the details about the rails as that doesn't matter because we are going with a low profile gas block an there will be no FSB. From what I read the mid length gas system will offer a slightly smoother recoil? But I think I would need to worry about proper cycling of rounds with a lower powered ammo. I mainly run PMC XTAC ammo. We will also be running a brake on this as well don't know if that comes into play. Any feedback on this is very appreciated.

I am by no means as educated on the intricacies of gas systems as some here, but anecdotally, I've run several makes of mid-length guns (Noveske, Spikes...which was a 14.5), as well as intermediate length (Noveske, KAC....and yeah, I know they're not exactly the same, but they're both longer than middy) all with PMC XTAC and I've had zero issues. That's probably out of AT LEAST ~2000-2500 rounds of PMC. If you're interested in a middy, I wouldn't sweat the PMC working in it.

UWone77
15 July 2013, 17:29

I recall when BCM first came out with their 14.5 Middy, everyone was raving what a smooth shooter it was. I have 3 14.5 BCM Middy's as well as probably 10 other middy's. I don't find that they shoot any softer than comparable carbine gas systems in 14.5 or 16. I think the entire Middy gas system has been over blown as far as how much "softer" it shoots or recoils. Maybe it's just me, but I find nothing wrong with carbine gas systems. After all the Colt 6920, which in my mind is still the standard for M4 patterned rifles is a carbine gas system, and is one of the more reliable guns out there.

Either way as long as you go with a reputable manufacturer, you will likely be satisfied. Personal experience has taught me that certain middy's need to be tuned to run 100%.

Computalotapus
20 July 2013, 07:45
Upper parts kit from PSA came in the mail yesterday. The ejection port cover is from Phase 5 Tactical. Picked up the upper parts kits from PSA for the sale price of $29.99 great deal

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg-psa.jpg

UWone77
20 July 2013, 14:26
Unrelated to this, I ordered a Phase 5 pistol receiver extension kit. All because of how you raved about their customer service Computalotapus.

Computalotapus
20 July 2013, 21:30
Unrelated to this, I ordered a Phase 5 pistol receiver extension kit. All because of how you raved about their customer service Computalotapus.

They do offer discounts to LEO and Military

UWone77
20 July 2013, 22:35
They do offer discounts to LEO and Military

Oh I made sure to get my 10% off :D

Computalotapus
1 August 2013, 07:54
So was ordering the BAD-ASS today while sitting at work.. boss came up behind me while I was ordering it.. He said "Oh order me one while you are there I will get you cash for it now". So I just tossed in the extra lever and barrel. Wife is placing an order with Kyle over at P5T for the BCG, ABL Charging Handle, Brake, and their Revo Sling plate. On the 15th the DD 14.5" LW carbine barrel w/ low pro gas block and gas tube will be ordered. The hold on after that will be waiting for P5T to finish up the 13.5" rail, they will cerakote the rail and the trigger guard in FDE for us along with a little customization that has been requested. So more assembly pictures soon

After this build I think I am going to invest money on a nice camera

UWone77
1 August 2013, 19:00
After this build I think I am going to invest money on a nice camera

The experts will tell you it's all about the lighting and setup!

Computalotapus
1 August 2013, 19:59

Yep already looking at plans for a light box.

Got email confirmation everything that was ordered today shipped so we might see progress come Monday night

jbjh
2 August 2013, 21:50

Buy the camera body and lens separate. The low-end kit lenses are not worth the money for what you get.

KevinBLC
3 August 2013, 18:45
Did I miss it? What optic are you going with?

Computalotapus
3 August 2013, 19:44
Did I miss it? What optic are you going with?

