PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a Tavor SAR.

MoxyDave
2 October 2013, 13:16
I just bought a Tavor SAR 16". I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. The only drawbacks I can see so far are that it's kind of heavy and the line of sight is quite a bit higher from the bore than an AR. Looking forward to getting out and putting some rounds through it.

It's considerably shorter than even my 12.5" SBR'd ARs and all the weight is in the rear so it points very nicely, despite being a bit overweight. It seems extremely well-made. The barrel is hammer forged and all the parts are very well machined. Better be, for the price I paid :o

This is my first bullpup rifle. I don't know what to expect.

Anyone have a Tavor? What are your thoughts?

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/kaz53_photos/IWI%20US%20-%20Tavor%20SAR%20-%20UZI%20PRO%20Pistol/IWI-TSFD16-TavorSARFT165-FDELeftSide.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/kaz53_photos/IWI%20US%20-%20Tavor%20SAR%20-%20UZI%20PRO%20Pistol/IWI-TSB18-TavorSARFT18-Black-RightSide.jpg

Jerry R
2 October 2013, 15:30
Two pix - did you get the black or FDE?

They received "glowing" reviews. I will be very interested in your thoughts after a range trip, and a cleaning session.

Have you put an RDS or other optic on it yet?

zero7one
2 October 2013, 19:03
I have heard great things, though I don't have an educated personal opinion from my own experiences. Treat the Tavor like its own rifle and don't rely on your knowledge of the AR platform in how it shoots, handles, and functions. You will need to relearn functions like mag changes, etc. Good luck and keep us updated.

FortTom
2 October 2013, 21:11
Everything I've read (I've never seen one in person) gave it fantastic review and I'd feel safe in betting that I've probably read at least 20 reviews in different magazines over the last 2 years. Can't wait to hear what you think. Make sure to give us a full blown review on it when you get a chance. Have fun you lucky dog.

FT

MoxyDave
3 October 2013, 11:18
Two pix - did you get the black or FDE? Have you put an RDS or other optic on it yet?
I wanted FDE but I could only find a black one in town. They're kind of scarce around here so I settled for the black version.

I'm using an Aimpoint Micro T-1 on a Larue LT660 tall (AR lower 1/3) mount. Due to the higher sight plane it works out a little differently than on an AR, but it gives a very natural cheek weld. No hunting for the dot, it comes right into view when you shoulder the weapon.

I will post a review after I've had some trigger time.

MoxyDave
3 October 2013, 11:21
Everything I've read (I've never seen one in person) gave it fantastic review and I'd feel safe in betting that I've probably read at least 20 reviews in different magazines over the last 2 years. Can't wait to hear what you think. Make sure to give us a full blown review on it when you get a chance. Have fun you lucky dog.

Hehe thanks. I'm excited to try it out. I have been researching it for a long time. I read everything I could find and watched every video. For expensive items like this I tend to go overboard with research before I jump in :)

MoxyDave
3 October 2013, 11:28
I have heard great things, though I don't have an educated personal opinion from my own experiences. Treat the Tavor like its own rifle and don't rely on your knowledge of the AR platform in how it shoots, handles, and functions. You will need to relearn functions like mag changes, etc. Good luck and keep us updated.

Absolutely. Just holding it is very different from an AR. The Israelis teach a hold that offers "6 points of contact" where you brace your forearm against the angled fore-end, so that your fingers are up near the angled rail on the front. It is a very different type of hold and it will take some time before it feels "natural". When I pick it up now I tend to grab it like an AR, which works but it's not optimal for this design.

I put an Inforce WML on the angled side rail in order to force myself to use this new type of hold. It does minimize your profile quite a bit and with the shorter overall length, it seems super handy.

csmith
3 October 2013, 21:24
Roundabout which area are you in MoxyDave? Nothing specific, just curious. I've been looking around for one just to handle (no immediate intentions to purchase), but the Springs seems to be having a hard enough time stocking ARs, let alone the new hotness. I haven't seen a SCAR, ACR, Tavor, FS2000, etc. anywhere.

MoxyDave
4 October 2013, 17:10
Try Specialty Sports & Supply. That's where I got mine. They said a new shipment would be coming in soon. Apparently they received 5 Tavors and sold them all (at inflated prices I might add) in only a few days.

Ask them to put your name on their list and they will call you when they have one ... they don't need to know that you don't intend to purchase :)

MoxyDave
23 October 2013, 16:21
Had a chance to send a few downrange last weekend. Ran a snake through the bore and lightly oiled the action before I began.

Shooting XM193 from C-Products mags, it worked flawlessly. Only had time to run through a few mags so I'm not ready for a full review yet, but so far I am extremely impressed. Recoil is very controllable, trigger is very heavy but works well, and the whole package feels much lighter than it is due to all the weight being towards the rear.

The most interesting and difficult part for me is the manual of arms. I kept reaching up front for mag changes, having used AR15-style weapons for years. Training would be a huge concern if you were to switch to the Tavor full-time. It would take some time before mag changes & charging the weapon became quick and natural.

I had to ditch the Larue mount with the Aimpoint. The rail on the Tavor has a space through the center. Mounts like the Larue do not mount solidly. I'll be ordering an ADM or similar mount for the Micro T-1 soon. The irons worked just fine, and they are built right into the rail so they're always with you and easy to deploy.

Everyone had a great time shooting the Tavor. It is quite different, especially if you haven't used a bullpup before. I'm really looking forward to spending more time with it soon.

Problems with Larue Mount on Tavor (bullpupforum) (http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=3582.0)

http://i56.tinypic.com/2drw85f.jpg

UWone77
23 October 2013, 16:46
Dave any chance you'll be doing any suppressed shooting with the TAVOR?

MoxyDave
24 October 2013, 01:25
I've read several accounts of people using the rifle with a suppressor and it sounds like it's extremely over-gassed. Sounds very similar to my experiences with the same setup on a standard carbine-length AR15 - just too much overpressure. You really have to dial in the gas system for intended use, and there is no option for that on the Tavor.

It's easy to dismiss until you actually use the system, and have that ammonia-smell blast into your face and eyes. It's like having a face full of teargas; when you have a high volume of fire it completely immobilizes you and makes it impossible to target the weapon system.

Still, I may throw the AAC 51t on there if there is room and try my SPR/M4 just to see ... somebody want to buy me some ammo? :-)

TV-PressPass
28 November 2013, 11:48
Congratulations on your purchase!

I've had mine for the past 2 years and its my number one favourite rifle.

You're certainly not alone with the suppressor issues.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8381/8590312849_7a8b2efe94_c.jpg