PDA

View Full Version : Smith&Wesson Shield 9mm

Jerry R
21 September 2013, 13:13
I've been looking at the "pocket" pistol offerings for some time. Was getting tired of strapping on a two and a half pound 1911 for a quick run to the store, and wanted something discreet for a dinner out (shirt tail in and no jacket). I personally do not open carry even though Georgia "permits" it.

I considered the XDS in .45 (didn't see the point of a rail on a pistol that small), and some of the other small options in 40 caliber. I was fortunate enough to get to shoot a couple. For me, time to regain the sight picture for the second shot seemed a bit excessive due to muzzle rise in both those calibers (pocket pistol versions), so I opted for a 9mm.

The Smith&Wesson Shield is acceptably small, with higher capacity than some of the others. It comes with a seven round magazine, and an eight rounder - add one to each for a chambered round.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/Smith-Wesson%20Shield%209mm/IMG_2389FramedWatermarkedSize1024_zps7442ba0d.jpg~ original

The trigger is actually pretty nice. Has the feel of a single action with about a quarter inch take-up. Some of the other pistols have what feels like a true double-action with a long stroke. The Shield has a "Glock-Like" tab in the trigger as part of the safety system, but also has a manual thumb safety. The thumb safety is easily manipulated - on or off. No personal issues with either, they work and are relatively intuitive.

The pistol has three white-dots for the sighting arrangement and both the front an rear are dovetailed. The rear has a set screw to lock it into place, but drift adjustable for windage if required. Mine shot to point of aim at fifteen yards. Off a sandbag at that distance it kept Federal 115 Grain Hollowpoints inside two inches.

There is a loaded chamber indicator, but it is merely a hole in the top - no tactile indicator protruding from the pistol. This is a non-issue for me. There is no such thing as an Ammunition Fairy that steals ammo from your loaded pistol. If you load the chamber, it stays that way until you shoot it dry.

Since there might be times I wanted to "wear" the Shield, I went to WERKZ for a synthetic holster. They make a nice OWB high-ride that is molded to the pistol, and a single mag-pouch for it. You can see the molded impression of the Smith logo and the rear cocking serrations on the sweat tab. Their products are well thought out, very reasonably priced, and all the edges are burnished smooth. Their web site is https://www.werkz.com/

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/Smith-Wesson%20Shield%209mm/IMG_2380FramedWatermarkedSize1024_zpsb22cc710.jpg~ original

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/Smith-Wesson%20Shield%209mm/IMG_2379FramedWatermarkedSize1924_zpsc045eba0.jpg~ original

Since I don't plan to reload for the 9mm, I have only run a box of 115 ball and a box of 115 HP's through it so far. 9MM is getting a little easier to find, but still a bit pricey for carry ammunition. I have had zero MALF's with the Shield so far (only a 100 rounds). For it's size it is pleasant to shoot, reliable, and accurate. Hard to ask for more than that.

I'm not a cartridge bigot, but never really gave much thought to carrying a nine. Overall, I am very pleased with the selection.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/Smith-Wesson%20Shield%209mm/IMG_2391FramedWatermarkedSize1024_zps2f5174b8.jpg~ original

MoxyDave
21 September 2013, 16:09
I tried a bunch of small autos before I settled on the Shield. I put an Apex trigger and Ameriglo night sights on mine and I couldn't be happier. This is one of the few micro autos that I can shoot all day without it destroying my hands/fingers. Haven't had a single failure in over a thousand rounds. Good choice!

Eric
21 September 2013, 20:35
Thanks for the great write-up and photos Jerry. A couple months ago I was teetering between the Shield and the M&P Compact and ended up going with the slightly larger Compact. They share many common features and both have quickly gained a good reputation for easy carry, with high reliability.

Army Chief
21 September 2013, 20:44
Still a 1911 guy, but I can relate to the journey here, and the Shield is unquestionably an interesting gun. I have given some thought to guns like the Walther PPS or P99C for similar reasons, even though I've made no actual investment in them. The S&W would seem to bring much more to the table, and the size advantage is compelling enough to at least put it into strong contention. Even a Lightweight Colt Commander can't do everything or go everywhere that a true subcompact gun can.

Good review piece that affords a truly useful perspective. Thanks!

AC

Jerry R
21 September 2013, 21:00
Thanks - I did a lot of looking, and gave a lot of thought to this purchase. I'm not giving up the 1911 platform, but this is an awfully easy "take with" when the Boss says, "We need some milk."

thinkfastholsters
24 January 2014, 07:24
reviving an old thread, I know, but I wanted to chime in and express my love for the Shield. I was an early adopter of the shield and picked it up the day it hit stores. I purchased it because it was clear that it was going to be a hot seller and I needed to have it to make holsters for since the dummy guns took a while before they were available. I loved it from the moment I picked it up. I had a full size M&P at the time and always loved the ergos of the M&P line and I too was contemplating an M&P compact as my next purchase but the Shield sealed the deal. The mag capacity is the only downside but I have no issue carrying 1 or 2 spare mags considering how small they are. Im now eyeballing that new XDs long slide 9mm.

browcs
24 January 2014, 07:37
reviving an old thread, I know, but I wanted to chime in and express my love for the Shield. I was an early adopter of the shield and picked it up the day it hit stores. I purchased it because it was clear that it was going to be a hot seller and I needed to have it to make holsters for since the dummy guns took a while before they were available. I loved it from the moment I picked it up. I had a full size M&P at the time and always loved the ergos of the M&P line and I too was contemplating an M&P compact as my next purchase but the Shield sealed the deal. The mag capacity is the only downside but I have no issue carrying 1 or 2 spare mags considering how small they are. Im now eyeballing that new XDs long slide 9mm.