She picked out the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24

Computalotapus
5 August 2013, 10:20
got the packages today

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg-mail.jpg

Computalotapus
5 August 2013, 16:08
Today received from Phase 5 Tactical: Ambi-Battle Latch Charging Handle, BCG, Revo-Sling Plate, and Muzzle Brake. From Battle Arms Development received the BAD-ASS with Standard/Short setup

http://computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg-abl.jpg

http://computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg-bcg.jpg

http://computalotapus.com/images/ucwrg-revo.jpg

KevinBLC
14 August 2013, 17:54
Any updates with the barrel? I'm impatient obviously

Computalotapus
14 August 2013, 18:14
Any updates with the barrel? I'm impatient obviously

Payday is tomorrow. Will be placing the order with Daniel Defense for a 14.5" Carbine Length CHF barrel. I know it's slowed down. With the kids going back to school here soon gun $$ gets a little slim. Part by part as we can do it.

akersc
16 August 2013, 06:09
You know I look at all of the posts you guys have on my rifle and I chuckle a little. They say women are impatient, you guys are like kids at Christmas :) I love all f the comments and support ya'll have given!

Computalotapus
21 August 2013, 09:49
Barrel, gas block, gas tube came in today. Dropped the rifle off at the local gunsmith to have the muzzle brake pinned. Should be getting it back soon will post pictures then.

It is almost done. Rail and optic are the only two items left to get.

Computalotapus
13 September 2013, 09:56
Rail from Phase 5 came in today. Now this rail is not like the 7.5" they release and looks nothing like the longer versions. This was a rail that the wife noticed in Kyle's office. Kyle said these will not be for the public and very few where made ( less than 10 ). The wife knew this was the rail she
had to have and after talking with Kyle for some time he offered it up to her.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/p5t-rail.jpg

KevinBLC
13 September 2013, 14:01
Nice!!! Looks like you are almost done.

Can't wait for the final pic and range report.

Computalotapus
13 September 2013, 17:31

Thanks Kevin. We had to drop it off at the gun smith to get the brake pinned. Probably wont get it back till Wednesday. We are going to put my SPARC on it temporarily till we get the Viper purchased. The wife is really looking forward to taking it out and putting rounds through it.

Got to see the upper mocked up and it looks good. Over all I am very happy with the parts we have picked out.

Found a local firearms manufacturer today ( the guy actually pinning the break ). They make billet lowers and are getting ready to start making billet uppers. Might try his receiver set for the next build. They looked clean and made of the right material with flared mag wells.

akersc
15 September 2013, 18:46

As soon as I get the rifle back I will do a Range report, be gentle though it will be my first time :)

Computalotapus
19 September 2013, 05:06
Parts Vendor/Source Price Paid

Lower Parts

Winter Trigger Guard-- Phase 5 Tactical-- $22.50
Revolving Sling Attatchment-- Phase 5 Tactical-- $65.00
Lower Parts Kit-- Phase 5 Tactical-- $65.00
EBRv2-- Phase 5 Tactical-- $49.99
Hogue Grip-- Hogue Online Store-- $31.00
Buffer Assembly Kit-- William's Gun Shop-- $49.95
MagPul CTR Stock MilSpec-- William's Gun Shop-- $85.00
BAD-ASS-- Battle Arms Development-- $65.00

Reciever Set

UCWRG FDE Set-- UCWRG-- $360.00

Upper Parts Kit-- PSA-- $29.99
13.5" Rail-- Phase 5 Tactical-- $140.00
BCG-- Phase 5 Tactical-- $160.00
Battle Latch Charging Handle-- Phase 5 Tactical-- $75.00
Muzzle Brake-- Phase 5 Tactical-- $59.99
14.5" LW Barrel Carbine Length-- BCM-- $239.00
.625 Clamp Lo/Pro Gas Block-- BCM-- $45.00
Carbine Length Gas Tube-- BCM-- $13.00
Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24-- William's Gun Shop -- $498.00

Purchased 1555.42

Total $2,053.42

This is what my spreadsheet looks like. Started this at the beginning of the build. Still need to order the Optic but she is running with my SPARC right now. We took it out last night and put 100 rounds through it. I will let the wife give the range report.

