PDA

View Full Version : Decent light weight optics

FortTom
21 September 2013, 14:45
I am currently building a new rifle. The basis for this weapon is two-fold. It had to be light, and would serve more of a role of a close range "patrol" rifle. I have a Bravo Company BHF mid-length (light weight) upper with Centurion rails on the way, and the lower is a CORE 15 Lower. Stock will be CRt.

The biggest reason for the light weight is that I'm going to be having a herniated disk removed, and I always seem to hurt as much after a surgery as I did before. That and age.

My problem is that this rifle is already going over budget and I still plan on buying a NiB BCU and either a BCM charging handle, or PRI Gas Buster.

When I went "web" shopping for Aim Point sights, such as the T1 or H1, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the price tag. Then the prices just went up from there to the $800 plus range.

I do understand you "get what you pay for", but there must be a decent alternative that will fulfill this purpose, for a non-professional shooter (retired), and still be somewhat affordable, without taking out a second mortgage. I did see that their "Patrol Optic" scope was around the $420 mark now.

I also have owned an Eotech, and frankly didn't like it, and sold it at a loss, just to get rid of it.

Are there any other recommendations out there? Please, again keep in mind weight. I can't use something like a sight and magnifying optic. Just a red dot, or possibly a recticle of some sort, that is both sturdy enough for non-professional needs, but
reliable enough if I had to bet my life on it.

Thanks ahead for any suggestions,

FT

UWone77
21 September 2013, 15:57
FT,

What the max budget then? I'm assuming a red-dot is where you're looking at then?

FortTom
21 September 2013, 16:06
Well, UW, I was hoping to get off with about $300. That may be a deal breaker right there, and I'd have to pay more. Red Dot would be great, but I'd consider others. I just like the lack of parallax problems with the red dot, and if the "dot's on the target", you'll get a hit.

Thanks,
FT

UWone77
21 September 2013, 16:22
For the money, I really like the Vortex SPARC. $200 with the mount included. Listed at 5.2oz

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?5096-Vortex-SPARC&highlight=sparc

mustangfreek
21 September 2013, 16:40
Does the sparc have a nice crisp dot? I had a PA on my .22 ar but the dot was too big and somewhat star shaped..lol

Rich, how does the aimpoint pro stack up here ? i know the other person wanted lightweight , but while i got you on the subject..[BD]

FortTom
21 September 2013, 16:50
Thanks. I'll definitely bookmark this page for consideration. The "torture" tests were pretty impressive for a $200 optic. Battery life sucks, but like the reviewers said, "you're not investing $600 plus" bucks. I'll keep this one in mind. Thanks.

FT

gatordev
21 September 2013, 17:26
The Aimpoint PRO is a solid optic. I have two of them and they've run great with zero issues. You *might* be able to shave off an ounce or two by switching to a Larue mount, but I don't have the numbers to confirm that. You also negate the price point by paying extra for another mount.

I have one of Primary Arms T-1 clones which cost ~$100 without the mount. It's on a 15-22 and has a decent dot, but I haven't run the gun much to say how robust it is. There's plenty of people out there that put them on 5.56 guns and seem to love them. Getting your hands on one is the tough part, as they're supply is hot and cold from China. I also have one of their 3 MOA COMP3/ML3/whatever3 clones with the three different reticules. It's running on another .22, but that thing has been SUPER solid. I've had it for several years and several thousands rounds (of .22, but plenty have used 5.56) and haven't had an issue.

If you're locked into a more "pro" red dot, I don't think you'd be upset with the Aimpoint PRO, it will just weigh a bit more than the T-1/H-1.

UWone77
21 September 2013, 17:34
The number #1 optic I recommend is the Aimpoint PRO. I'm not sure if you can get rid of something on your rifle to even out the weight, but I've seen the PRO as low as $350. That's a smoking deal for an Aimpoint, considering we use to recommend to people getting Aimpoint C3's. The PRO is a much better deal then the C3 ever was.

IF you can manage the weight, that's the direction I'd go.

FortTom
21 September 2013, 18:34
The number #1 optic I recommend is the Aimpoint PRO. I'm not sure if you can get rid of something on your rifle to even out the weight, but I've seen the PRO as low as $350. That's a smoking deal for an Aimpoint, considering we use to recommend to people getting Aimpoint C3's. The PRO is a much better deal then the C3 ever was.

IF you can manage the weight, that's the direction I'd go.
That's one I was looking at. Less than 6oz, a little over 11oz with the mount, I haven't seen any as low as @ $350, all have been around the 420 mark, but, it too is one i'm considering.

Thanks,
FT

Eric
21 September 2013, 18:43
My standard recommendation is always the Aimpoint PRO as well. It's a best buy with Aimpoint quality. The included mount is totally usable and the weight difference is fairly minimal. I'm happy using a Vortex on a .22, but not on a primary.

Vic
21 September 2013, 20:27
Tom,

If you can wait until a sale, you can often find a 10% coupon that will knock the price of the PRO down to ~$350, such as during the last SKDTac sale on Labor Day.

Army Chief
21 September 2013, 20:34
Another solid vote cast in favor of the PRO.

It does add a bit of weight over the T-1/H-1 series, but I find it a bit easier to use with aging eyes, as well. Pricewise, nothing else can touch it, and you're pretty much getting the bulletproof M68 CCO design you're already familiar with, along with the latest circuitry. As stated, you don't have to immediately throw away the mount, either. I've bought several of them for various projects (both my own, and those of a few others), and will doubtless pick up another one or two once I get some pending projects completed. They can be found pretty readily for $400 as I recall; a bit less if your timing is right.

Again, well worth the price of admission, and probably the best buy on the market right now, considering the quality.

