PDA

View Full Version : Necessary AR tools/spare parts?

jvencius
17 July 2008, 15:59
Apart from the big stuff (i.e. assembled bolt, firing pin, etc... that I'll probably stick in a MIAD grip), what spare parts and AR-specific tools would the more knowledgeable AR 'smiths recommend keeping on hand? I'm about to place a Brownell's order and if there are some little, easy-to-lose (esp. if they're spring-loaded) parts/pins/etc... that I should have in the toolbox I might as well order them BEFORE I need them and avoid taking my AR out of action. It's breathtaking--the once or twice a year I order from Brownell's the $6.99 widget I genuinely need ends up costing me $200... [wow]

TigerStripe
17 July 2008, 21:36
Always buy extra springs and detents. Gas rings are good to have around... There are more true pros here than me, I'll let them add what they think.

TS

Stickman
17 July 2008, 22:08
I try to keep a lower parts kit or two on hand all the time. They make a great supply of extra parts, and its cheaper than picking up pieces on an individual basis.

Part of the answer becomes how many weapons you are looking to maintain. I would never ask someone to list out how many weapons they have, but I'll point out that there is a large difference between having 1 AR15, and having 5, 10, or enough on hand to sustain multiple squads.

If you don't have a good barrel wrench, its worth getting one, as is an action block. Again, part of this becomes what you are looking to do. If you have one AR15, its a lot different than being the person who has LEO and MIL showing up at their house at odd times expecting to be able to get things fixed ASAP, or being able to build multiple configurations on a moments notice.

I don't have a second thought about having extra barrels and receivers laying around as extra parts.

CAPT KIRK
22 July 2008, 20:40
Anyone have feedback on the McFarland one piece coiled gas ring for the AR bolt? Looks like a great idea, just wondering if it realy works out.

TigerStripe
22 July 2008, 21:01
Anyone have feedback on the McFarland one piece coiled gas ring for the AR bolt? Looks like a great idea, just wondering if it realy works out.

I'm curious about that one as well.

TS

Stickman
22 July 2008, 22:04

I've heard positive things about them, and I've heard people say that they don't' make a functional weapon function any better. I've never felt a need to use them myself, I have run an AR15/M16 with only one ring, and I've run them with weak rings, and they still run. A well maintained AR platform involves doing a check of the gas rings and seeing if they still meet spec. Its easy enough to do, and rings are cheap to swap out if needed.

If it helps any, I don't think they are a downgrade, but I'm not sure they are needed.

CAPT KIRK
23 July 2008, 05:48
Just thinking anything that might give Mr. Murphy grief is a good thing.

Eric
23 July 2008, 08:10
Anyone have feedback on the McFarland one piece coiled gas ring for the AR bolt? Looks like a great idea, just wondering if it really works out. I'm running one in one of my weapons...just because. The rings were well worn and I had a McFarland laying around so I slapped it in. They fit tighter than standard rings and I have heard of them causing problems due to the tight fit in some weapons. Mine runs fine, but then again in was still running okay with the worn rights. I'm indifferent to them at this point. As long as you ensure that it functions in your particular weapon, I don't see a reason not to use one.

103m 95g
24 July 2008, 04:59
Every time my spare pars box gets filled, another AR is built, dont ask how that happens it just does.
as for the 1 piece gas ring I run one in a 6x45 AR. I cannot tell the diffrence in performance.