akersc
19 September 2013, 07:06
So after months of waiting and $1500 later, I finally got to hold and fire my baby last night. I am going to start from the beginning and then end with my final range report. This build all started because I did not like the heaviness or feel of Jason's AR. I wanted something easier to use and lighter. So Jason set out looking for parts to do just that! He researched for weeks finding all of the parts he had gotten recommendations on and found on his own. He had the spreadsheet ready to go, and then we went on our honeymoon and dropped by Phase5 Tactical to pick up a part for his AR. From the moment I walked in and shook Kyle's hand I knew the build was about to change. I noticed a rail and break on his desk and asked if I could hold them, he told me all about them and I fell in love! So when we got back to Michigan and started the build I told Jason I wanted to purchase the parts I had seen instead of the ones he had picked, with no hesitation he said yes! From there we switched out my BCG, Charging Handle, Break, Rail and Sling Plate. The customer service and patience that Phase5 had with me was amazing to say the least. I was even able to get a rail that will never be released to the public because I had to have the one that I touched when I was there. I highly recommend them to anyone looking at getting any of the parts I just listed, or a bad ass pistol! I also got the pleasure of working with Roger at Battle Arms and he is a rockstar as well. He was quick to answer me when the wrong safety selector showed up. He was going to overnight the correct part. I have not met one person/vendor through this build that I would not use again. So with that being said now on to the range report.

As soon as we got to the range last night I had to let Jason take the first shot, he did build it after all. I sat patiently waiting for my turn. The charging handle from Phase5 is the easiest one I have ever pulled back, it is light, easy and very quick to pull. The safety selector is the smoothest I have ever used. I found that the EBRv2 is the most amazing invention for the AR, if you don't have one, you need to get one, call Kyle at Phase5 you won’t be sorry! The muzzle break is mean looking and loud as hell, but I love it. You can feel it in your chest when you are standing behind the shooter, it is so flipping cool. There is ZERO pull on this rifle when you shoot, it has a minor push back but that is it! I am small and my collarbone sticks out like crazy, but the Magupul stock fits perfectly, I take it off and throw it on Jason's when we take his rifle I love it that much. I put the Hogue grip on because I like the modeled grips better than the flat ones, it fits like a glove. We were going to purchase a fancy trigger for it, but the trigger that we got with the lower parts kit from Phase5 is so very very smooth, I kept it and am glad I did. The Umbrella Corp receiver set was bought because Jason knows I love Resident Evil. But it is beautiful and perfect. The whole rifle just works smooth. There are three parts left and she will be smoking hot, I still need my optic (Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24), the sling, which of course will come from Phase5 (I just got so excited about the rail I forgot to have Kyle send it) and the WML from InForce.

There may be minor imperfections, but no one is perfect, she is perfectly flawed just like me and I love it. I would not and will not change a thing on this rifle. I am blessed to have such and amazing husband that did not get frustrated after I changed up the build he spent countless hours researching. I am really happy that I got to look at ll of your comments on here and see what everyone had to say about the parts we have put on here. I am also blessed to have made friends along the way. Thank you all so very much for your help and if you haven't called Phase 5 yet....What the hell are you waiting for ;)

PS- This is my first time doing a range report so go easy on me.

mustangfreek
19 September 2013, 13:54
What no pics ...[crazy].....[:D]

akersc
19 September 2013, 14:10
What no pics ...[crazy].....[:D]

Crap I don't know how you're lucky I was able to do the report 😉

akersc
19 September 2013, 15:29
Umbrella Corp HUUCR FDE Receiver Set, Hogue Grip, Phase 5 Tactical Trigger Guard & EBRv2, Battle Arms Development Ambi-Safety Selector
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/final/pic1.jpg

Phase 5 Tactical Muzzle Brake, BCM CHF 14.5" LW Profile Carbine Length Barrel, BCM Low Profile Gas Block, Phase 5 Tactical 13.5" Rail
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/final/pic11.jpg

Taking a Nap
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/final/pic12.jpg

