PDA

View Full Version : Which Buffer Spring?

GOST
4 November 2013, 08:09
The current build I'm putting together has a BCM 14.5" mid length barrel, H buffer and SFMB-556. I was thinking about trying either the Sprinco white or blue spring. Which spring do you recommend, or is their a better spring choice?

Hmac
4 November 2013, 09:22
I use the blue. I perceive that the advantage is longevity rather than performance, but I can't say that I've ever really worn out a standard buffer spring.

UWone77
4 November 2013, 14:41
I just built a 14.5 BCM middy barrel with a pinned SFMB-556 and H Buffer. The standard springs seem to work fine. I have used the blue before, but I agree with Hmac. I believe the advantage is longevity not performance.

John Moses
6 November 2013, 22:48
Hi Guys. I have 2 set-ups that are 14.5 Middy, Battlecomp, a 14.5" Carbine with a BCM MOD 1, and and I run the ST-2 Spikes Buffer and Stainless spring in the Carbine and the Middy with no problems. I have shot XM193 , Steel, and some PMC that tends to be a little weak. Without pulling charts ate, I will say that sometimes it depends on the gas port diameter, as I have seen them vary somewhat to compensate for over/under gassing. I only say this because all 14.5" middy's and Carbines are not created equal. I would first verify with the manufacturer to see what the Gas port size is or measure it. To the original poster, I would suggest an H buffer and the White Springco if that is what you want to use. The Springco is said to last 3-4 times longer, but I have not tried it personally. I have done some research on the matter and that combo works well from others I shoot with. I assume by "H buffer" you mean a 3.8oz Buffer......

I have found that too many times people overthink the buffer set-up on standard length barrel guns, and more times than not the standard CAR or H buffer works fine. Start there and see how it runs. My money says you will have no issues. If you get too heavy you can start short stroking the gun. Too light you can get carrier bounce. Other things to consider is ammo selection. Some guys prefer a heavier buffer for steel , when this can be corrected by removing the insert or o-ring on your extractor (but thats another topic)

Go H buffer and a White spring, and go shoot that BCM....they make excellent product...

KL

niftyvt
7 November 2013, 03:03
I use the chrome silicon spring from Damage Industries in both my carbine length m&p and my mid length BCM. Both also have H buffers. 750+k cycle life. . . yes please [:D] They are buy one get one free right now too. [BD]