PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19?

dialM4murder
15 August 2007, 15:41
Share your pros cons of the G19.

mods: please move if pistol talk isnt allowed in this room.

Stickman
15 August 2007, 16:08
15 rounds of 9mm +P+ in a concealable package is why I tend to carry the Glock 19 as my primary offduty weapon. My Glocks, as well as the Glocks of other officers and departments that I've worked with have had great things to say about the 9mm Glock series.

With the advent of new duty/ hollow point ammo, I can't help but wonder if the 9mm Glocks will make a strong come back as a general issue police duty weapon.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Handguns/IMG_2323%20Stick.jpg

Eric
16 August 2007, 04:41
I picked up my G19 17 yrs ago when I was issued A G17. Good luck ever getting me to give it up. It's been carried a lot, used heavily and keeps going. Without getting into the 9mm vs .45 vs .40 debate, the G19 is just about the ideal off-duty or concealed carry pistol for many.

dialM4murder
16 August 2007, 13:42
I just ordered one, think I over paid a bit though.

Hey stick, any more glock pics? I need some new wallpaper.

Stickman
16 August 2007, 14:02
This one is my favorite....

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Handguns/IMG_3594%20Stick.jpg

dialM4murder
16 August 2007, 14:13
Thanks.

USMC
19 August 2007, 11:19
The G-19/23 seems to be the perfect fit for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/USMC/Pistol/Glock-TLR1.jpg

dialM4murder
19 August 2007, 13:31
That looks awesome. Cant wait to get mine. I currently also have a SigPro 2022, and a M&P, both in 9mm. :cool:

ETA: Im also a big TLR-1/2 fan as well. Those are great lights.

m24shooter
19 August 2007, 15:39
I really liked mine. The only problem I had was it breaking the trigger pin. It broke two for some reason (this was a really old one, I think I sold it to a friend in '96), and I've never had the same problem from any others.
To echo what Stick said about the 9, I recently redicsovered the model 17, and will probably pick up another 19 now that reliable 9mm loads are out.

306FTW
1 September 2007, 12:04
I love the 19. I have a 17 but one of my bud's has a 19 and it's a blast. I like the small package while still allowing for hi-cap capabilities. Not to mention it's a Glock...easy to maintain and reliable as hell. It took me a very long time to get used to and comfortable shooting w/ it but it's never failed me and the practice is paying off. I really wanna pick up a 26 however.

ETA: Stick...that one w/ the casings...simply beautiful!

Fireman1291
6 September 2007, 14:13
The G19 is great. Mine has the ext slide stop, grip plug, mep night sights, 3.5lb connector and .25cent trigger job. The gun is absolute perfection. I shoot and carry it alot. To not own a G19 is a sin-Adam

Lumpy196
23 September 2007, 22:40
The G19 is The Thinking Man's glock. If you're going to only have one, it'd be the G19 in my opinion.

Its compact without sacrificing handling or capacity. If you compare it to some of the other full size 9mm's out there with a 15 round capacity, you can see its advantages. This also aids in its ability to conceal. Also, many people find the grip of the the G19 more comfortable than the full size guns. Its also 9mm. Most people dont want to hear it, but the Glock was designed around the 9mm, and not suprisingly, the 9mm Glocks are the most reliable and durable of all the models. Add to that that 9mm ammunition is often cheap and plentiful compared to other calibers. This means more practice. Its also has very mild recoil, which means female shooters or those with less hand strength can often enjoy shooting them effectively as well.

All this from a die-hard 1911 fan [BD]

RyanS
24 September 2007, 10:46
I have to get a 19 again. I've tried so hard to live life without one...but why? I can offer no explanation.

clasky
6 October 2007, 19:06
There are no cons to this weapon that come to mind. I was issued one in the IDF and, while I never fired it in anger, I knew that it wouldn't let me down if I needed it.

Canonshooter
13 October 2007, 16:19
To echo what Stick said about the 9, I recently redicsovered the model 17, and will probably pick up another 19 now that reliable 9mm loads are out.

