PDA

View Full Version : 6.8, 5.56, and unique solutions to an optics challenge

caporider
29 July 2008, 12:55
The optics challenge: how do you combine the speed of a red dot sight with the reach of a magnified scope?

I've tried the Aimpoint 3x magnifiers and have found them wanting in a number of important ways (FOV, optics quality, dot distortion for those with astigmatism).

So, here are a couple of ways I've tried to address this optics challenge.

On top is a 6.8SPC SBR with an S&B Short Dot in an LT SPR-E mount. This scope is the locking knob model with the FFP CQB reticle. The glass is amazing, it's built like a tank, and the locking BDC/windage knobs are very easy to use. The flash dot is visible in direct sunlight, and the reticle at 4x has useful holdover/lead markings. The scope is very heavy, however, and the flash dot is not usable at higher magnifications because the FFP nature of the reticle means the dot covers too much of the target.

At bottom is a 5.56 SBR with a Trijicon TA33R-8 3x mini ACOG (red chevron) combined with an Aimpoint Micro T-1. The T-1 is attached to a Larue Tactical low mount, which in turn is affixed to a Daniel Defense Offset Rail Mount (to provide the correct height over bore for me). Transitioning between the optics is just a matter of tilting the rifle a few degrees. This tilt does not break cheekweld and is accomplished in less than a second. Mounting one optic or the other from a low ready is also easy; of course, mounting the T-1 takes a bit more practice, but it's really no big deal. The combo setup weighs much less than the Short Dot and LT mount, moving between 3x and 1x is very fast, the red dot stays on all the time (as does the TA33s no-battery reticle), and the optics provide some redundancy for each other. The TA33, however, has a narrower FOV than the Short Dot, which might be an issue with fast movers or target transitions at a distance.

I'll let you guess which optics setup I prefer. [:D]

http://www.visuality.com/personal/armory/68_556_1000.jpg

klbrush3
29 July 2008, 15:03
great idea on the offset mounted Micro!

dual purpose optics is one I'm trying to figure out also. have been looking at the Aimpoint + 3x magnifier combo, or the ACOG + Doctor. seems like both are compromise though...

let us know what you think about your new set-ups

rljatl
12 October 2008, 10:56
Take a look at the Swarovsky Z6i 1x-6x. Pricey, but looks like a great solution to me.

I am trying to decide which way to go too. Either a high power scope (2x-10x?) with an auxiliary red dot or something like the Swarovsky. Hard to decide when you have no way to try before you buy.

Paulo_Santos
15 October 2008, 19:42
Take a look at the Swarovsky Z6i 1x-6x. Pricey, but looks like a great solution to me.

I am trying to decide which way to go too. Either a high power scope (2x-10x?) with an auxiliary red dot or something like the Swarovsky. Hard to decide when you have no way to try before you buy.

Check out their new 2.5x15x56 with the new turret. I have the 1x6 and it is a nice scope.