PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Lite vs MRP

klbrush3
20 July 2008, 18:33
Obviously they're both great rifles, but has anyone owned both and have some opinions?

Been saving for my first AR and had my heart set on an MRP for sometime, but recently have been very interested about reports of the new Noveske Lite's.

Really just looking for a great all-around 16" rifle and want to start with a factory complete and go from there, ie: MRP + Defender 2000 lower or a Noveske complete with factory installed DD lite rail or something similar.

Love the one piece MRP and all around ruggedness of LMT stuff. But also love the accuracy and attention to detail of the Noveske's.

weight, accuracy, reliability, and ruggedness are the biggies for me.

anyone have a pro's/con's to share?

Stickman
20 July 2008, 22:26
Love the one piece MRP and all around ruggedness of LMT stuff. But also love the accuracy and attention to detail of the Noveske's.

weight, accuracy, reliability, and ruggedness are the biggies for me.

anyone have a pro's/con's to share?

Both are solid weapons. That being said, I would go with the Noveske (and have). A big deal to me is the modluar ability of the AR15 platform. Its easy to swap out a barrel, but with the LMT MRP, I am limited to what barrels I can use. That may sound like a small item to some people, but I like to think long term, and I've worn out my share of barrels in the past.

The N4 series is using the best barrel available bar none. That, combined with the attention to detail and quality of the Noveske N4 family makes it a pretty simple choice for me.

Again, both are very good weapons, and either would serve you well.

Weight- Noveske wins IIRC

Accuracy- Both are good, Novekse is getting claims of .75 MOA from people.

Reliability- Both are very solid, how you maintain the weapon is probably more of an issue.

Ruggedness- Noveske wins based off that N4 barrel.

20 July 2008, 23:48
I have both, and they are both bet-your-life-reliable, and truly, I'd have a hard time pick one over the other. That's why I got both.[BD]
What Stickman said.

mat10x
21 July 2008, 06:02
in the same boat. looking for my first AR. with both noveske and LMT being excellent rifles...the barrel goes to noveske, but who has better internal parts (BCG, trigger package)? LMT or CMT?

with LMT making military equipment for the last 25 years and noveske assembling for only a few years, should that be taken into consideration?

might have to get both as well...

thx.

Stickman
21 July 2008, 21:28
in the same boat. looking for my first AR. with both noveske and LMT being excellent rifles...the barrel goes to noveske, but who has better internal parts (BCG, trigger package)? LMT or CMT?

with LMT making military equipment for the last 25 years and noveske assembling for only a few years, should that be taken into consideration?

might have to get both as well...

thx.

Based on testing of Noveske weapons, the specs, meeting John Noveskes team, and knowing John, I'll take the Noveske every time. Don't take that as a slight against LMT, they are a good company making an outstanding product, and they are doing it on a much larger scale than Noveske Rifleworks.

mat10x
22 July 2008, 05:54
ah good point. how would a N4 upper fit on an LMT lower? any fit or functional issues? color matching? i noticed the feed ramps on the N4s are very shallow and the LMTs are deeper but slightly off set, pros/cons of either?

when considering carbine vs middy, any noticeable difference in weight/balance?

thx.

ratfink57
25 July 2008, 19:42
ah good point. how would a N4 upper fit on an LMT lower? any fit or functional issues? color matching? i noticed the feed ramps on the N4s are very shallow and the LMTs are deeper but slightly off set, pros/cons of either?

thx.

I have both Noveske N4 14.5 Carbine and 16 Middy, I can't tell a differance in weight but the recoil is a little more with the carbine, I think, or maybe I just Know there should be, there fore I feel it. I should let someone that knows nothing about ARs shoot both and see if they feel a differance.

I only have the Carbine because they didn't make the Middy at the time.

Stickman
26 July 2008, 11:50

thx.

The N4 upper would fit fine on a LMT lower, I don't think you would see any issues aside from what you would with a LMT upper. Some are a little tighter, some a little less so, its a matter of tolerance stacking.

No difference in function. I don't know about color matching, it should be very close, but I can't say it will be exact. Feedramps on both weapons are good to go.

The difference in weight is going to be based more off what you hang on it than anything else. The carbine is slightly lighter, but not enough that I think its really anything I've ever noticed.

mat10x
27 July 2008, 10:21
The N4 upper would fit fine on a LMT lower, I don't think you would see any issues aside from what you would with a LMT upper. Some are a little tighter, some a little less so, its a matter of tolerance stacking.

No difference in function. I don't know about color matching, it should be very close, but I can't say it will be exact. Feedramps on both weapons are good to go.