What loads are you using? I'm currently carrying GOLDEN SABRE 9MM +P 124 GR JHP in my 17, and using CCI BLAZER 124 TMJ as my practice/match loads.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/g17c-2.jpg

Stickman
13 October 2007, 16:24
What loads are you using? I'm currently carrying GOLDEN SABRE 9MM +P 124 GR JHP in my 17, and using CCI BLAZER 124 TMJ as my practice/match loads.

The 9mm GS are good rounds. Are you using the bonded or non-bonded variants?

Canonshooter
13 October 2007, 16:55
The 9mm GS are good rounds. Are you using the bonded or non-bonded variants?

I'm not sure which version I currently have. The box has the product code GS9MMD, which I'm certain dosen't tell us much. IIRC, I purchased them a few years ago. Any other way to tell?

Stickman
13 October 2007, 22:17
It would say bonded in the yellow section on the front of the box, and there would be a "B" in the coding. If you aren't shooting into sheetmetal or windshields, its not a big deal. Its still very high quality ammo.

Canonshooter
14 October 2007, 05:03
It would say bonded in the yellow section on the front of the box, and there would be a "B" in the coding.

OK, thanks! I need to order some more so I will look for the bonded version.

TravisM.1
14 October 2007, 21:56
Of all the Glocks, the G19 is my favorite. Its big enough to hold 16 rounds and fit my hands, and small enough to conceal.

Lancelot
27 October 2007, 19:23
I carried my 19 as my off duty gun, and at times a working gun. My current department will not allow me a 9mm, but if they would, I'd still be carrying my 19. Get one, and stock up on magazines while you can. You won't regret it.

I put a Vickers Tactial / Tango Down magazine release in mine, and other then that, its bone stock. I've used it as a carry gun, and loaned it to students in classes. Its a great all around gun.

NvrenufRR
7 November 2007, 10:45
I lvoe all my Glocks.
Don't get me wrong I used to be a Glock hater, But, after being bored and not finding anything else new to buy, I decided to buy one for the hell of it.
Started with a 23 Gen3, Had tons of fun blasting ammo through it, shooting various COF quite well and accurately despite what some think. The pistol was even in a motorcycle accident on a freeway with me, never had ANY type of failure.
I have a 19 and 2 -23's now, The 19 works great with anything you run through it, as long and as hard as you can, same for the 23's.
Me personally, I bought the 3.5lb connector and other parts like slide stop and what not, but never felt an urge to install them. The ONLY thing I ever put in it were Meprolight NS & a Tungsten Captive guide rod with an ISMI spring, this made a felt difference for recoil, muzzle flip,and follow up, others testing the different types of guide rods side by side with me noticed it also.
Buy lots of mags and lots of ammo and just shoot it.

longtalltechsan
13 November 2007, 16:59
I started shooting a 19 (was a friend's). I sold my XD9 and bought a G23. I absolutely love that gun. It feels so good in my hands. I will definitely be buying more Glocks, whether it is a 27 or perhaps a 22.

m24shooter
23 November 2007, 10:25

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/g17c-2.jpg
GDHP 124 +Ps.

guam50
24 November 2007, 13:58
I've used my G19 on duty for many years without fail. Now adays, my department has switched to the G22 (patrol), 23 (plain clothes) & 21 (SWAT). I carry the G23 but still love my G19 and will not give it up.

carbinero
26 November 2007, 04:33
I've been planning to switch to a G19/26 for a while, and the 26 came first. I was surprised and disappointed that, although there were no problems with the standard mags, about a hundred rounds into our session it FTF repeatedly from both 33 round mags. (I field stripped, wiped down, and lightly oiled the 26beforehand). The mags continued to work fine in my KelTec 9mm carbine. Anyone heard of this happening with the G19? If so, I'll sell those mags with the carbine.

plom
10 December 2007, 05:03
I bough one and my wife took it from me so I had to find another one. I have a lot of pistols, but if I had to keep one, it would be my glock 19.
It's a compact simple pistol, it's reliable and strong, easy to shoot well, accurate. Mags are cheap, spare parts too, esay to store everywhere. I made a "survival box" with few spare parts, mags and ammo for almost no $. For me the glock 19 is a paradox because it's a ugly pistol, but still the only one I would keep if I had to keep only one. Mine loves the remington golden saber +p 124 grs.

