PDA

View Full Version : New build , need some suggestions to finish

mustangfreek
15 September 2013, 14:35
Im bored and waiting for the seahwaks game to come on..so i am bad at picking things as i go back and forth as what will be the best for me, best for my buck etc..As i dont have the luxury of having one or 5 of everything ..[:D]...So i am slowly nearing the end of this build and am stuck on a couple items.

I need a rail,barrel,comp and sights to finish

Rail wise, looking for a 12-14" setup, not a quad rail kinda guy, would like a QD socket, and have been looking at the NSR,CMR and also the Evo rail.

As far as barrel looking for a 16" CL barrel, mid length and no lightweight stuff. Spikes looks good as well as DD, but not sure if i need a CHF barrel for what im looking for, just a HD,plinking do whatever gun.

What Suggestions do you guys got? Or tell me what you like or dont like about such things as far as how their built,issues or whatever...

Computalotapus
15 September 2013, 15:04
BCM has some good deals on barrels. Right now the market is flooded with new brakes. We just picked up the Phase 5 brake, give me a few days and I can give you a range report on it. But I think my go to muzzle device will be a battle comp. And the NSR is a sexy rail. Don't know your time frame but Phase 5's new 13.5" rail would also fit your specs as well.

UWone77
15 September 2013, 15:13
I'm working on a new build as well using the bronze CMT set. I'll have to try to keep up with you guys and start a thread.

For a simple CL barrel, I don't think the standard BCM middy can be beaten. It's priced right, and just a quality barrel. No one will be able to tell you how many rounds you can get from a CHF barrel vs a standard button rifled one. The real question I ask when people insist on a CHF barrel is... how many standard barrels have you shot out? Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a quality CHF barrel, I just don't want to pay extra for something I'm not going to see any real benefit from.

I'm also going with the CMR. Easy install, nice feel while shooting, and Centurion's reputation.

For the Comp... I'm going to wait for the Rainier Arms XTC 2.0. Redesigned and it looks like a winner. Should be another month to 2 out.

zero7one
15 September 2013, 15:31
I'm working on a new build as well using the bronze CMT set. I'll have to try to keep up with you guys and start a thread.

For a simple CL barrel, I don't think the standard BCM middy can be beaten. It's priced right, and just a quality barrel. No one will be able to tell you how many rounds you can get from a CHF barrel vs a standard button rifled one. The real question I ask when people insist on a CHF barrel is... how many standard barrels have you shot out? Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a quality CHF barrel, I just don't want to pay extra for something I'm not going to see any real benefit from.

I'm also going with the CMR. Easy install, nice feel while shooting, and Centurion's reputation.

For the Comp... I'm going to wait for the Rainier Arms XTC 2.0. Redesigned and it looks like a winner. Should be another month to 2 out.

It is hard to beat this advise...BCM Barrel, CMR Rail, and though I am excited to see how the XTC 2.0 comes out, the Battle Comp is my go to.

mustangfreek
15 September 2013, 15:50
Thanks guys, as far as barrels the BCM std is one of the ones im considering along with the spikes 16" LE barrel as it is made by FN and have heard good things about them also. The DD is nice but the price tag kinda makes me think twice, as also the CMR rail as i didnt realize it was 3 bills ..ouch..

How does the fortis rail stack up here?

Didnt know Rainier had a new version of the XTC coming out..humm. i have their XTC on my other rifle and like it for the price point.

mustangfreek
15 September 2013, 15:55
Also i have a hard time picking a rail as i have no shops up north in my area to fondle different ones nor do i have any friends that are into guns or AR's so i always second guess myself..

Vic
15 September 2013, 17:02
Here's my thoughts and opinions on your situation:

1. In terms of NSR, CMR, and Evo, they're all nice, non-quad rails that can accommodate a QD socket. The CMR has them built in, the Evo comes with an attachment, and the NSR allows you to purchase a KeyMod QD socket. That being said, you'll have to factor in the cost of the QD socket to the NSR price when comparing it to the CMR's price.

2. I think a BCM standard barrel would be fine for what you want it for as it's a good balance of being the best bang for your buck and whatnot. I went with a CHF CA barrel, but I don't think any of the options brought up so far are bad options for what you want to use the rifle for.

3. I went with an A2 flash hider as I want to shoot my gun before figuring out what I need and don't need, but the news of the gen 2 XTC is interesting.

4. MBUS Gen2 sights should be just fine for a plinking, HD, do-whatever gun.

I hope this helps.

akersc
15 September 2013, 18:44
I have to say I am a HUGE Phase 5 fan. My rail is amazing. If you are not in a hurry they will have the 13.5" version ready next month. The look and feel are what sold me. I really don't like the Fortis for some reason, I think it's because I got to see and feel the P5T rail, I'm a hands on type person.

gatordev
16 September 2013, 16:07
Thanks guys, as far as barrels the BCM std is one of the ones im considering along with the spikes 16" LE barrel as it is made by FN and have heard good things about them also. The DD is nice but the price tag kinda makes me think twice, as also the CMR rail as i didnt realize it was 3 bills ..ouch..

How does the fortis rail stack up here?