The difference in weight is going to be based more off what you hang on it than anything else. The carbine is slightly lighter, but not enough that I think its really anything I've ever noticed.

i think i lost you on the upper issues, what issues would one see with with a LMT upper? you mean just slight variability in tolerances?

which trigger assembly is better (smoother, more durable)? CMT or LMT?
is the BCG in the noveske from CMT as well?

is there a functional reason the feedramps are so different in depth between the two brands? are the CMT/Stag feedramps same as the noveske? or does noveske have CMT make them that way for them? wondering why companies would vary the depth so much. i would think there would be an ideal angle/depth for M4s.

been trying to find out how the specs of a noveske upper/lower differ from CMT, other than better QC. read that CMT makes parts for Colt from time to time...true?

i was under the impression that LMT made better parts than CMT.

on middy vs carbine...read that the middy is easier on the bolt (increasing reliability), slightly less recoil, and slightly higher velocity. worth going middy over carbine?

as this will be my first AR, these questions may be rather elementary for you guys. still learning all the brands, features, who makes what for this or that brand, and sifting through all the info/opinions available from various forums.

thx for the help.

Stickman
27 July 2008, 11:35
i think i lost you on the upper issues, what issues would one see with with a LMT upper? you mean just slight variability in tolerances?

There is a certain amount of leeway with tolerances in every upper and lower. It doesn't matter who you get the items from. Items from the same company may be tighter or looser depending on where the upper was produced within its manufacturing run.

which trigger assembly is better (smoother, more durable)? CMT or LMT?
is the BCG in the noveske from CMT as well?

Both companies are using a military grade trigger, so smooth isn't a word that you are going to want to use if you are used to match weapons. Durability shouldn't be an issue between either of them, FCGs aren't something that wear out very often for most shooters. I've worn out barrels on weapons without needing to replace anything in the FCG (fire control group).

is there a functional reason the feedramps are so different in depth between the two brands? are the CMT/Stag feedramps same as the noveske? or does noveske have CMT make them that way for them? wondering why companies would vary the depth so much. i would think there would be an ideal angle/depth for M4s.

I've been told there are two different angles used, but I'm not sure about the differences. There is a minor variation between the two of them, and there shouldn't be any functional differences.

been trying to find out how the specs of a noveske upper/lower differ from CMT, other than better QC. read that CMT makes parts for Colt from time to time...true?

CMT makes parts for plenty of companies, I tend to be less impressed with who makes them, and more impressed with the specs they are made to. Toyota owns Lexus, but one is made to a higher standard. Noveske may get his parts from several different places, many companies do, as long as they meet his standards, its not an issue.

i was under the impression that LMT made better parts than CMT.

See above.

on middy vs carbine...read that the middy is easier on the bolt (increasing reliability), slightly less recoil, and slightly higher velocity. worth going middy over carbine?

The midlength vs carbine is something that seems highly blown out of proportion to me. If the middy were that much superior, the military would be using it. If it were that much better, I would be using a midlength on my duty weapon. There are certainly differences, and yes, there are people that feel a difference in shooting the two of them. There are also plenty of people that don't feel a difference. For a carbine, I drop in a heavier buffer to smooth out the gas impulse. If I wanted the muzzle to rise even less, I would go with a PWS muzzle device on the front end. I don't see anything realistic in the way of velocity increase going with a middy. Any differences would be so minor that they wouldn't be worth bragging about.

as this will be my first AR, these questions may be rather elementary for you guys. still learning all the brands, features, who makes what for this or that brand, and sifting through all the info/opinions available from various forums.

Everyone started from the beginning at some point. Info that you get here may be different than what you find on other sites, but its going to be based on actual use, not what some kid read online.

thx for the help.

Glad to be of help.

ETA- Is that red hard to read, or is it just my eyes?

jeffy
27 July 2008, 12:21
Glad to be of help.

It's your eyes... mine too...

ratfink57
27 July 2008, 21:47

thx for the help.

I would suggest you keep the barrel length down to 14.5" with pinned flash hider if you go the carbine route. If you want a 16", get a middy. Just buy a good one(LMT, Noveske, Colt) Just to name a few, but of those three Noveske is the only one that makes a 16" middy. If you must have a 16" CAR, you'll probably have the best luck with a LMT or Colt. But don't come back crying about stuck cases...you have been warned.

[pop] Now I wait for all the 16" CAR owners to chime in about how reliable theirs are...Yes I know, I had a Colt way back when that had no problems but, if there is a weak spot like maybe a slightly short chamber, heavy spot in the chambers chrome lining, weak springs ect.. it will cause failures to extract, eject and/or feed much sooner than it would with a lower p.s.i. gas system(longer gas tube or shorter barrel).

TigerStripe
27 July 2008, 23:01
Of my 2200 rounds fired through the Charles Daly D-M4 I had five short stroking problems. All five were due to very poor ammo, Adcom M855 made in the U.A.E. It shot everything else well.

TS

Eric
28 July 2008, 13:24
Is that red hard to read, or is it just my eyes? It sure is.

TigerStripe
28 July 2008, 14:32
Use the deeper red, it's not as intense.

