PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Lite vs LaRue Upper on LMT lower

CAPT KIRK
21 July 2008, 16:44
Ok this will be my first post.

I am in Law Enforcement and looking for a top notch gun which may have to go into harms way for real some day. I am down to two options within my price range and would be interested in any input on the matter.

Option 1: Noveske N4 Lite Lo Pro 14.5 inch with Carbine length gas system.
-or-
Option 2: LaRue Stealth upper 16 inch with Mid length gas system sitting on an LMT lower.

Whatcha think? and thanx for the input.

Stickman
21 July 2008, 21:25
There are several different companies using LW barrels, LT is one, DD is another. I would overlook both for the Noveske N4 barrel without a second thought. The N4 barrel is simply outstanding, its based on the M249 machine gun barrel, and its not something you are going to shoot out. Ready for heavy use, and highly accurate, I can't see why you wouldn't go with Noveske in a duty weapon or duty upper.

Another option is the Noveske N4 16" midlength upper. Both of these are using M4 feedramps, while the LT upper is not. I've had a real world failure to feed, and I'll take every opportunity to stack the deck in my favor to keep Murphy at bay. The Noveske N4 chambers are also cut to John Noveskes specs, to feed and fire just about everything you can throw at it. No tight match chambers, and still pulling .75 MOA according to several shooters (obviously with the right loads and right finger pulling the trigger).

In my mind its not even a contest, Noveske buries the competition.

CAPT KIRK
22 July 2008, 00:25
Ok... I can truely appreciate that input. I do like what is see in the N4 and the shorter 14.5 barrel. I know in the long run I will end up spending more getting the N4 set up to my spec's, but I too have pulled the trigger in the real world and truely believe in having the best.

Thanx,

MerQ
24 July 2008, 14:35
I agree with Stickman. The N4 would probably have the edge as a duty weapon. The LT Stealth purpose is more of a precision/ competition AR although I have no doubt that it's a well designed upper. I think they will both be of excellent quality but again I think that the N4 would have the edge for duty purposes.

Spectre1
20 November 2008, 18:37
There are several different companies using LW barrels, LT is one, DD is another. I would overlook both for the Noveske N4 barrel without a second thought. The N4 barrel is simply outstanding, its based on the M249 machine gun barrel, and its not something you are going to shoot out. Ready for heavy use, and highly accurate, I can't see why you wouldn't go with Noveske in a duty weapon or duty upper.

Another option is the Noveske N4 16" midlength upper. Both of these are using M4 feedramps, while the LT upper is not. I've had a real world failure to feed, and I'll take every opportunity to stack the deck in my favor to keep Murphy at bay. The Noveske N4 chambers are also cut to John Noveskes specs, to feed and fire just about everything you can throw at it. No tight match chambers, and still pulling .75 MOA according to several shooters (obviously with the right loads and right finger pulling the trigger).

In my mind its not even a contest, Noveske buries the competition.

Stick: So what you're saying is that the N4 Light uses a Noveske 5.56 chamber and not a NATO 5.56 chamber? Is this the same chamber as on the Novese SS barrels?

Thanks!

Stickman
20 November 2008, 20:43
John has the chambers done to his spec, and to be honest, I'm not sure if its exactly the same on the SS as it is on the N4 series. The next time I talk to John I'll ask him (if I remember [BD] ).

Spectre1
22 November 2008, 21:08
Thanks. I'd like to know since I'm getting both N4's and SS Noveske barrels....

23 November 2008, 02:53
If the Admins don't mind, this is the article where David Crane interviewed John Noveske about his rifles, N4 SS and N4 Light. John went into pretty good details, I think, about the barrels and the chamberings. Looks like the SS barrels have the Noveske Match Mod 0 (NMm0) chambering, and the N4 Light chrome lined barrels have 5.56 NATO chamber.
http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1167

Maybe Stick will confirm this with Noveske, if he remembers.[:D]

Stickman
23 November 2008, 20:23
I've talked about that interview with John, and its a pretty accurate piece. I would say that info is legit.

Spectre1
24 November 2008, 18:53
Great! Thanks, guys.

ETA: To the OP, I'd vote Noveske as well...