PDA

View Full Version : Chest Rig Questions

Computalotapus
11 October 2013, 18:46
Over the winter I want to put my gear together and start dry practicing so in the spring and summer next year I can start entering into some local CQB competitions. This year I had been practicing basically having the mags in my back pocket.

Now since my life isn't in any danger I really want to rule out a plate carrier. I am looking for something with 3+ AR mags and 2+ pistol mag slots. Minimalistic, functionaly and adjustable.

I am leaning towards the Haley Strategic Disruptive Environments Chest Rig and Maybe run a HSP D3 Carrier on a riggers belt if I need more than what the chest rig offers.

I am up for suggestions if anyone can recommend something else. If anyone else is running CQB or 3 Gun what are you guys using?

gatordev
11 October 2013, 20:58
I've run a simple Eagle chest rig in two classes and it's nice. Rob_s has a review of it on his site, which is where I first heard of it. I don't think you can get them new anymore, but SKD used to sell them. It nice and simple and you can add a 4th pouch on there if you want. Sometimes I'll also use it when I go shoot in the desert as an easy way to carry mags if I'm going to shoot distance. That said, in a local competition, running Kydex works just fine. I actually find it quicker.

Blade Tech makes a combo carrier that has two pistol mag carriers attached to an AR carrier which is pretty nice. You can orient the AR mag any way you want when you order. If I shoot a two-gun match, I'll run one of those and then another AR carrier and that's usually plenty (with a third AR mag in a pocket if I need it).

Note: I subscribe to simple and effective and not tons of gear, so depending on your needs, my comments may not be what you're looking for.

Computalotapus
11 October 2013, 22:09
Did a search for them the one at SKD is unavailable but looks right. Can't find it anywhere but came across the Condor Recon chest rig that looks very similar but carries a heavier load out. I thought of running the kydex off the left hip as well. Could run a 3 ar mag setup with 2 pistol mags stacked out. This would keep it pretty simple and light. The downfall I have with running the kydex off the left hip is I sling off to the left so my right side is clear for drawing the secondary weapon system and I don't want the rifle getting in the way of reloads for the pistol. I do like the look of the eagle chest rig and will have to keep an eye out for it.

I like simple and effective as well and that Eagle rig looks nice. If I can find one it will save me some money vs the HS rig.

Hmac
11 October 2013, 23:22
I just wanted to go simple. I run everything off my belt...holster, dump pouch, a little holster for my TLR-1s, two pistol mags, and then either two pistol mags or two rifle mags depending on whether its a pistol occasion or rifle+pistol occasion. If the latter, I also have a (cost-effective) Tactical Tailor MAV with X-harness with only four EMDOM rifle magazine pouches, which I use to feed the FastMag pouches on my belt.

My life isn't in danger either, so I forgo IFAKs, tool pouches, tourniquets, hydration etc etc that I see at so many of these courses

rob_s
12 October 2013, 04:12
You may have not figured it out yet, but your life is in danger every time you enter into a strange environment with strangers with guns. I started carrying trauma supplies on the line after I saw my first ND on the line from some mouth-breathing idiot, and after looking down the barrel of other people's guns way too often.

On the subject of chest rigs...

Most people misunderstand the purpose of a non-LE civilian-use chest rig. Poo-pooing useful gear out of some desire to appear more real-world than the other guys is no less gay than wearing multi-cam because you think it looks cool.

My advice is to run your speed/emergency reloads off your belt, which means one pistol and one rifle mag on the belt. The chest rig is then used to back-feed those pouches when possible or as a source for a second or third reload if necessary. Tac-loads are done from the chest starting on the strong side and working towards the weak side.

After using the Eagle for years, I worked with US Grunt Gear to come up with this design.
http://www.usgruntgear.com/m1rarelitrma.html

Robert has since made several changes, some of which I like and some I do not, and some of which were my fault. My suggestion is to get it un-padded, without the front tie-downs, and with the un-padded H-harness shoulder straps. You can add pistol pouches on either side if you want/need to. I'd suggest choosing something like the HSGI Taco pouch so that you can use the same pouch for a light or multi-tool if the situation requires it.

I also attach a bench made strap cutter to the front of one of the AR pouches so that my gear can be cut off of me, or I can cut it off myself, if needed.

rob_s
12 October 2013, 04:18
Robert originally made a custom version of this rig for me that would accept the insert from the Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit Now! And a hard stitched multitool pouch. If you haven't figured it out, the fact that I choose to forgo 1-2 rifle mags for trauma supplies should indicate how seriously I take the possibility of getting shot by someone else on the line. You can also see here the bench made strap cutter pouch on the front.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-56964275823143_2263_14727084

Oh, and the whole rig will interface with Mayflower plate carriers with the nipple clips on them. Here's more about the impetus for the entire system.

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/reviews---gear/mayflower-armer-us-grunt-gear-load-carriage

Computalotapus
12 October 2013, 06:58
You may have not figured it out yet, but your life is in danger every time you enter into a strange environment with strangers with guns. I started carrying trauma supplies on the line after I saw my first ND on the line from some mouth-breathing idiot, and after looking down the barrel of other people's guns way too often.

