PDA

View Full Version : DD LITE 14" rail or Fortis Rev

LMMzach
18 September 2013, 17:40
Well I've come down to two rails for my build both will be 14" I like the look of the fortis but I'm nervous about sticking a finger in one of the holes getting burnt on a barrel

I also really like the dd lite rail but I have a few questions about it. One I'm seeing two types everywhere I pull it up one is a very tall skinny look( which is the one I'm interested in) and the other just a normal symmetrical look are those newer or older types?

Also there doesn't look to be much room for a gas block in the taller one looks like its pretty close to the barrel anyone run into this?

UWone77
19 September 2013, 18:50
I've never had an issue with my fingers getting stuck into one of the grooves and burned in the Fortis Rail, either the 12 or 14" I don't notice anymore heat coming from the Fortis rail than my other rails in general. Unless you are shooting F/A I don't think this will be an issue. Wear Gloves if you are concerned.

As for comparing the Fortis REV to a DD Lite Rail, you're talking about 2 different types of rails. The DD is more of a standard quad rail, with the REV having KeyMod's in the 3 and 9 o'clock. Your needs and wants will dictate what you choose as far as rail vs KeyMod. I still like the DD Lite Rail, I think I have 2 installed on guns. They just aren't as "lite" as they used to be when there were less choices on the market. They are also a pain in the ass to install and remove.

Vic
19 September 2013, 19:52
Zach,

I was able to handle both of those rails at the Rainier Arms shop and here are my thoughts:

1. I think the appearance of the Fortis REV can be deceiving as while it looks tall and skinny compared to the DD RIS Lite, it really isn't. If you look at the two photos below (by Stickman and from Fortis' website), you can see how both rails are roughly the same height. Notice where the 6 o'clock rail lines up.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/459/leftacog3stickks6.jpg

http://fortismfg.com/image/cache/data/REV™/REV%2014/REV-14-E-640x480.jpg

2. The Fortis uses a standard barrel nut, which means that if you don't like it, you can just remove the rail and replace it with any other rail system that uses a standard barrel nut, such as the Rainier Arms Evo, Centurion Arms C4, or Troy Alpha. This also means getting a wrench for it is a lot easier as well.

3. I've seen end user photos of the Fortis with a BCM gas block installed. Additionally, Fortis has two versions of their gas block available depending if you want to pin it or not.

My biggest suggestion is to try to find a place that allows you to handle both rails,
Vic

LMMzach
19 September 2013, 22:36
Vic to the rescue again. I never really looked at the two side by side. I have yet to find a place anywhere close that carries anything besides a few short rails and your standard bushmaster colt s an w built guns so no luck in that department.

I think I'm leaning more towards the rev one reason being its way cheaper and I don'tuch fancy the hard to take off and replace thing of the dd just because I'm always changing my mind.

I'm not sure I understand the key holes I only thought that was a look I don't think I've ever seen them used on a rifle before?

UWone77
19 September 2013, 22:55
I'm not sure I understand the key holes I only thought that was a look I don't think I've ever seen them used on a rifle before?

This is what I suspected.

You don't know what you want, you're just looking for something that "looks good."

LMMzach
20 September 2013, 00:02
Well ideally yes don't you want something to look good? It's not for pure looks as I want function also but I think any quad rail set up is going to get the job done. These are just two that I thought were nice so I was hoping to get a few answers about them.

I'm no expert don't get me wrong this is my first build I know next to nothing about these I'm learning as I go that's why I asked.

LMMzach
20 September 2013, 00:21
I will not be putting a lot of accessories on it a light probably for sure but everything else will be as I figure things out. I have long arms so I assumed a longer rail would be nice. I think for a first rifle either of these will work nice because I can change things up to fit me as I realize what my wants are and needs are

I will just be using this for plinking/home defence/ shtf scenarios. I would like to possibly get into competitions but that will be a little further Down the road and by then I assume ill have another or different set up

Idk of that helps to see what direction. I'm trying to go in.

UWone77
20 September 2013, 00:31
Well ideally yes don't you want something to look good? It's not for pure looks as I want function also but I think any quad rail set up is going to get the job done. These are just two that I thought were nice so I was hoping to get a few answers about them.

I'm no expert don't get me wrong this is my first build I know next to nothing about these I'm learning as I go that's why I asked.

Nothing wrong with good looks.

However, you should at least figure out if the KeyMods are something you want to go with before investing money into that type of rail. Personally, I'd just spend more money on ammo, and shoot the gun since you seem to be newer to the platform. A lot of people here have bins of crap they bought and don't use anymore.