Welcome to WEVO ThinkFast! Thanks for sharing your love of the Shield. I look forward to seeing pics of your great kydex work.

thinkfastholsters
24 January 2014, 08:08
Welcome to WEVO ThinkFast! Thanks for sharing your love of the Shield. I look forward to seeing pics of your great kydex work.

oh, its gonna happen! Brace yourselves...lol

thinkfastholsters
24 January 2014, 11:09
as a matter of fact, heres one of our Stalker OWB holsters for a Shield. I actually prefer carrying the shield as an IWB in one of these holsters than in our Minimalist IWB rigs because it seems to distribute weight a little bit better.http://www.thinkfastholsters.com/img/p/5/1/51-large_default.jpg

Mada005
17 September 2014, 05:39
I picked up a shield two weeks ago. So far I really like it. Shoots nice. Conceals perfect. I would suggest getting one.

Wrecker1
18 September 2014, 17:57
I borrowed a friends .40 Shield and put 150 rounds of mixed bag ball and HP. I liked it and the wife her first time ever shooting a handgun shot the eyes out of it.
Convince me one way or the other 9mm or .40 .

Gaspipeshooter
18 September 2014, 19:21
I borrowed a friends .40 Shield and put 150 rounds of mixed bag ball and HP. I liked it and the wife her first time ever shooting a handgun shot the eyes out of it.
Convince me one way or the other 9mm or .40 .

I have an XDs in .45 and a Shield in .40. My EDC is the Shield in .40. Why carry a 9mm when you can carry a .40 in the exact same size package?

Eric
19 September 2014, 06:15
Why carry a 9mm when you can carry a .40 in the exact same size package?Because for most folks, the 9mm is easier to shoot than the .40. The .40 in a compact is rather snappy, but if it works for you, great. Current duty loads in 9mm/.40/.45 perform in a similar fashion.

Txfilmmaker
19 September 2014, 06:21
Because for most folks, the 9mm is easier to shoot than the .40. The .40 in a compact is rather snappy, but if it works for you, great. Current duty loads in 9mm/.40/.45 perform in a similar fashion.

A lot of well known teachers have switched to 9mm because you don't get more out of a larger round, but snappy recoil, slower shots on target, less rounds and higher cost. I like my 9mm or if I am going to go big, it's my 45acp. Please, everyone who reads this. Don't go 9mm because that's more ammo for me. ;-)

Gaspipeshooter
19 September 2014, 06:28
Because for most folks, the 9mm is easier to shoot than the .40. The .40 in a compact is rather snappy, but if it works for you, great. Current duty loads in 9mm/.40/.45 perform in a similar fashion.

Understood, which is the reason I carry the Shield in .40 versus the XDs in .45. The XDs in .45 is much "snappier" than the .40 cal Shield. I personally don't notice much difference between the 9mm and the .40 though.

HeavyDuty
20 September 2014, 08:42

I'm lucky to not be very recoil sensitive - I can barely tell the difference between firing my 9mm Shield vs. my 40 Shield. I personally prefer the 40 because of the heavier, larger diameter projectile.

Chevtec
9 October 2014, 17:58
I switched from a Glock 26 to a Shield 9mm and never looked back. I tuck it in with a G-Code INCOG holster. Best setup I've carried so far.

I only wish it was available without a manual safety from the get-go.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/v/t1.0-9/945725_696319240394391_27849429_n.jpg?oh=972985d7e 51311d0228fa67edf602985&oe=54C2C419

CarbonScoring
10 October 2014, 08:35
I love my Shield, but I don't really carry it anymore. I find that I'm much more comfortable with my Glock 19, and I have no real issue concealing my 19. Since I don't carry the Shield, I dropped the Apex trigger in it and it's now even more fun to shoot.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2875/12424212315_5ca23f6bd3_b.jpg

tappedandtagged
26 October 2014, 19:40
I sold my Shield with safety and bought the no safety version right as they came out. I like it much better now. I swap back and forth between my Shield 40 and Glock 23.

Kopis
28 October 2014, 06:17
I'm lucky to not be very recoil sensitive - I can barely tell the difference between firing my 9mm Shield vs. my 40 Shield. I personally prefer the 40 because of the heavier, larger diameter projectile.

