PDA

View Full Version : What to do/build for next AR?

jvencius
23 July 2008, 08:18
Since I'm picking up a stripped lower today, I'd like some help in deciding what to build it into. I have the defensive/SHTF carbine niche filled (when I get my upper back from Sabre) and my 1885 (chambered in 30-06) takes care of the 200-800 yd. niche. Instead of building another carbine that fills the same niche as my Sabre middy, I was either thinking about either copycatting my buddy and building a Mk. 12 knockoff or, and this will require saving a bit more $$$, getting a .50 BMG upper b/c if Obama wins (God help us if he does), the best we can hope for is the .50 moving to the NFA list and I'd like to get something chambered for it before the election. I've fired my High Wall at ~1100 yards or so and it was accurate enough (could hit a ~ 3'x3' rock maybe 7 or 8 times out of 10) but if a .22 is fun at 200 yds, my '06 is fun at 800, I can't help but think it would be REALLY fun to stretch a .50 out farther than that.

FWIW, I realize that BMG ammo is spendy and I'd have to pick up a third reloading press (already have a RockChucker and Dillon 650) so the expense of joining the .50 club isn't lost on me.

jvencius
23 July 2008, 10:40
After doing some reading re: CMMG lowers, I decided to pass on the one in town since it would be penny wise/pound foolish to save $5 going with one of them over a rebranded LMT lower. The question still stands, though, of what to build for my next AR but the timeline is stretched out a bit.

Stickman
23 July 2008, 11:09
Do you have a specific purpose for the next build?

Can you SBR a weapon in your state?

Can you buy a can in your state?

Do you have a dedicated training weapon currently?

Do you have a subcal AR conversion so you can train cheaper?

50 BMG sounds nice, but of the people who I know who bought theirs, they aren't something which ever gets used.

jvencius
23 July 2008, 11:55
Do you have a specific purpose for the next build?

I'd like to fill a long gun niche that I don't currently have, but the particular niche (i.e. the one that an SPR or a .50 would fill) isn't decided yet.

Can you SBR a weapon in your state?

Can you buy a can in your state?

Yes, on both counts but since I'll be moving in a year (hopefully to med. school when Mrs. JV gets orders--she's still active AF) I don't want to take the chance of dropping coin on a NFA piece and then deal with the hassle of moving to a place that won't allow NFA items.

Do you have a dedicated training weapon currently?

Do you have a subcal AR conversion so you can train cheaper?

No on both counts--I only re-entered the black rifle club a couple weeks ago and the Sabre M5 I bought is my one and only training/SHTF/plinking AR. Even the Clinton ban didn't touch subcal conversions so I'm holding off on anything like that and any boltguns/shotguns/et. al. until after the election since those are "relatively" safe.

50 BMG sounds nice, but of the people who I know who bought theirs, they aren't something which ever gets used.

Honestly, apart from a few snipers over in SWA, who really "needs" a .50 BMG? I can't justify a need for a .50, but I do want one since if it's fun stretching a .22LR to 200 yds. and my 1885 to 800-1000 yds., taking a .50 past that would be a wheelbarrow full of goodtime. There are enough places out here where I could get out that far so it's not as if I were someplace where even 100 yds. is considered way out there.

Stickman
23 July 2008, 11:59
If you are considering the election factor, and you only have one AR15, you might want to consider buying a few lowers instead of complete weapons. Building up 2 or 3 lowers gets you squared away on how the system works (at least the lower parts), and gets you ahead of the game if there is another AWB imposed.

Later on you can look at buying uppers in different calibers, types and sizes.

Just something extra to think about.

jeffy
23 July 2008, 12:09
I see you have your tin-foil hat on...

Unless you really like the Lauer logo better then the CMMG's, there is really little difference.

Depending on how you answer Stick's questions, will dictate which way you go. Since you have a 16" Mid-length already, that sort of puts you dead center.

You could go with a 10.5" or 11.5" SBR if your state allows it. An 11.5 with a 5.5" pinned FH if not. But then that's already close to what you already have (working length). A 9mm upper would also be a good choice. 9mm is still relatively inexpensive.

Going the other way, I'd probably look at an 18" length setup. The MK12 Mod0/1 is nice but is also expensive if you want a pure clone. Otherwise, you can build it to however you want. I'm really liking the Noveske 18" SPR upper. LaRue Tactical has their Stealth line-up as well.

I can't see anyone shooting 50BMG that much. First of all it's expensive and really, unless you have a range longer then 200m, it can be boring. One of the problems I always hear is finding a place to shoot it. I'd look at a 7.62 NATO setup instead, if I was in that situation.

jeffy
23 July 2008, 12:13
If you are considering the election factor, and you only have one AR15, you might want to consider buying a few lowers instead of complete weapons. Building up 2 or 3 lowers gets you squared away on how the system works (at least the lower parts), and gets you ahead of the game if there is another AWB imposed.

Later on you can look at buying uppers in different calibers, types and sizes.

Just something extra to think about.

That's a good point but then you're betting on something happening. If nothing does then you have one complete rifle and several stripped lowers sitting around. Not that thats a bad thing.

jvencius
23 July 2008, 12:26
I see you have your tin-foil hat on...

My tinfoil hat is comfy and damn good-looking so I wear it proudly... ;)

Unless you really like the Lauer logo better then the CMMG's, there is really little difference.

I don't know who makes CMMG lowers, but if the Lauer lowers are indeed made by LMT, they're good stuff.