TS

Stickman
28 July 2008, 19:35
Changed to dark red.

mat10x
29 July 2008, 05:50
I would suggest you keep the barrel length down to 14.5" with pinned flash hider if you go the carbine route. If you want a 16", get a middy. Just buy a good one(LMT, Noveske, Colt) Just to name a few, but of those three Noveske is the only one that makes a 16" middy. If you must have a 16" CAR, you'll probably have the best luck with a LMT or Colt. But don't come back crying about stuck cases...you have been warned.

[pop] Now I wait for all the 16" CAR owners to chime in about how reliable theirs are...Yes I know, I had a Colt way back when that had no problems but, if there is a weak spot like maybe a slightly short chamber, heavy spot in the chambers chrome lining, weak springs ect.. it will cause failures to extract, eject and/or feed much sooner than it would with a lower p.s.i. gas system(longer gas tube or shorter barrel).

looking to get a 16" barrel.

i'm no expert but i would think that if cases were more prone to getting stuck in carbines the military wouldn't be issuing so many. in fact, i literally cannot find one complaint about the noveske rifles in carbine or middy. haven't read anything about them on cases getting stuck. i have read some minor issues with the LMTs, mostly QC issues if i remember right.

mat10x
29 July 2008, 05:58
Glad to be of help.

stickman,

thx for answering my questions in detail. appreciate it.

both noveske and LMT sounds like great rifles. i guess at this point i need to decide if i want to spend $1500 from my dealer for the Noveske (extra $100 for addition of SOPMOD stock) or $1250 for a standard 16" LMT.

realistically i probably won't be shooting thousands of rounds per month, so not sure if i "need" the cold hammer forged barrel. not bad to have one though.

ratfink57
29 July 2008, 17:51
looking to get a 16" barrel.

i'm no expert but i would think that if cases were more prone to getting stuck in carbines the military wouldn't be issuing so many. in fact, i literally cannot find one complaint about the noveske rifles in carbine or middy. haven't read anything about them on cases getting stuck. i have read some minor issues with the LMTs, mostly QC issues if i remember right.

Don't miss-read what I said...

The military (and Noveske N4 carbine)uses 14.5" barrels not 16". An inch and a half makes a differance.

I said the CAR gas system works best with barrels that are 14.5 or less. 16s are better with a Mid-length gas system. Evan a problematic 16" CAR can be made to work well, but if your buying a new rifle and it has to be a 16"er then the Noveske N4 16 is the best option.

mat10x
29 July 2008, 18:57
Don't miss-read what I said...

The military (and Noveske N4 carbine)uses 14.5" barrels not 16". An inch and a half makes a differance.

I said the CAR gas system works best with barrels that are 14.5 or less. 16s are better with a Mid-length gas system. Evan a problematic 16" CAR can be made to work well, but if your buying a new rifle and it has to be a 16"er then the Noveske N4 16 is the best option.

good call. didn't notice that the N4s don't come in 16" car. yeah, my understanding was 14.5 (or less) was made for car length. 16" was best with mid. i just hadn't read much about cases getting stuck with carbines.

my understanding is that the 16" is better for a general purpose rifle, which is why i'm looking at 16 rather than 14.5.

thx.

klbrush3
29 July 2008, 19:42
good point. i've wondered...is the 1.5" in extra maneuverability you get from a 14.5" car really worth it? compared to the "all-aroundness" of a 16" middy?

i really like the 14.5" carbines but it seems like the cost/benefit is much better on a 16" weapon...

austin12gauge
2 August 2008, 16:02
both noveske and LMT sounds like great rifles. i guess at this point i need to decide if i want to spend $1500 from my dealer for the Noveske (extra $100 for addition of SOPMOD stock) or $1250 for a standard 16" LMT.

realistically i probably won't be shooting thousands of rounds per month, so not sure if i "need" the cold hammer forged barrel. not bad to have one though.
Reading this thread brought back memories of my recent first AR acquistion. I really liked what I saw in the Noveske, but made similar judgements to what you expressed above. Except I was debating between a $900 ($800 after rebate) S&W M&P15A and an N4 Light Carbine. I had already decided that between the Colt, LMT and Noveske, that the price difference was so small between them that the N4 was the way to go. But my decision was about a gun nearly half the price of the N4. I remember saying that since I wouldn't shoot it that much the N4 would be wasted on me.

I got the 15A in April. I am not knocking it - it is a great gun for the money (remember, it only cost me $800 after the rebate). It has a carbine gas systen with a 16" barrel, BTW, and it ran flawlessly while I had it. But I just couldn't get the N4 out of my mind. So 10 days ago I bought a N4 Light Carbine and sold my 15A yesterday.

My advice - for a couple of hundred dollars difference between the LMT and and N4, just go ahead and get the N4 and don't look back.

mat10x
7 August 2008, 09:40
yeah i think i'm pretty much sold on the N4 recce. i've never regretted paying extra for top notch products. the only thing i've been wondering on are the feed ramps. very shallow on the Noveskes. haven't read any complaints though.

austin12gauge
8 August 2008, 17:42
the only thing i've been wondering on are the feed ramps. very shallow on the Noveskes. haven't read any complaints though.
They don't need to be deep to work.