PDA

View Full Version : Polymer BU Sights

FortTom
24 September 2013, 18:08
I'm looking for some back-up sights (polymer, to help keep weight down), and honestly, the truth is I don't know diddly about the quality of them, except for the A.R.M.S., that I bought, and I can tell you 20 different ways they suck.

Can anyone here educate me? I have been looking at the Magpul, but only because that's really all I can find any decent info about. Also, some (magpul) I was looking at said "non-PTS" version. I'm not familiar with that acronym at all.

Any other manufacturers worth looking into? Any way you can "school" me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

FT

Computalotapus
24 September 2013, 18:48
I have the magpul gen 2 rear BUIS on my S&W M&P 15. I personally like it, it does it's job, was easy to adjust and I haven't had to mess with it since. I have a FSB iron sight so I can't say anything about the front BUIS as I haven't used one.

FortTom
24 September 2013, 19:38
I have the magpul gen 2 rear BUIS on my S&W M&P 15. I personally like it, it does it's job, was easy to adjust and I haven't had to mess with it since. I have a FSB iron sight so I can't say anything about the front BUIS as I haven't used one.
Comp, thanks. I was finally able to Bing and Google enough to find out what PTS meant, essentially that they are a cheaper version suitable for air soft stuff. My research shows nearly all reviews on the magpul being very good, with a few (expected) negative reviews.
I think I'll go that way, as they seem to be (from written reviews and You Tube video's) to be of very good quality, for something that would only be used if my optic broke.

Thanks,
FT

UWone77
25 September 2013, 14:32
FT,

I probably own 10 sets of Gen 2 MBUS sights. They work well for what they are. I use rear one with my duty gun. (The front sight is a sight post) as I'm confident in their durability and performance. They're cost effective as well. I think they're around $65 a set with a MIL/LE discount.

I would definitely get a pair of Gen 2 MBUS's vs the Gen 1's. The Gen 1's were easy to break if you accidentally over-torqued them with the screw driver or (allen head for the earliest versions) The Gen 2's are also lower profile. With all the PTS gear selling on eBay and secondary markets, I only buy Magpul from authorized dealers. Even more so now with the Rainier Arms Raptor debacle.

Eric
25 September 2013, 18:26
You'll be happy with the MBUS. Despite the improvements in the Gen 2, I'm still running the original version without any problems.

zero7one
26 September 2013, 00:04
I don't know diddly about the quality of them, except for the A.R.M.S., that I bought, and I can tell you 20 different ways they suck.

What problems did you find with the A.R.M.S. sights?

FortTom
26 September 2013, 16:15
Thanks, I ordered a set of the MBUS Gen2 BLK. Can't wait to try them. Zero 71, flipping the rear open and having the metal insert fly out was the last straw. There were other straws before that. One thing was the bright finish of the mounting screws. Not very "stealthy".

FT

FortTom
30 September 2013, 18:45
Thank you all for the lead to the Magpul MBUS. They came in, and I was really surprised with the apparent quality of them. They look like they could endure a lot of abuse. Not bad for a little less than 85 bucks.

FT.