Zombie
22 December 2007, 17:11
It's small enough to conceal without too many problems yet large enough to still use.

If I had to only have one handgun, it would be the 19.

m24shooter
22 December 2007, 17:40
It's small enough to conceal without too many problems yet large enough to still use.

If I had to only have one handgun, it would be the 19.
I'm feeling more and more like that. I think I need to get another 19.

eddymunster
28 December 2007, 12:15
I used to carry a G30 until I handled the 19. The 30 now sits in the safe and the G19 is my go to. Fits like a glove, 9mm ammo is less costly, and it's COOL! No negatives that I have found.[:D]

JAYTEAM
11 February 2008, 11:54
I like my G19 well enough that I have transitioned away from carrying a full size 1911. That is saying a lot for me. I have me green/yellow Meprolight equipped G19 with me almost 24/7. I run 147gr Winchester Ranger as my carry ammo. It seems to work well for me, YMMV.

Jay

tac40
31 March 2008, 13:43
My old Glock 19, it just keeps on working.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/bshnt2015/IMG_2650.jpg

103m 95g
1 April 2008, 03:08
ok guys, because of this thread I am actively seeking a III gen 19 to purchase. new or used, the question is what are the prices you are seeing in your area, so I can compare them to what i'm seeing locally, new or used doesnot matter.

currently have a gen II 17 and took out last week for the first time since purchasing it 8 years ago, paid $350, from another deputy that was short on money.

NoBody
1 April 2008, 04:41
Gen III Glock 19 with factory sights run around $499 in Fayetteville, NC.

Gunbroker.com sells them for a bit less, but when you factor shipping and the transfer fee....

BRD Jerm
1 April 2008, 21:09
i had one for years and had to get rid of it in a pinch,a few years back.

getting ready to pick up another before summer,to go back to as my CC pistol.

i can think of prettier guns and triggers i like better...

but the price+reliability+concealability+capacity = just cant be beat.

Hojutsu
5 April 2008, 19:18
I have heard the G19 referred to as the "AK47 of Pistols". I'm not an AK fan, so really don't know if that is a compliment. :D

The G19 is small enough to conceal easily, but is still a "full size" pistol.

They work right out of the box. Buy it, load it and shoot it.

They are reasonably priced. For what other defensive oriented pistols cost and cost to get working properly, you can have two G19s . . . and probably some ammunition for both as well. as an example, the last two G19s I bought for $400 (good guy price) and in the same store the last Kimber I bought was $850, then I spent a couple hundred on various parts.

One of my G19s has over 100,000 rounds through it and I still use it. It's gone through a few recoil spring assemblies, but still works like new. My brother has requested that I will that pistol to him and he will in turn see that my nephew gets it when he is gone.

Hard to beat that kind of pistol

SuperDave
24 April 2008, 13:34
I have heard the G19 referred to as the "AK47 of Pistols". I'm not an AK fan, so really don't know if that is a compliment. :D

Maybe it's because we started to issue them to Iraqi Police...[:)] Now all we need is a wood grain Glock 19.

103m 95g
25 April 2008, 03:34
Aright boys I blame all of you for my being in the dog house.
j/k
Picked up a 19 today with special LE pricing came with three 15rn mags, then went to a second local shop and picked up 2 more mags.
I plan on adding night sights, but which type, Trijicon, mepro, or the truglow(fiberoptic/tritum combo), I'm leaning toward the mepros
what do you recomend for a concealed carry type holster(leather/plastic) and is it feasable to carry the 19 in an ankle rig as a backup. I wear Danner FT.Lewis boots on duty.
Pic's to follow

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DSCN1612.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DSCN1613.jpg

SHIHAN
25 April 2008, 12:06
I like the Mepros and have them on all of my Glocks. The G-19 wouldnt be my first choice for an ankle gun. I would rather have a G-26 in my pocket or IWB covered by your duty belt.

JAH-23
25 April 2008, 18:29
With the love that the 19 gets, I'm really considering switching my 23 over to the 19.

SHIHAN
25 April 2008, 20:16
With the love that the 19 gets, I'm really considering switching my 23 over to the 19.

