PDA

View Full Version : Sharing my rifle..

Computalotapus
19 August 2013, 05:53
Our local sportman club is basically a bunch of hunters and pistol enthusiasts. I truly believe that my boss, my wife, and myself are the only people with AR platform weapons. The older population refers to us as "those type" of gun owners.

So the wife and I went to the range on Sunday. Usually on Sunday we have the range to ourselves. The goal was to shoot a few rounds through the AR and then get her used to her pistol she purchased so she would be ready for a beginners pistol course that is scheduled this coming Saturday. After that its CPL class then defensive pistol 101 class. Anyways about halfway through a man and his son setup on the opposite side of the range. They had a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin 30/30. We waited for them to setup and get some eye/ear protection on before continuing. They inquired and asked about the AR and I gave them the best answers I could about my rifle.

Near the end of the rifle shooting session we had a few rounds left over and I asked the man if he wanted to try it. He declined but said his son would really love to. Spent some time going over the rifle with the kid explaining safety and action. Loaded the magazine gave it to him and watched over to make sure he went through the motions correctly. As soon as he hit the bolt released was glad to hear him say "weapon is loaded". He lined up his shot, could hear the safety selector make the click and the kid had a nice steady rhythm of shots down range and on target.

He had a huge smile on his face afterwards. The father inquired about cost and practical use of the weapon. I explained he could get into a M&P 15-22 fairly inexpensively. He mentioned hunting so we talked about the 300 blk or custom building one to another caliber. All in all it felt good to share what I have learned from here with someone at our club and maybe just maybe we can have another one of "those type" rifle owners in our club.

Can't wait till next year when my girls go to the Appleseed with some dad built AR's.

Jerry R
19 August 2013, 09:14
Nicely done Sir. It is fun to share info (and hardware) with people not familiar with the platform. Done correctly, as you have, will increase the ranks of enthusiasts.