AC

FortTom
21 September 2013, 21:56
Another solid vote cast in favor of the PRO.

It does add a bit of weight over the T-1/H-1 series, but I find it a bit easier to use with aging eyes, as well. Pricewise, nothing else can touch it, and you're pretty much getting the bulletproof M68 CCO design you're already familiar with, along with the latest circuitry. As stated, you don't have to immediately throw away the mount, either. I've bought several of them for various projects (both my own, and those of a few others), and will doubtless pick up another one or two once I get some pending projects completed. They can be found pretty readily for $400 as I recall; a bit less if your timing is right.

Again, well worth the price of admission, and probably the best buy on the market right now, considering the quality.

AC

First, thank you all for your time and responses. I've searched around, even some of the "alternatives" such as Weaver and many more. Most weights are approx. 8oz. but by the time you add a mount, you're at 14oz or more. The aimpoint Pro weighs in at 11oz., mount included.

Then Army Chief hit on a major point when he brought up ageing eyes, it's important to, and it applies to me. So I think I'll go with the Aimpoint Pro Patrol model. This build should be lighter and quicker handling than my LMT (built without regard for weight). And I'm over budget anyway.[crazy]

Good catch on the weight Chief, and again, thank for all of the imput.

FT

UWone77
21 September 2013, 22:07
FT, if you're at or under budget, you're doing it wrong.

Army Chief
22 September 2013, 01:35
My primary "go to" carbine is a PRO-equipped SR-15E3, so in reality, I had the very same goals with respect to keeping the weight down. The SR is an almost unbelievably-light rifle to begin with, so the weight of the Aimpoint has proved largely to be a non-factor. That is partly a function of its actual weight, of course, but it also has something to do with where that weight happens to sit on the gun. I doubt that you will be disappointed with the results -- and no one ever regretted buying quality right up front over the long haul.

I like the idea of a good 1-4x as well (and have a NF NXS C in the mix for certain applications); but have yet to see any worthwhile variables that come anywhere close to "making weight" for purposes of this discussion. Once you get the rings and mounts sorted out, they all come out a bit too heavy for most fast-handling carbine work. Definitely doesn't leave you with a package that you want to be running a lot of drills with in a multi-day class. The PRO pretty much goes unnoticed in the same environment, and just unobtrusively goes about doing what it was designed to do with boring consistency.

AC

Hmac
22 September 2013, 05:08
I have both an Aimpoint PRO and a Micro T-1. The T- 1 is noticeably light, but if cost is a consideration then I would go with the PRO. Your problem with your back is going to be the lever arm based at the shoulder. and the mid-gun location of the optic means that the force necessary to bring it up is going to be less. That weight difference would be much more noticeable if the optic was located at the end of the muzzle, for example.

FortTom
22 September 2013, 13:32
Yes, actually I hadn't thought of that. For years I shot CAR's, an now Mid Length, and tend to extend my arm out farther with a rail system vs a CAR hand guard. I'm right handed and I believe that the Dr. said that they'll be removing the herniated disc from the left side, where most of my pain is now. Maybe I'll put on a hand stop and pull my left hand in a bit. I'll give up a little accuracy for some comfort, until I heal completely. Thanks.

FT.

gatordev
22 September 2013, 17:54
Something I forgot to mention but that UWone and others touched on... You can find the PRO for ~$400, but if you're willing to go "used," often times you can find one in NIB condition for less. Because I live in CA at the moment, I frequent Calguns.net and they're all over the place there for less than $400 from reputable sellers. I'm sure you could find them for the same price on AR15.com as well (though I've never made a purchase there).

Sounds like it scratches the right itch for only a *little* bit more than you wanted to spend but with the weight savings on par with your requirements.

Computalotapus
11 October 2013, 08:53
SKD Tactical is running a sale on Aimpoint optics right now! Sale prices are looking really good.

Jerry R
11 October 2013, 10:03
^^ - Just checked their website - I really wish I needed one !! Great price !

FortTom
11 October 2013, 18:30
Thank you all. I got a great deal on a "like new" Aimpoint ML2 with a new QD Mount. It's light, I can pick up the dot immediately, even with my "ageing eyes" with it set at 5th position out of 9, and the QD Mount, an American Defense Manufacturing, seems extremely sturdy and fits extremely tight. I can get 1/3 co-witness with a minor shift of cheek, and I haven't sighted the scope in yet. I've been told that it is very similar to the Aimpoint Pro. It's weight when mounted really wasn't noticeable, and it points as quickly as it did without a scope/mount. Thanks for all of your advice, or I'd probably still be looking.

FT

Jnarowe
15 October 2013, 20:31
on the subject of aging eyes, what would be recommended for a multiplier, or is that not compatible with the Pro?

UWone77
15 October 2013, 21:08
on the subject of aging eyes, what would be recommended for a multiplier, or is that not compatible with the Pro?

A magnifier will work with the PRO. Personally, I don't care for magnifiers. Either get a red dot or a variable powered scope.

Obviously powered optics really depend on how much you're willing to spend.

Hmac
15 October 2013, 22:12

My magnifier woks very well with my Aimpoint PRO and the T-1. It wants the 7mm riser installed, but my Eotechs are all for lower-third co-witness, so no issues.

I've had an Eotech G23FTS for years. I used to use it only occasionally for sighting, but as my eyes age I find it helpful in other situations. In fact I used it in a carbine course for the first time a couple of months ago (withe the PRO) and found it helpful to flip it up from 25-50 yards. I'm going to try it in an outlaw 3- gun in a couple of weeks.

That one magnifier works great on all of my guns whether they use Eotechs or Aimpoints (PRO or T-1) ... Just clamp it on and it's ready to go.