PDA

View Full Version : Crappy Freeway Drivers

UWone77
4 August 2013, 21:29
Recently, I moved which has caused me to communte 35 minutes each way, most of which is on the freeway. This is a far cry from my 10 minute former commute, which was all on surface city roads. A few observations in the last 30 days:

People merging onto the freeway at 35-40 MPH

People going 60 MPH or less in the passing lanes

People going 60 MPH or less in all lanes, thus creating a roving roadblock

People speeding up to merge into your lane as there is a 1/4 vehicle gap, vs. merging in behind you where there are no vehicles.

People doing everything in their car, talking on the phone, eating, arguing, texting, putting on make up, reading the paper, everything known to man, EXCEPT driving their vehicle.

I'm just going to come out and say it. PEOPLE SUCK AT DRIVING. If more people would just pay attention to actually driving, I think, no.... I know there would be less slow downs on the freeway. I don't know where these people learned how to drive, but it's painfully obvious they need to be re-tested.

Rant Off.

csmith
4 August 2013, 21:37
You just described my daily commute to and from work. On a 3 lane interstate highway I've found there are unofficial speed limits. The first/merge lane is about 25 mph, that way everyone is close enough to one another to ensure you can't safely merge in and none of them care. The middle lane is probably going about 90 mph, that way once you get into that first lane you're not going to safely get into the second to make any good time. The third lane must be moving at the speed of fart, because God forbid the fast lane moves..fast..

You know it's bad when an interstate drive takes you the same amount of time as driving on normal streets that have a 10 mile longer distance and a probably a dozen traffic lights.

UWone77
4 August 2013, 22:00
You just described my daily commute to and from work. On a 3 lane interstate highway I've found there are unofficial speed limits. The first/merge lane is about 25 mph, that way everyone is close enough to one another to ensure you can't safely merge in and none of them care. The middle lane is probably going about 90 mph, that way once you get into that first lane you're not going to safely get into the second to make any good time. The third lane must be moving at the speed of fart, because God forbid the fast lane moves..fast..

You know it's bad when an interstate drive takes you the same amount of time as driving on normal streets that have a 10 mile longer distance and a probably a dozen traffic lights.

Well only thing about surface roads... people are so preoccupied with their cell phones, they don't pay attention to the green lights, which of course prevents me from making the light since it takes them an extra 15 seconds to realize the light has turned.

Wondering Beard
5 August 2013, 10:18
Recently, I moved [...] Rant Off.

You moved to Maryland?

;-)

MoxyDave
5 August 2013, 10:42
I just got back from LA and I honestly can't complain now that I'm back home. Not that the drivers are any better here, there are just far fewer of them :-)

Deckard
5 August 2013, 16:48
I love when drivers in the slow lane cross over into the fast lane and continue to drive at the same speed. LA is the worst.

UWone77
5 August 2013, 18:44
Another one to the list today ... how could I forget... people who speed up in the exit only lane, only to cut you off and change lanes at the last minute. You knew you had to be in the other lane the whole time, but were just too cool for school to merge appropriately.

YOU SUCK.

colbyslanbia
22 August 2013, 04:02
Another one to the list today ... how could I forget... people who speed up in the exit only lane, only to cut you off and change lanes at the last minute. You knew you had to be in the other lane the whole time, but were just too cool for school to merge appropriately.

well i had the same experience and i think it's happened cause of noobie drivers

UWone77
23 December 2013, 00:15
And... my latest favorite. People who have misaligned headlights. Of course the misaligned headlight will undoubtedly angle to hit your rear view mirror just right, blinding you in the process. A special shout out to those 3 drivers I encountered last week!

GOST
31 January 2014, 05:27
I have a phobia of mini-van drivers. There always on the phone and screaming at their kids, but they still are probably better drivers than me.

Chewy
31 January 2014, 06:06
And... my latest favorite. People who have misaligned headlights. Of course the misaligned headlight will undoubtedly angle to hit your rear view mirror just right, blinding you in the process. A special shout out to those 3 drivers I encountered last week!

At least they're using their lights. Around here it's common knowledge to leave your lights off during inclement weather, dusk, night .... well you get the picture.

browcs
31 January 2014, 18:35
Don't come to south FL....you'll hate our plethora of craptastic drivers.