PDA

View Full Version : A good day at the range

gatordev
15 August 2013, 17:26
Figured I'd share this as some may appreciate it...

Growing up, I wasn't really exposed to firearms very much. Occasionally I'd shoot a handgun when different friends of the family would invite my dad and I to a range and I'd enjoy it, but it wasn't a regular thing and other than a flare gun, there weren't ever any firearms in the house. When I was 18 and in college, my dad bought me a Colt 1991A1 for Xmas. I enjoyed shooting it, but I enjoyed shooting it more when I'd come home and would go to the range with my dad.

Other than occasionally qualifying on the M11 or M16 in the military (or doing the occasional GUNEXes in a helo), I didn't shoot that often until the last 3 or 4 years. While getting back into shooting, I still enjoyed taking my dad to the range and playing with whatever toy I brought that day. I remember one range trip, I brought a resurrected Winchester 62 that was HIS dad's that hadn't been shot in decades. It was fun to shoot it with him, especially when the last time he probably shot that, he was a teenager in the '50's or '60's. While my dad enjoyed shooting with his son, he was never really big on the Action/Tactical side of stuff, as it wasn't his cup of tea.

Yesterday, while home on leave, I took him to a nearby range and introduced him to "tactical precision" shooting. I brought along my CA MK12 (which continues to be a fantastic shooter) and some Black Hills 77gr (and a few rounds of m855, which was surprisingly accurate, at least at 100 yards). We started with some fundamentals...getting behind the gun, eye relief, trigger reset, etc, and he started at the 100. Then we switched up to the better ammo and he had a very respectable group going...not bad for it being about 9000 degrees and his first time behind a SPR. We then moved out to the 200 (about the farthest I could see hits on the paper targets with my scope). I think his first try was a 3" group and his second was a little more open. Not bad with lots of mirage and his first time.

After I confirmed a zero on my CQBR, we called it a day and drove back. It was an hour drive back, so we had some time to talk. He commented on how he enjoyed it a lot more than he thought he would, and appreciated the mental/attention to detail mechanics required. I hate shooting for groups, so I told him next time maybe we could try with steel, which is where the fun starts.

All in all, a good day shooting with my dad. Can't ask for much more than that...except maybe that it had been 20 degrees cooler.

BC98
15 August 2013, 17:36
Sounds like a great day spent with him. I'm kind of in the same boat with my dad. He likes shooting and we talk about ARs a lot but he's never really had an interest (he's more of a bolt gun guy). I was chatting with him on the phone this week and he started asking me about what it would take to build a precision AR. Sounds like we'll be building up a nice shooter for him in the near future. I'm pretty excited. [:D]

Computalotapus
15 August 2013, 17:51
Sounds like a perfect day. My brothers and I enjoy shooting. My oldest brother was unable to join the military due to health reasons and he is a shotgun fanatic. My older brother is in the Air Force same career field as I was in (Security Forces). My dad was prior K9 handler in the AF as well. We are all scattered to the edges of the CONUS. When we do get together and have a range day it is awesome. This post makes me miss those times with my family.

UWone77
15 August 2013, 18:05
Awesome post brother. I wish my old man and I shared some hobbies together, but other than playing ball when I was a kid, we've never connected on an "enthusiast" level.

Jerry R
15 August 2013, 19:04
Great post Gator - thanks.

My Dad will be 89 November 6th. Below is a picture of him with one of the 1911's and my oldest son Steve (GriffonSec).

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Family/Dadwith1911.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/pdogkilr/media/Family/Dadwith1911.jpg.html)

He was in Patton's 3rd. Four major campaigns including Normandy and The Bulge. It's always good to spend time with him.

colbyslanbia
22 August 2013, 04:59
good family bonding who's about carrying tradition :)

gatordev
17 December 2014, 15:54
Another good day...

Took my dad to a private range today here in MT that he found before I arrived. Steel out to 428 yards and there wasn't even too much snow on the bench. After a quick rezero of my SR-15 (which will be staying here) and to check the zero of my MK12 with some XM193, we got busy pinging some steel. Of course everything was suppressed, because we're civilized. It was the first time my dad got to experience a can and he enjoyed the experience. After about an hour or two, several shooting "competitions," and a good time had by all, our feet and hands were pretty chilly and it was time to head home.

Even with "cheapo" Federal M193, both the SR-15 and Monty's MK12 continued to impress with their consistency. Definitely a good day. Unfortunately after we left, I realized that, once again, I forgot to take a pic or two on my phone. One of these days I'll remember.

CK 187
18 December 2014, 08:34
Any day shooting is a good day, but shooting with my dad and brothers are my favorites. I still remember the day dad taught me to shoot, and the day i graduated to the big gun's once i was hunter education certified and moved up to his model 94 30/30