PDA

View Full Version : The Preventative Maintenance Thread

aklaunch
31 October 2013, 19:41
I am hoping to make a very informative, educational thread here.

I will continue to post ideas i have learned.

Please feel free to add to this thread. I am hoping it will stay relatively dry and to the point.

Buffer springs:

New rifle buffer springs should be 12.75" long and should be replaced prior to shrinking to 12"

New carbine springs should be around 10.5" long and should be replaced prior to shrinking to 10"

Gas rings could be replaced every 5,000 rounds, but will likely last much longer if used until failure.

aklaunch
3 November 2013, 21:57
The military schedule for bolt and barrel change is 7,500 rounds.

This must assume that there full auto fire is much more strenuous than our normal semi auto fire.

UWone77
4 November 2013, 01:50
The military schedule for bolt and barrel change is 7,500 rounds.

This must assume that there full auto fire is much more strenuous than our normal semi auto fire.

I could see replacing a bolt at 7500 rounds, but seems like you could get 3-4x more out of the life out of a barrel.

Nuclear_Arms
18 November 2013, 19:36
I could see replacing a bolt at 7500 rounds, but seems like you could get 3-4x more out of the life out of a barrel.

Probably, but doesn't that also depend on firing schedule?

I know the rather legendary story of Pat Rogers' filthy 14. But he did say accuracy started falling off, something that the precision oriented crowd wouldn't abide by. Either way, by the time a serious shooter wears out a barrel to require replacement, they've spent more on ammo by an order of magnitude than a new barrel would cost.

Does anyone know if the rifle length spring lengths are true for springs running in A5 buffer tubes just as much as rifle buffer tubes?