PDA

View Full Version : BattleComp Review

IRacknBack
17 September 2013, 18:38
With so many great product reviews here and opinions on what works I figured I'd try my hand at giving an unbiased opinion here too. So here ya go! Any constructive criticism on what you would like to know more or what I could do to improve is welcome.

Item: Battlecomp 1.0

Specs:
Made from 17-4PH heat treated stainless steel and made specifically for 5.56 and .223 ammunition.
Features 1/2x28 RH SAE threads.
Available in Black Oxide or Matte Stainless. The one I used is in black stainless.
Length: 1.75 inches
Crush washer included

First impression:

Very attractive muzzle device. I've used maybe 8-10 different devices in my life from a variety of manufacturers and have to say, this is one of the sexier ones. The packaging didn't flatter the quality that it exuded upon opening. Very compact compared to other devices I've used. Virtually identical to an A2 and much smaller than my AAC. I was excited to try it out. Packaging could have been higher quality given the price point but they did take the time to package the crush washer separately eliminating rub marks before installation.

Equipment:

Daniel Defense 9.5inch upper with DD rail
Aimpoint Pro
SAA lower
Magpul handstop
Magpul BUIS
Insight Weapon light

Pics were the best I could do with an iphone and cleaning mat.

(also used a Rainier Arms 16inch rifle)

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/bamaloke/f33efede-90f5-4f35-a8fb-44ff397b874d_zps137ab948.jpg
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/bamaloke/534044a2-3326-44fd-99d6-73dab07469b6_zps9eede048.jpg

Post test:

I haven't been a big fan of brakes really because I haven't seen the value in them when just range shooting and also didn't want to be "that guy" that annoys those beside him because I can. I heard that the 1.0 was a nice mix of comp/brake and while didn't excel at either, did both well enough to be good. With the 9.5inch barrel, it was significantly louder than I was used to but quieter than I expected. The concussion from behind the trigger was very tolerable but I did let a friend shoot it and stood to the side for a few rounds. As long as you stay back of the bolt area the concussion is ok. Anywhere forward will not be comfortable for long. I also can imagine ears bleeding if you had to fire it without hearing protection on for any reason which is probably true for any AR pistol. Muzzle climb and flash were virtually nothing and both were as good or even better than the standard A2 I was using. When standing parallel with other shooters I did not get any glaring looks or death threats so I think that was a bonus.

I was mostly wanting this for my AR pistol which I love but since I had a standard 16inch rifle with me, I tried it on that as well. Results = phenomenal. The extra 7 inches of barrel made a world of difference. Everything great I said about the 1.0 in regards to the pistol x4 with the rifle at least. While any 5.56 would hurt the ears unprotected, I did not see this one as any bigger threat than anything else. It performed flawlessly. I was using crappy handloaded milsurp bullets so didn't waste time with a grouping but my 225yd shots on steel were just as consistent as ever.

Pros:

Very aesthetically pleasing
compact size
above average performance in all categories
High quality material from a proven manufacturer

Cons:
Price - $149 isn't a bank breaker, I'm just cheap.
Packaging - if this is your biggest complaint, you're impossible to please
Louder than a standard FH or comp.

Overall opinion: If price isn't a factor, I HIGHLY recommend buying one of these. It won't piss off your fellow shooters at the range, looks fantastic, keeps the muzzle on target and reduces flash extremely well while providing only a slight increase in noise/blast compared to other devices and is less than any other brake I've tried. If you have to have the best quality and price is no object, you need one of these. Personally, I tend to buy cheaper when it's not a device my life will depend on so the $149 retail price would probably keep one out of my parts box but maybe santa will be nice for Christmas.

browcs
17 September 2013, 20:23
Very nice review IRacknBack...thanks for sharing!

Army Chief
17 September 2013, 20:35
Waded into this one thinking that perhaps we were about to revisit some rather old, familiar ground, since the BattleComp has been around for a while now. Was quite pleased to instead find a very accessible fresh take that probably captures many things as well, or better, than any previous review I've read.

Nicely done -- was immediately able to identify with all of your points as a fellow BC 1.0 owner, and some of the more nuanced things I wouldn't have even thought to mention were capably-captured here.

Keep it up!

AC

IRacknBack
17 September 2013, 22:05
Thank you guys. I know this horse was probably beaten to death awhile ago but this is an item I felt could truly benefit from a review from someone who wasn't entirely sold on the idea but willing to try anyway. I appreciate the comments and hope to do more in the future.

Jerry R
18 September 2013, 03:06
Very nicely done - thanks !

mustangfreek
18 September 2013, 03:24
Nice writeup, Irack.

I also feel the same that the price for us cheap ass's directs us away from such things, but i keep hearing good things about these and again i am intrigued.

Say this compared to a XTC is their much difference?

IRacknBack
18 September 2013, 06:05
The XTC is also a good device (with this being arguably sexier) but its more of a true brake while I consider this more of a hybrid sort of. Tell ya what, pm me your address and ill send you this to run and you can let us know here what you think. I'm not getting back to the range anytime soon anyway.

MoxyDave
18 September 2013, 14:14
I have a BC 2.0 on my 16" 5.56 middy and it helps tremendously with muzzle rise. I concur with your assessment :-)

mustangfreek
18 September 2013, 17:03
The XTC is also a good device (with this being arguably sexier) but its more of a true brake while I consider this more of a hybrid sort of. Tell ya what, pm me your address and ill send you this to run and you can let us know here what you think. I'm not getting back to the range anytime soon anyway.

Thanks for the offer J , trying to somehow finish my build right now and do another one for the old man. My current AR is being neglected and needs a Aimpoint or some kind of red dot/sight setup. Its just a bench gun with a scope sitting on it right now.

Appreciate the offer though [:D]

zero7one
18 September 2013, 18:58
Great review....thank you for taking the time to write it up. And from your user name...thank you for your service.

UrbanX
23 September 2013, 13:58
Great review! I've been a convert of the BattleComp pretty much since it first became available, and your experience has been very similar to mine.

It does a lot of things well in a very compact, lightweight package. I can't find anything to beat it for what I desire in a muzzle device.

One thing I really liked as well, is that you tried it on a pistol and compared that experience with the standard length. I've always wondered the result of a BattleComp on a shorter barrel.

Sak007
24 September 2013, 12:35
I ran one on a 7in barrel during a 3 gun course ........wow that thing became a reduced recoil blindingly bright sound cannon but was fun as hell. The BattleComp definitely does what it's advertised to do and is a great product . My only complaint is that they haven't mass produced the suppressor mount mod they were offering awhile back .