Buy a drop in barrel and some mag followers.

gotm4
27 April 2008, 08:52
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/Glock19004.jpg

BRD Jerm
2 May 2008, 14:33
yeah,i dont think it would work in an ankle holster(maybe with some really baggy pants).i always carried mine IWB,it was nice and comfy.

103m 95g
11 July 2009, 12:02
Back to the top, after carring the G19 for a little over a yearand ~1500 rounds down range, I decided to give him a little sister. I picked this 26 up yesterday. now I'm looking into ankle rigs w/and w/o duty boots, IWB holsters.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DSCN1990-1.jpg

DogRanger
18 July 2009, 15:19
I have two 19s and a 26. The 26 gets most of the carry time, seems to conceal alittle better. I have a few other pistols also BUT if I could only have one it would without a doubt be the 19.I think this thread proves what a great pistol it is...

Creeky73
18 July 2009, 15:52
Glocks are fantastic firearms. I have a 17 and I had a 27, which I traded in on an XDm 40. The 27 was great too, very reliable and accurate, but it was just a bit too snappy in that small package for me. One thing I can't figure out though, and other Glock owners, please let me know if you have experienced this...I CONSTANTLY have people tell me how passionately they hate Glocks when they find out I own one, as if they feel they have the right to tell me my gun is a p.o.s. I haven't found any other gun that seems to have so much debate around it. I wouldn't trade my 17 for any other handgun at twice the price.

Army Chief
18 July 2009, 23:51
My own interest level in Glocks is still fairly low, but I know that many people seem to invest a lot of emotional capital in this question for some reason. Personally, I like them for what they are (cheap, reliable and uncomplicated), and dislike them for what they are not (monolithic, inelegant, blocky and poorly balanced -- at least in relative terms).

I suspect that the backlash against these pistols has much less to do with the G-series itself than it does with the people who have historically tended to go out and buy them. As originally conceived, the Glock was a brutish, simple, polymer-framed working tool that could be made cheaply and counted upon to function under any conditions (in other words, something akin to what the HK VP-70 was supposed to be, but never really was). The simple operation and low price quickly attracted a large following, but many of those who bought these pistols were quite honestly neophytes and know-nothings who read a brochure or a gun rag article, bought a pistol, and then began loudly espousing the virtues of "Glock Perfection."

Admittedly, many traditional shooters didn't care much for polymer to begin with, but from my vantage point, it was the attitudes of those who "loved" anything with a square G on it that really began to divide the camp. It isn't that they were wrong in much of what they were saying, but the debate seemed to be a lot less-focused on the technical merits of Gaston Glock's design than upon folks wanting to feel good about their purchase decisions. Not surprisingly, the debates turned to the subjective and irrational. Even today, some AR-related discussion boards are rife with people who apply the same kind of thinking to carbines.

In the years since all of this foolishness began, we've seen enough fielding in professional circles to recognize that the Glock is indeed a benchmark design that performs as advertised. It isn't pretty, doesn't inspire us with graceful lines, and it doesn't feel the same in the hand as a BHP, 1911 or other traditional automatic. It just gets the job done. What we're left with is a lot of subjective hyperbole based upon preferences and emotions. For this reason, if a fellow shooter tells you that he loathes all-things-Glock, nine times out of 10 I would wager that what he is really telling you is that he is ambivalent about the pistol, but sick-to-death of dealing with Glockophiles.

AC

Stickman
19 July 2009, 09:17
I CONSTANTLY have people tell me how passionately they hate Glocks when they find out I own one, as if they feel they have the right to tell me my gun is a p.o.s.

Its easy to ask people why, and gauge their responses.

For the people who start out with "Plastic is for....", you know quickly that you are dealing with someone who has very little knowledge about Glocks or modern firearms.

The guys who complain about the feel of the grip, thats a personal issue, there are going to be other weapons that don't fit them well either.

Complaints about the Glock being unreliable, or lacking in durability mean you are talking to a clownfish. You wouldn't waste your time arguing with a fish in a tank, don't waste it with these people either.