Depending on how you answer Stick's questions, will dictate which way you go. Since you have a 16" Mid-length already, that sort of puts you dead center.

You could go with a 10.5" or 11.5" SBR if your state allows it. An 11.5 with a 5.5" pinned FH if not. But then that's already close to what you already have (working length). A 9mm upper would also be a good choice. 9mm is still relatively inexpensive.

I'm staying away from any NFA toys, not b/c I don't want them (I most certainly do) but because (1) I'm moving in a year and I don't want the hassle of potentially moving to a non NFA-friendly state and (2) even the Clinton ban didn't really affect the NFA much apart from moving prices up a bit. I really don't understand the point of permanently-attached 5.5" flash hiders--if you're stuck at 16", IMO you might as well have 16" worth of velocity-producing barrel vs. 11.5" of pipe and 5.5" of gotta-make-it-legal that doesn't help you any...

I can't see anyone shooting 50BMG that much. First of all it's expensive and really, unless you have a range longer then 200m, it can be boring. One of the problems I always hear is finding a place to shoot it. I'd look at a 7.62 NATO setup instead, if I was in that situation.

I live in Wyoming--there is a LOT of open space out here where I could let a .50 stretch its legs so that's one problem I wouldn't have to deal with. The expense is considerable, for sure, but considering you don't go through .50 ammo like you do .223, the cost of ammo per range session is pretty much a wash. I might fire 150-200 .223's on a good day and there's ~$100 worth of ammo but if I were to only fire 15 or 20 rounds of .50 BMG, that's about the same cost even though I would be firing considerably fewer times.

The election is most definitely on my mind, but I'm holding off on any purchases I think are more-or-less safe (i.e. bolt actions, shotguns, etc...). If I weren't setting them aside for now, I'd probably already have a bolt .338 Lapua since they tickle my fancy and are somewhat more affordable (but not by much) to shoot.

jeffy
23 July 2008, 12:40
I don't know who makes CMMG lowers, but if the Lauer lowers are indeed made by LMT, they're good stuff.

CMMG lowers are made by LAR Manufacturing Inc (http://www.largrizzly.com/).

TigerStripe
23 July 2008, 13:01
Having two similar or indentical AR's is better than having one and some extra parts. If one fails, you can grab the other.

Take a look at Charles Daly lowers. They are extremely well built and have the best finish I've seen and they still look good after a beating.

TS

Stickman
23 July 2008, 14:00
That's a good point but then you're betting on something happening. If nothing does then you have one complete rifle and several stripped lowers sitting around. Not that thats a bad thing.

I look at it more as a realistic start to getting more AR15s. Assembled lowers sitting around isn't a bad thing, its simply a start to building additional ones as your funds allow.

jeffy
23 July 2008, 15:53
I look at it more as a realistic start to getting more AR15s. Assembled lowers sitting around isn't a bad thing, its simply a start to building additional ones as your funds allow.

Having spare lowers would not be a bad situation to be in. Unless you want to build something right away and not wait. ;)

If you're of the tin-foil hat club, there is no assurance that existing firearms will be legal either. Although that's probably a bit extreme. Also depending on which state the OP moves to, there might be other bans in place. Which could mean those lowers that were bough previous aren't legal in the new state. [crazy]

Oh, btw: Lauer has two sources for lowers. One is LMT while the other is Superior Arms.

TigerStripe
23 July 2008, 17:33
Having spare lowers would not be a bad situation to be in. Unless you want to build something right away and not wait. ;)

I have one built waiting for an upper and one waiting to be built.

If you're of the tin-foil hat club, there is no assurance that existing firearms will be legal either. Although that's probably a bit extreme. Also depending on which state the OP moves to, there might be other bans in place. Which could mean those lowers that were bough previous aren't legal in the new state. [crazy]

Call me a tin foil hatter then. If you're willing to surrender your weapons, don't spend too much on them.

Oh, btw: Lauer has two sources for lowers. One is LMT while the other is Superior Arms.

Yes, they do have both sources. They are moving from LMT to Superior. Now is the time to buy an LMT Lauer if that's what the OP wants.

TS

jeffy
23 July 2008, 18:43
Call me a tin foil hatter then. If you're willing to surrender your weapons, don't spend too much on them.

TS

What I'm saying is if you dawn your foil hat then you're expecting the worst to happen. In which case, would mean a complete ban. Therefore there would be no point in spending money on something that will be taken away. [crazy] I just don't see that happening in the near future. There are a lot more problems that are more urgent that need attention.

I live behind 'enemy lines' so to speak. There was a time when AR's a weren't available in any shape or form here. Only recently, a hand full of people fought back and reclaimed some of our rights. Right now, I believe we have more to be scared of on a state level then a federal.

TigerStripe
23 July 2008, 20:17
What I'm saying is if you dawn your foil hat then you're expecting the worst to happen. In which case, would mean a complete ban. Therefore there would be no point in spending money on something that will be taken away. [crazy] I just don't see that happening in the near future. There are a lot more problems that are more urgent that need attention.

I live behind 'enemy lines' so to speak. There was a time when AR's a weren't available in any shape or form here. Only recently, a hand full of people fought back and reclaimed some of our rights. Right now, I believe we have more to be scared of on a state level then a federal.

I have no fears of state action here. I sympathize with you guys behind the lines. I fear that if more smart people don't vote, the increased number of dumb people voting this election will get us a federal government that will pass a complete ban. So I prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

TS