PDA

View Full Version : Lights...Flashlight; where to put it?

jeffy
12 July 2008, 20:04
So, I'm in the middle of putting a light on my AR but I've come to a crossroad. Where to mount it? Well, let me elaborate on this since it's more specific then that. I have a 14.5" LMT upper with a DD Omega 7" rail. I also bought one of the new Vltor Offset mounts.

I'm planning on getting a Surefire G2L to go in the mount and the question is where to mount it. I've see some people like to have the light low and use a 5 or 7 o'clock position while others like it up high at the 11 or 1 o'clock position. Now, I also have a TD vert. grip so the most obvious position is down low so I can hit the tail cap button.

What's the advantage of having it up higher? The only thing I can come up with is that it's more inline with your line of sight.

[pop]

m24shooter
13 July 2008, 05:36
I run mine low. That allows me to operate the tail switch without a remote tape and cord arrangement. The offset mount and VFG lets me simply push my thumb forward and engage the tail cap.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/aspgen2m4mavwm.jpg

Stickman
13 July 2008, 10:40
jeffy,

I know guys who leave it up high because they don't run a VFG, and its easier to actuate the light that way. I know others who run it down at the 5 or 7 position for the same reason.

When using a VFG, lower mounting seems to work out much better for most people. Much like M24Shooter, I dislike a pressure pad, and use a push button on my lights.

If you are using a VFG, try mounting the light on both sides, and seeing how you like using your thumb each way. Sometimes putting the light opposite of the side you would usually think works out nicely.

BRD Jerm
13 July 2008, 15:21
when i was running a G3L,i liked it at 9 o'clock.worked well for me with a VFG,as i didnt hold the VFG with my thumb.it was more comfortable having my thumb straight up(slightly tilted forward),which placed in right on the tailcap of the G3...an offset arround 8 would have worked well also.

103m 95g
14 July 2008, 01:50
I believe it all comes down to personal preference and its position being comfortable for you. also the selected position not being in conflict with the rest of your kit.