On the subject of chest rigs...

Most people misunderstand the purpose of a non-LE civilian-use chest rig. Poo-pooing useful gear out of some desire to appear more real-world than the other guys is no less gay than wearing multi-cam because you think it looks cool.

My advice is to run your speed/emergency reloads off your belt, which means one pistol and one rifle mag on the belt. The chest rig is then used to back-feed those pouches when possible or as a source for a second or third reload if necessary. Tac-loads are done from the chest starting on the strong side and working towards the weak side.

After using the Eagle for years, I worked with US Grunt Gear to come up with this design.
http://www.usgruntgear.com/m1rarelitrma.html

Robert has since made several changes, some of which I like and some I do not, and some of which were my fault. My suggestion is to get it un-padded, without the front tie-downs, and with the un-padded H-harness shoulder straps. You can add pistol pouches on either side if you want/need to. I'd suggest choosing something like the HSGI Taco pouch so that you can use the same pouch for a light or multi-tool if the situation requires it.

I also attach a bench made strap cutter to the front of one of the AR pouches so that my gear can be cut off of me, or I can cut it off myself, if needed.

I agree and and was the reason for looking at the D3 G-code mag carrier. I had already planned on a light trauma kit either on the chest rig, hangin from a riggers belt, or in the range bag. I still have my issued benchmade that has a belt cutter on it that I planned attaching to myself somewhere.

The us grunt chest rig looks nice will look for then one with the pistol mags attached.

Hmac
12 October 2013, 10:57
You may have not figured it out yet, but your life is in danger every time you enter into a strange environment with strangers with guns. I started carrying trauma supplies on the line after I saw my first ND on the line from some mouth-breathing idiot, and after looking down the barrel of other people's guns way too often..

Rude and condescending comments aside, an IFAK on your chest rig, while admittedly really cool-looking (if that's what you're going for) might be important a) if you actually know how to use it, and b) you don't have one in your car, and c) if you are so unwise as to be shooting in a group at a range where they don't have one available, or d) the course instructor doesn't provide one. Carrying one on your chest rig is otherwise unnecessary in a range or class setting unless you're "training as you fight", or are just going for style points.

And Rob, do yourself a favor and make sure you understand how to actually use the contents of your IFAK. I see a lot of guys with IFAKs on their chest rigs that don't have a clue what the stuff if for, how to use it, or when. And please stay current on your EMS training. You may not have figured it out yet, but emergency trauma care is a perishable skill.

/

gatordev
12 October 2013, 16:15
Did a search for them the one at SKD is unavailable but looks right. Can't find it anywhere but came across the Condor Recon chest rig that looks very similar but carries a heavier load out. I thought of running the kydex off the left hip as well. Could run a 3 ar mag setup with 2 pistol mags stacked out. This would keep it pretty simple and light. The downfall I have with running the kydex off the left hip is I sling off to the left so my right side is clear for drawing the secondary weapon system and I don't want the rifle getting in the way of reloads for the pistol. I do like the look of the eagle chest rig and will have to keep an eye out for it.

I like simple and effective as well and that Eagle rig looks nice. If I can find one it will save me some money vs the HS rig.

I know this doesn't solve your sling/weak side/mag reload problem (although I personally haven't found that to be an issue), but here's another idea for you, kind of along with what Hmac mentioned:

http://www.usgruntgear.com/wamobe.html

Can be used with or without the chest rig and can run both pistol and rifle carriers (I have Eagle FB carriers), either with MOLLE or with a quick snap attachment like Blade Tech has. When I've done a pistol and rifle course, it's a nice combo with the chest rig. If I just need a holster and mags, it works fine too. I'll have that on every time I go out to the desert (much more than the chest rig) because it allows me to carry a dump pouch and pistol (mostly for any two-legged critters out there) and be comfortable all day. The load-bearing secondary belt is really nice. There are other designs like it, as well.

Just another fairly simple option that I've been really happy with.

Hmac
1 January 2014, 09:36
....I also have a (cost-effective) Tactical Tailor MAV with X-harness with only four EMDOM rifle magazine pouches, which I use to feed the FastMag pouches on my belt.

The only problem I have with the MAV is that it's a little cumbersome to put on. I don't need it enough to be a big deal, but someone who needs to slip it on quickly might be better off with the two-piece version that secures in front. I note that they also make a lighter version of the X-harness now. That might be a better choice on hot days.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/images/products/detail/IMG_3286_350.jpg

NORTEXED
5 February 2014, 08:06
I was looking for something along those lines too, but I want carriage for a hydration pouch on back for use in the wide opens of West Texas. My main problem is, I'm not a little feller, 6'5" , 350 lbs (and yes, I could stand to loose 50, but it's easier said than done. ) Any bigger guys have any experience with tac rigs in XXXL? Would like to carry 4 rifle mags, 2 extra pistol mags, pistol, hydration pack, and a few extra smalls like cellphone, SMALL first aid kit , knife and light.
The Condor Cross draw looks like what I want, but Does anyone make them bigger???

Thanks,
Ed