I can't compare it to the CMR because I haven't handled it, and I've only touched a NSR for about a minute, but I continue to be very impressed with my Fortis ReV. I was running it yesterday again in a local competition and everything is pretty much where I need it. I have long arms, so I run the 12" and the front side rails provide a nice thumb rest area while still giving some useful real estate for accessories. I don't have any KeyMod items, so I'm just running a Magpul XTM handstop on the bottom rail and a thorntail mount on the front (without the light usually, since it's day). Forward and aft QDs give you options. I don't load up my guns with lots of stuff, so the Fortis fits my needs while still being relatively light and not weighed down with lots of rail space I don't need. If they made a 10" version, I'd get another one for a 12.5 SBR that I'll build up in a few months.

Also, I had one small issue with one of the QD sockets. I emailed Fortis, was given a simple solution that required about 3 minutes worth of effort on my part and it fixed the problem. But Fortis said if that wasn't acceptable, they'd gladly take it back and fix the problem. Great customer support, I'd say.

mustangfreek
16 September 2013, 17:21
Thanks guys, what phase rail are we talking about here?

akersc
16 September 2013, 17:44
It will look something like this one. This is a 13.5" rail. The one they are releasing in about a month will have a slope nose tip. These are low profile rails they come with a barrel nut that replaces the standard one.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/p5t-rail.jpg

UWone77
16 September 2013, 20:55
Thanks guys, what phase rail are we talking about here?

I would consider the Parallax FFSSR rail. Nicely priced and the more I use it the more it's growing on me. Similar looks to the Phase 5. Look at the thread in the new products section. Plenty of pictures.

mustangfreek
26 September 2013, 17:51
Well got the rail figures out now just to find a barrel and decide on what comp/FH, the nsights/red dot of some sort.

BCM std barrel is out of stock and cant find a DD 16" mid gov barrel or a spikes/FN in stock ...Just a waiting game i guess

UWone77
26 September 2013, 18:03
In Stock.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-mid-16%20std.htm

What Rail are you going with?

mustangfreek
26 September 2013, 18:12
In Stock.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-mid-16%20std.htm

What Rail are you going with?

Haha..it wasnt in stock the other day....Now back to if i should just pick it up or wait til a DD comes available..

I came across a 13.5" NSR for a good deal and pulled the trigger, New and never mounted for $215 shipped..so had to give it a try for the price.

Computalotapus
26 September 2013, 18:18
Haha..it wasnt in stock the other day....Now back to if i should just pick it up or wait til a DD comes available..

I came across a 13.5" NSR for a good deal and pulled the trigger, New and never mounted for $215 shipped..so had to give it a try for the price.

I am very happy with the BCM barrel we have. And I will be buying more of them come Febuary ( that's when mamma said I can go crazy again )

UWone77
26 September 2013, 18:28

If you could get the DD CHF for the same price as a Standard BCM, I'd probably lean towards the DD. I think if you can get a LE/MIL discount with DD, the CHF barrel you're looking at is $237.

mustangfreek
4 October 2013, 18:20
Ended up with a Spikes/FN CHF barrel with LP gas block pinned on for a good price from AIM surplus, actually the lowest price i have seen on them. Now only need the muzzle device to put together the rifle except the sights,sling, etc..

Build is almost there but will slow down till i can get some more toy money..

UWone77
5 October 2013, 00:48
I am very happy with the BCM barrel we have. And I will be buying more of them come Febuary ( that's when mamma said I can go crazy again )

Until then.... nothing eh?

Computalotapus
5 October 2013, 04:02
Until then.... nothing eh?

Nope just got a pistol and working on getting everything for it. Extra mags, extended floor plates, IWB & OWB holsters, CCW, trigger kit, and sights.

Had to slow it down Christmas is coming so starting to pick stuff up for my girls. So the guns can wait for now :)

UWone77
5 October 2013, 05:55
Nope just got a pistol and working on getting everything for it. Extra mags, extended floor plates, IWB & OWB holsters, CCW, trigger kit, and sights.

Had to slow it down Christmas is coming so starting to pick stuff up for my girls. So the guns can wait for now :)

What? Guns are a 12 month a year deal!

I've seen your wife post, she seems reasonable [adore]

akersc
5 October 2013, 10:15
What? Guns are a 12 month a year deal!

I've seen your wife post, she seems reasonable [adore]

Don't let him fool you, he held out for a week and then I went and bought his pistol so he would shut up. Big builds are on hold, we are moving and have Christmas so we have to budget accordingly. We have not stopped by any means and I have never told him no. Yes means more guns for me!!!!!

mustangfreek
21 November 2013, 01:12
Gun is together now, just need santa to bring me some sights or a red dot..lol...or for my b-day since it is 3 days before x-mas..-= sucky..

I know ..fail with no pics....ill try to grab a good one and post it up...but be warned to stickman or uwone quality pics here..as he knows..lol

Parts list

Mega "gator " lower
Aero upper
PSa LPk with ALG QMS trigger
Bad Ass Ambi safety
RAinier arms raptor, BCG, XTC
Spikes/FN 16" CHF Middy barrel with pinned gas block
Noveske 13.5" NSR
B5 bravo stock ( for now , seeing if i will like it)
Spikes 7075 buffer tube and st-t2 buffer
K2 grip

Still need - sling and sights/RD setup