PDA

View Full Version : Lights on an AR with a FSP

gatordev
27 October 2013, 17:00
I've looked through the "Lights!" picture thread and I've perused the internet a bit, but I'm hoping someone can give some feedback (and maybe a picture or two) on how best to set up a light on an AR with a front sight post. Specifically, a 6920 and/or MK18 Mod 0 type set up. But here's some background:

I bought a WML light and a couple of Thorntail mounts. The light does pretty much what I need and the mounts work great on extended rails, sitting right in front of the front folding sight. But a Thorntail won't work (or I haven't been able to make it work) on a carbine length rifle with a FSP. I don't need a bunch of lights. 99% of my shooting is daytime, but I will probably take a class in the future that requires a light. I don't need/want to spend more money on another light/mount when I already have one. For the class, I have several rifle options in the safe. But I'd still like to have the ability to run a light on a more conventional setup (again, with a FSP).

So, is there an easy way to run a Inforce WML as far forward as I can (I have long arms) on a FSP setup? Or do I just need to suck it up and buy another light and mount to put on the FSP?

Computalotapus
27 October 2013, 17:16
What rail/handguard are you using?

I have a thorntail offset that works for me. Currently it's on the wife's AR awaiting her WML

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/28/eseze9uz.jpg

rob_s
27 October 2013, 18:24
Midwest industries FSB mount works great with a Surefire x300.

gatordev
28 October 2013, 15:40
What rail/handguard are you using?

I have a thorntail offset that works for me. Currently it's on the wife's AR awaiting her WML

It's an Omega 7 on a MK18 MOD 0, so the Thorntail won't fit unless I use a mag well hold, which doesn't really work for me.

Hmm...interesting. I can see how this works great for the Surefire. I'm trying to not spend the cash on another light right now and instead move the WML around as needed (which isn't very often). Do you think you can still have your thumb sit on the pressure pad on the WML with that mount and not burn the crap out of your digits? It looks like it has potential.

Jerry R
28 October 2013, 18:31
I ordered Rev-2 of the Bayonet Lug Accessory Mount from Brownells (BLAM-2). Completely out of the way and mounts at six o'clock so works well from either shoulder on "lean outs".

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/Colt%20LE-6920/LE-6920%20Sized%201024/First%20Pass%20-%20Lighting%20Issues/IMG_2255CDPAccessoryMount_zps3d97d072.jpg~original

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/Colt%20LE-6920/LE-6920%20Sized%201024/First%20Pass%20-%20Lighting%20Issues/IMG_2258TLR-1sHPFramedSize1024_zps280a2c8c.jpg~original

And mounted on my 6920

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/Colt%20LE-6920/LE-6920%20Sized%201024/First%20Pass%20-%20Lighting%20Issues/IMG_2262TLR-1sHPClose-upFramed_zps77ddd87d.jpg~original

browcs
28 October 2013, 19:45
I have a Mossie Midnight mount on one of my personal ARs. I greatly appreciate the ambidextrous nature of the design.

Deckard
28 October 2013, 23:16

I have the same mount on my carbine length AR. It's comfortable with an APL but I don't know what it'll be like with a WML. My only problem with this set up is that the barrel casts a large shadow.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/5294e8deb0094a5d034d00afcb1d22a0/tumblr_mn7qinx7x71ryr3vbo2_1280.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d392a9cf1ee8b04adff191064558bb3d/tumblr_mn7qinx7x71ryr3vbo3_1280.jpg

KevinBLC
28 October 2013, 23:27
I have the same mount on my carbine length AR. It's comfortable with an APL but I don't know what it'll be like with a WML. There is a big shadow.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/5294e8deb0094a5d034d00afcb1d22a0/tumblr_mn7qinx7x71ryr3vbo2_1280.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d392a9cf1ee8b04adff191064558bb3d/tumblr_mn7qinx7x71ryr3vbo3_1280.jpg

I really like that setup. Basic, everything you need. Nicely done. What kind of upper?

Deckard
29 October 2013, 00:38
I really like that setup. Basic, everything you need. Nicely done. What kind of upper?

Standard BCM 16". Aimpoint PRO coming soon.

rob_s
29 October 2013, 02:52
It's an Omega 7 on a MK18 MOD 0, so the Thorntail won't fit unless I use a mag well hold, which doesn't really work for me.

Hmm...interesting. I can see how this works great for the Surefire. I'm trying to not spend the cash on another light right now and instead move the WML around as needed (which isn't very often). Do you think you can still have your thumb sit on the pressure pad on the WML with that mount and not burn the crap out of your digits? It looks like it has potential.

I don't have an inforce but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

gatordev
29 October 2013, 15:32
I may have to give it a shot. Thanks all.

jhumphrey
4 December 2013, 10:53
Have you tried/looked at a Mossie Midnight mount?

http://www.mossietactics.com/Support.html

It should work well with your WML.

gatordev
4 December 2013, 20:04
Looking at the pics, I don't think it's long enough for the WML to fit on there with the "safety" in the off position. I also don't see how you'd get your thumb on the button without burning the crap out of it on the sight post since the button would be right in front of the post. I'm not quite sure how you do it even with a x300 without having some sort of alien fingers, to be honest. But maybe I'm just not seeing it from the right angle.

