PDA

View Full Version : Some Insight on muzzle devices

LMMzach
23 October 2013, 17:32
Well I'm down to barrel gas block and muzzle device for my first rifle build (will post in explain your rifle when done) I am pretty sure I'm going to go with a 14.5" Rainier arms barrel still not sure which one but any to the point.

I know I'm going to have to pin my muzzle device so I want to make sure I get the right one for me. This rifle is my first ar all together it's been a fun best process learning about all the parts and how they work. I won't be using this rifle in combat or anything. it is just a self defense fun shtf reliable firearm.

So wondering if I can get some leads on what rout to take any help would be great thanks.

zero7one
23 October 2013, 23:48
I would personally go with the Battle Comp 1.5, which was built for 14.5" barrels to ensure you have at least 16" to stay legal. Plus it has a pin hole already manufactured in it.

Here is the product:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2253

...And Rainier Arms can take care of the pinning and welding for you as well...

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1527

Computalotapus
24 October 2013, 08:29
I would personally go with the Battle Comp 1.5, which was built for 14.5" barrels to ensure you have at least 16" to stay legal. Plus it has a pin hole already manufactured in it.

Here is the product:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2253

+1

rob_s
24 October 2013, 10:45
Do any of the new BCM comps do the 1.5"? If so that's probably what I'd do.

Eric
24 October 2013, 12:06
Either the BCM or BC are good choices. However, I would reconsider the 14.5" barrel with a pined/welded muzzle device. You're married to it once it's welded in place and you really don't gain much.

MoxyDave
24 October 2013, 12:17
However, I would reconsider the 14.5" barrel with a pined/welded muzzle device. You're married to it once it's welded in place and you really don't gain much.

+1

I have owned both and I would not buy another 14.5" again. The difference in length is negligible.

schambers
24 October 2013, 13:45
I think the first thing you should do is figure out what you want the muzzle device to do. Reduce flash, control muzzle climb, allow the attachment of a surpressor, etc. A lot of muzzle devices will claim to compensate and reduce flash and whatnot but keep in mind that everything is a trade off, so a thing that will do everything will only do those things moderately well. Determining your endstate will help you narrow down your options.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/ did a look at muzzle devices and how they effect flash, interesting to check out.

mustangfreek
24 October 2013, 19:12
I run a XTC on my one AR and will probably pick up another for my new build, for the price its good for me. kinda loud and not a lot of reduced muzzle flash, but helped the muzzle rise/flip for me.

Would like to try out a battlecomp when funds allow

rob_s
25 October 2013, 02:13
Either the BCM or BC are good choices. However, I would reconsider the 14.5" barrel with a pined/welded muzzle device. You're married to it once it's welded in place and you really don't gain much.

I agree, but I've given up trying to get people to understand this.

UWone77
25 October 2013, 21:17
I agree, but I've given up trying to get people to understand this.

Rob,

It was you that actually turned the tides for me. A few years back I remember reading a post you wrote on m4c, and it turned the lightbulb on for me. I still have 4 or 5 pinned 14.5's, but have migrated to all 16" barrels. Of those 4 or 5, I know I have at least 3 muzzle devices on them, that I have no desire to shoot. After you get a muzzle device pinned is the wrong time to decide you don't like it.

Like Eric commented, if you pin and weld something, you are stuck with it. Sure you can unweld it, but you'll destroy your muzzle device in the process.

Vic
25 October 2013, 22:18
Zach,

I'm going to add my voice to the chorus of folks suggesting that you get a 16" barrel. Furthermore, I'm going to suggest, based upon our message traffic and your posts, that you should go with an A2 flash hider. I know it's not sexy. I know it's not what you see in the glossy magazines. I also know that it does the job and going this route will save you money that you can spend on ammunition to figure out what it is exactly that you need. If it turns out that you want more recoil management or flash hiding capabilities, you can always swap the A2 out later at little to no service cost. Personally, I only went with the PWS for my build because it was free and was intending to stick with an A2 until I had at least several hundred rounds through the rifle, shot in various shooting positions.

eodinert
14 December 2013, 05:28
Better yet, go with an A1 flash hider [:)]

FortTom
14 December 2013, 12:20
Zach,

I'm going to add my voice to the chorus of folks suggesting that you get a 16" barrel. Furthermore, I'm going to suggest, based upon our message traffic and your posts, that you should go with an A2 flash hider. I know it's not sexy. I know it's not what you see in the glossy magazines. I also know that it does the job and going this route will save you money that you can spend on ammunition to figure out what it is exactly that you need. If it turns out that you want more recoil management or flash hiding capabilities, you can always swap the A2 out later at little to no service cost. Personally, I only went with the PWS for my build because it was free and was intending to stick with an A2 until I had at least several hundred rounds through the rifle, shot in various shooting positions.

This and all of the above. I made that mistake once, on the "advice" of another, pinning on a muzzle device to make things legal. Looking back, I must have had my brain turned off at the time (it happens). My rifles have 16" barrels, my latest, just recently purchased, a complete upper from BCM, well a friend made me a believer with a B.E. Meyers flash hider, and I'm free to switch devices any time my heart desires, and wallet allows.

FT

LMMzach
30 December 2013, 09:04
So I got a little side tracked my build had to be out on hold. I'm back at it now. The A2 is a flash hider tho correct? Shouldn't I get a break for a civilian rifle? Also think in going with a 16" seems like everyone agrees on that aspect. These are the last two items I need to finish my build

UWone77
31 December 2013, 04:26
So I got a little side tracked my build had to be out on hold. I'm back at it now. The A2 is a flash hider tho correct? Shouldn't I get a break for a civilian rifle? Also think in going with a 16" seems like everyone agrees on that aspect. These are the last two items I need to finish my build

If you haven't decided what muzzle device you want to go with quite yet, the A2 is the easiest $5 device you can spend your money one. It's still a decent flash hider. A civilian rifle doesn't necessarily need a brake. I like flash hiders as well as compensators (which I consider a combination of brakes and flash hiders such as the BattleComp) There are so many muzzle devices out there it's mind boggling if you're new to it all. Just shoot the A2 in the mean time and figure out what your needs are from there.

Make sure you share some pictures of your new build with us!

Eric
31 December 2013, 11:28
Just shoot the A2 in the mean time and figure out what your needs are from there.! This. There's an almost overwhelming variety of muzzle devices out there; start with the USGI A2. It's included with just about every complete rifle or compete upper and will give you a baseline on what the system does.