Complaints based around "I heard......", or "My buddy told me...." equal more clownfish comments. They won't listen to you regardless of what you say.

Guys that dislike the trigger will often compare the Glock to their 1911, and yes, the 1911 trigger is much nicer. No arguments from anyone in their right mind there. However, the Glock costs less, is more reliable, feeds a broader variety of ammo, holds more rounds, doesn't need to be lubed heavy, and doesn't need the TLC that a 1911 does. Its a balancing act, and the look, feel and trigger of the 1911 are in a class of their own. The bigger question is whether its worth it after all things are weighed equally, and the overall intent of the weapon is factored in.

Army Chief
19 July 2009, 10:19
I like the way you put that, Stick.

I am a self-confessed high-end 1911 guy, but I wouldn't pretend that Old Slabsides is the superior weapon in the hands of the average shooter. I appreciate it for what it is, what can be done with it, and the interface it delivers; even so, the 1911 has a learning curve to it that reaches far beyond the manual of arms. Lubrication, tuning and feeding are all mandatory topics, and casual shooters expecting to reap the benefits of the 1911 in a sub-$1,000 configuration are surely going to taste disappointment.

By way of contrast, the Glock avoids all of these pitfalls for a price that is half that of a competent 1911. It doesn't deliver the same experience in the qualitative sense, but the last I checked, the purpose of a defensive handgun was not to delight the operator so much as it was to potentially ventilate an adversary. I've had a G19 on my watch list for a few years, quite honestly, and will surely take the plunge sooner or later.

Different applications, different tools ... but the Glock is unquestionably one heck of a tool.

AC

Cameron
19 July 2009, 12:54
I like 'em both....

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/cameron_personal/Glocks/Glock19s01.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/cameron_personal/Handguns/080719Colts03.jpg

As an anomalous aside, the two Colt have many more rounds and less failures than the two Glock 19s. Funny how things work like that. [wow]

Cameron

cmoore
20 July 2009, 00:13
I've had my G17 since 1985. Serial # starts with "CX" (yeah it's a low number). Carried it on duty for quite awhile until we went to Glock .40's, but now I'm holstering a Springfield 1911.

I have zero complaints about that (Glock) weapon system. It's one of the "house guns" for my wife and she likes it too. I like the "S" trigger springs rather than the NY's, but that's just personal preference.

Regards...

DBake
13 September 2009, 23:05
15 rounds of 9mm +P+ in a concealable package is why I tend to carry the Glock 19 as my primary offduty weapon. My Glocks, as well as the Glocks of other officers and departments that I've worked with have had great things to say about the 9mm Glock series.

With the advent of new duty/ hollow point ammo, I can't help but wonder if the 9mm Glocks will make a strong come back as a general issue police duty weapon.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Handguns/IMG_2323%20Stick.jpg

Two years later, have they made a come back in your opinion?

sadmin
14 September 2009, 19:41
Tuesday, 21 April 2009
"With the 2009 fiscal year in the books, handgun manufacturer GLOCK, Inc. has announced a 36% increase in pistol sales over 2008 sales. Coming off of 5 consecutive years of sustained growth, the company that focuses exclusively on semi-automatic handguns for commercial, law enforcement and federal/military sales is preparing for another strong year in FY 2010. "

I would venture to say yes.

DBake
14 September 2009, 22:29
Tuesday, 21 April 2009
"With the 2009 fiscal year in the books, handgun manufacturer GLOCK, Inc. has announced a 36% increase in pistol sales over 2008 sales. Coming off of 5 consecutive years of sustained growth, the company that focuses exclusively on semi-automatic handguns for commercial, law enforcement and federal/military sales is preparing for another strong year in FY 2010. "

I would venture to say yes.

The question was directed at 9mm making a come back due to ammo technology, not total gun sales.

cmoore
14 September 2009, 23:27
I've had my G17 since 1985....oh yeah it's old skool....used it on-duty for quite awhile before we swapped to Glock .40's.

I like the 19, but it never fit right in my pudgy hands...LOL...now the 17 is the wife's go-to rig at home, and I'm strapping a 1911 on at work. I'd like to get a new 17 in OD just to have a newer model. As an armorer, they are easy to work on too...