Iraqgunz
7 December 2013, 01:36
It's not hard. But, one thing you need to remember is this. This mount was designed as a lower cost solution to mount a light in the correct location (12 o'clock) without having to modify the weapon or add a rail system. If you are clearing streets in Fallujah then it's probably not for you. If you are using for defense then you will be fine. I know several guys that use them in that capacity and they understand the usage and limitations. Generally speaking a scenario would involve illuminating a potential threat and then once identified if necessary firing rounds down range. Since many of these scenarios result in less than 10 rounds fired and you are not going to burn yourself.

If you attend some Magul Super Dynamic Ninja Nightfighter Course and you pour 10 rounds down range in 3 seconds, then no it won't be for you. I use it on one of my basic carbines with an X300 and it works 100%. I believe Buck told me it will work with that light and I am almost certain it will work with an APL. We are actually setting up some carbines like that for Tucson Airport Police.

Looking at the pics, I don't think it's long enough for the WML to fit on there with the "safety" in the off position. I also don't see how you'd get your thumb on the button without burning the crap out of it on the sight post since the button would be right in front of the post. I'm not quite sure how you do it even with a x300 without having some sort of alien fingers, to be honest. But maybe I'm just not seeing it from the right angle.

gatordev
7 December 2013, 09:40
Iraqgunz,

I appreciate the insight. It seems like either way, I would still have to buy another light, which was originally what I was trying to avoid. Maybe that's something I'll just have to give up on. Or maybe the MK18 just doesn't get to run with a light, which is okay too.

As for classes, long term, that was also something I was considering. I haven't had any low-light training, so it would seem smart to eventually get that if I'm going to put a light on a gun. While I agree in an actual situation when you'd use your gun in anger, heat isn't going to be an issue, but to get to the point of being proficient with it (or at least have a remote idea of how to use a light on a carbine), having to put a few more rounds down in a class seems to still be something to consider (even if it isn't an Ultra Super Duper Cool Magpul class).

Iraqgunz
9 December 2013, 00:02
I have an 11.5" upper and I have a Centurion Arms 10" rail. I am using the Surefire X300 mounted at 12 o'clock and then the Magpul MBUS PRO front sight about two slots behind it. I am guessing this MK18 you have actually has an FSB? If so, yeah you are going to have play around. I was using a Thorntail SBR light mount with the Surefire but decided it was too goofy.

Iraqgunz,

I appreciate the insight. It seems like either way, I would still have to buy another light, which was originally what I was trying to avoid. Maybe that's something I'll just have to give up on. Or maybe the MK18 just doesn't get to run with a light, which is okay too.

As for classes, long term, that was also something I was considering. I haven't had any low-light training, so it would seem smart to eventually get that if I'm going to put a light on a gun. While I agree in an actual situation when you'd use your gun in anger, heat isn't going to be an issue, but to get to the point of being proficient with it (or at least have a remote idea of how to use a light on a carbine), having to put a few more rounds down in a class seems to still be something to consider (even if it isn't an Ultra Super Duper Cool Magpul class).

gatordev
9 December 2013, 17:57
I have an 11.5" upper and I have a Centurion Arms 10" rail. I am using the Surefire X300 mounted at 12 o'clock and then the Magpul MBUS PRO front sight about two slots behind it. I am guessing this MK18 you have actually has an FSB? If so, yeah you are going to have play around. I was using a Thorntail SBR light mount with the Surefire but decided it was too goofy.

Correct. Guess I should have specified it's a 6920 cut down to a MOD 0, not a MOD 1. Really, it's not that big a deal, it just probably won't get a light. I have plenty of other options to put a light on and/or take a class with one equipped. Again, I appreciate your input, though.

John Moses
10 December 2013, 12:12
I Like the Mosie Midnight as well. Magpul just came out with an extended mount that you may also want to check out.

johnnywitt
14 December 2013, 14:56
I just got 2 more Colt 6720 Lt Weight Carbines and …well, I want to keep them stock & lightweight- ha ha (already have enough heavy ass guns). I am thinking that The MX Industries FSB Light Mount will work- a little heavy, but I don't want a tape switch like the Mossie would appear to need (not knocking it). The MX Ind. Mount has 2 versions, a straight up Pic Rail and a single slot rail. Which would be better. I plan to cut down the unused side for weight. Just need a X300 on the std. left side mounting position.
You know, of all the things gun related, even above cleaning DI guns & maybe settling on pistol sights, finding good weapon light solutions is IMO the biggest PIA.
Wow, I just realized that I've been on here since '09 and this is my first post.[BD]

Stickman
16 December 2013, 16:42
I Like the Mosie Midnight as well. Magpul just came out with an extended mount that you may also want to check out.

I'm also a big fan of the Mossie Mount, as well as the new Magpul Rail Light Mount, which is relatively new, but works well. Here's a link. (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG498/46)