Keep in mind there are 147gr 9mm projectiles available now. i know the .40 is a good round but i prefer to shoot a lot and the 30% higher priced range ammo isnt worth the marginally larger round to me, especially with the newer technology self defense rounds.

i OC g17 most of the time but occasionally CC my g19. Ive shot a few Shield 9mms and LOVE them. They are super accurate and fit my hand really well. I hate a missed a black friday deal for $350 on one last year. Im hoping to score one of the no safety models this fall. I will probably make it an ankle carry gun. Im in memphis where we have a lot of crime and i just feel more secure with a weapon that holds 16-18 rounds although i highly doubt i would ever discharge that many rounds.

GOST
12 December 2014, 03:33
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1604604_10154885242355117_1752501809344216828_n.jp g?oh=2fdf27ea214ad7a52f3ff86340faaee8&oe=55085F90

tommartins
8 January 2015, 04:54
Thanks for the great info jerry. Will buy one soon!

Kopis
8 January 2015, 11:36
Well, ill drop a little update in. I was able to get a shield 9mm from Lanbo's armory on black friday for $320 shipped. I realized i ordered the safety model and emailed the company a few minutes later. He responded on black friday within 15 minutes and updated my order. Amazing service. Anyway, the trigger on the NS model is more like an apex trigger kit on the safety model. Im extremely pleased. Sadly, my girlfriend took it away within a few weeks. It fits her hand much better than my glock. Oh well... have to get another next year i guess!

Im still blown away how accurate this little gun is. Great backup or even EDC if you're comfortable with a lower round count. It handled the 9mm 147gr Hornady p+ rounds no problem.

Gaspipeshooter
8 January 2015, 11:40
Well, ill drop a little update in. I was able to get a shield 9mm from Lanbo's armory on black friday for $320 shipped. I realized i ordered the safety model and emailed the company a few minutes later. He responded on black friday within 15 minutes and updated my order. Amazing service. Anyway, the trigger on the NS model is more like an apex trigger kit on the safety model. Im extremely pleased. Sadly, my girlfriend took it away within a few weeks. It fits her hand much better than my glock. Oh well... have to get another next year i guess!

Im still blown away how accurate this little gun is. Great backup or even EDC if you're comfortable with a lower round count. It handled the 9mm 147gr Hornady p+ rounds no problem.

Sounds like you need to show your girlfriend who's boss...[BD]

On a serious note, glad to hear the trigger on the non-safety model is better. I just sold my Shield with the safety to buy one without. I'll probably still do the Apex deal to it though...

Kopis
8 January 2015, 14:29
Sounds like you need to show your girlfriend who's boss...[BD]

On a serious note, glad to hear the trigger on the non-safety model is better. I just sold my Shield with the safety to buy one without. I'll probably still do the Apex deal to it though...

haha, dont worry, she made up for it! I have plenty of glocks. I got that just because. She's living in memphis by herself right now and a pretty girl shouldnt leave home without a firearm there. If you happen to do the APEX and remember me, shoot me a PM and let me know. I read a bunch of reviews and they mostly seemed to say the APEX didnt change the NS model much if any.

Gaspipeshooter
8 January 2015, 19:28
haha, dont worry, she made up for it! I have plenty of glocks. I got that just because. She's living in memphis by herself right now and a pretty girl shouldnt leave home without a firearm there. If you happen to do the APEX and remember me, shoot me a PM and let me know. I read a bunch of reviews and they mostly seemed to say the APEX didnt change the NS model much if any.

Will do. I used to be good friends with a guy until he fell off the face of the Earth, (bad divorce I think), and he had a "unique" name for Memphis. Check your PMs.

GOST
8 January 2015, 19:35
Kopis do you live around Memphis? My aunt attended a physical therapy school in Memphis, I've also got in-laws that live in Memphis.

Farva
19 February 2015, 23:07
Ive got a full size M&P 9 and I have been kicking around getting the Shield or 9c for a backup/ ankle gun and I'm leaning heavily towards the Shield.

MonkeyBomb
19 February 2015, 23:21
I was waiting for Glock to come out with a single stack 9mm. I think a S&W Shield without the safety is in my future.

DutyUse
19 February 2015, 23:27
Waiting for the single stack Glock 9 to materialize has made the shield very tempting. When they first shipped I couldn't justify it while owning the Walther pps, but now I have a hole in my rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Txfilmmaker
21 February 2015, 09:57
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/21/9951a87eff2818b2e2f4fdecea410f9a.jpg
If you get a Shield, I recommend getting the rubberized Talon grip for it. (Shown here on my 9c). I have large hands and found the grip felt slippery. The Talon grip fixes that. Both of my brothers carry Shields. I would have purchased one, but I'm a lefty and they only came with a right-handed safety when I was looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nCarnage
13 March 2015, 15:51
My buddy bought one. Fell in love with it. Only issue I had with it was everytime I took a shot, my trigger finger would go from proper indexing to my first knuckle on the trigger. Didnt like that. But my grouping was still tight.

Musashi
15 March 2015, 05:59
Is there a mod to make the safety bigger? I like manual safeties but the shield lever is too tiny.