Phase 5 Tactical BCG, P5T Ejection Port Cover
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/final/pic13.jpg

P5T 13.5" Rail, Thorntail 45 degree offset WML mount ( light is on the list to order )
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/final/pic2.jpg

Close up of Thorntail
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/final/pic3.jpg

BAD-ASS, P5T Ambi Battle Latch charging handle
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/final/pic5.jpg

P5T Revo Sling Plate
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/final/pic7.jpg

MagPul CTR Stock with Extended Butt Pad
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/final/pic8.jpg

Ambi Battle Latch
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/final/pic9.jpg

Computalotapus
19 September 2013, 15:37
Pictures reminded me to go punch that trigger guard pin all the way in..... :(

Vic
19 September 2013, 21:38
So after months of waiting and $1500 later, I finally got to hold and fire my baby last night. . . There may be minor imperfections, but no one is perfect, she is perfectly flawed just like me and I love it. I would not and will not change a thing on this rifle. I am blessed to have such and amazing husband that did not get frustrated after I changed up the build he spent countless hours researching. I am really happy that I got to look at ll of your comments on here and see what everyone had to say about the parts we have put on here. I am also blessed to have made friends along the way. Thank you all so very much for your help and if you haven't called Phase 5 yet....What the hell are you waiting for ;)

PS- This is my first time doing a range report so go easy on me.

After reading your range report, I think that both you and your husband are very lucky to have each other. Have fun shooting together and keep us all posted down the line with the rifle, it looks great. Additionally, if your rifle was perfect, you might be scared to shoot it lest you cause any scratches or dings.

akersc
20 September 2013, 04:26
After reading your range report, I think that both you and your husband are very lucky to have each other. Have fun shooting together and keep us all posted down the line with the rifle, it looks great. Additionally, if your rifle was perfect, you might be scared to shoot it lest you cause any scratches or dings.

She already has dings, she's perfectly imperfect. :)

Jerry R
20 September 2013, 13:54
Nice pix for not knowing how [:D] Thanks for the post - interesting read.

akersc
20 September 2013, 14:08

Haha I had the hubby do it :)

Computalotapus
20 September 2013, 14:16

I took the pics and uploaded then to my blog site showed her how to link them in a post.

My experience with this platform is limited to the M203 I carried while in the service and the S&W M&P 15 I got earlier this year. This build has been fun and educational for both of us.

Now with that said I will say I want to steal the trigger out of the wife's weapon as it is way smoother than mine, very little draw, crisp break and a short reset. The ambi battle latch works but me being a RH'r everything works. The EBRv2 is smooth. Can work the bolt catch from fire control easily and still work it with the support hand like normal. For mag changes I still have muscle memory to just pivot up and press the bolt release.
The rail feels really small in my hand and with that said I can see why my wife likes it. It fits her perfectly. The brake is the first time using something other than the standard flash hider. Standing unsupported the weapon stays flat for me.
We put about 100 rounds through it the other night. It ran smooth except near the end had some FTE. Got home the BCG was caked with grease and the extractor was gummed up. Soaked them in cleaner gave them a good scrubbing and a light application of clp. Next weekend plan on running it again to make sure she is good to go.

KevinBLC
20 September 2013, 15:25
When are you starting the next build?

Computalotapus
19 November 2013, 04:57
When are you starting the next build?

Next build starts in late January early February

Just a quick update on this build. When we first took it to the range we had some FTE and Failure to Lock to the rear. Brought it home inspected everything and cleaned the mess out of it. Back to the range, I am confident that the thorough cleaning solved the FTE issue as the bolt had a lot of cosmoline caked in it. Was still getting the failure to lock to the rear issue. So it was either a gas issue or I made a mistake and got to heavy of a buffer. Swapped the buffer out from a heavy to a standard and had no issues from the rifle.

The wife is extremely happy and punching out the center @ 50 yards with the vortex sparc. Still waiting to get the viper pst 1-4. Will update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)