PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Plunge

Computalotapus
11 November 2013, 05:36
Been thinking about reloading for awhile and I have decided I want to do it. So after a day at the range on the way home stopped at the local mega store and looked at reloading equipment. Man do I feel like a 6th grader thrown into college algebra. So much stuff and to be honest I have no clue what any of it is. I was told to get into reloading look to spend at least $1100 on the hardware to reload.

For now I just want to reload 5.56 and 9mm. And I just want to reload for range shooting and running the new action carbine/pistol course. The longest distance I will be shooting is 100 yards so I am not looking to make sub MOA groups. Maybe later down the road I will try my hand at that but I just want to get into.

I have looked at Dillion, RCBS, and Lyman reload equipment. What I would like is maybe a starter kit something that comes with everything I need to start reloading one particular caliber and then buy dies for the other. I am sitting on about 1.5k brass for 5.56 and about 150 rounds of 9mm as of right now. Once I get to over 1k brass of 9mm is probably when I will buy the equipment to start reloading.

Does anyone know a good source for looking for a complete kit like I mentioned. Or should I just piece it together?

Judicator
11 November 2013, 14:31
I run the Hornady. Dillon makes a great product tho(of course you'll pay for it). The guy that teaches my reloading class doesn't like RCBS presses, but that's all personal preferences. Hornady has the nice lock-n-load bushings that allow you to change all your dies quickly without having to worry about messing up your settings.
Dies are all universal, I know if you get a progressive press you WILL end up with a single station press too.

As for your original question I haven't seen a kit. It's usually just pieced together. Starting list off the top of my head:
Press
Dies
Shell holder/plate
Tumbler
Chamfer/deburring tool
Case trimmer
Caliper
Scale for measuring your powder weights

Posted while my co-worker is getting electrocuted.

FortTom
11 November 2013, 15:38
I started in the late 70's, buying the basics. Lyman, and other's reloading manuals nearly all had a wealth of information concerning reloading, how-to's and the equipment needed. I pieced my original set up together from different companies. Over the years I still do this, because I'll try a new (to me) piece of equipment, and prefer it over something else. I was in Barnes and Nobles the other day, and I think they had a book called "ABC''s" of reloading. If you don't have a friend to walk you through all the steps, and warn you what can go wrong, I'd definetly read as much material as possible, before "taking a plunge". It's not rocket science, but it does take a while to learn what works and what doesn't, so you might as well make the learning phase be as fun as possible, too. I'm self taught, and over the years have made a mistake or two, but I've always had fun with it.

FT

Computalotapus
11 November 2013, 16:29
Thanks guys. My wife does a lot of Chamber of Commerce meetings and she introduced me to a local business that I had no clue that was even in town. The guy runs a company called Raining Brass and they focus on teaching CCW and basic firearms defense. The guy also happens to do all of his own reloading so he has invited me over to teach me what I don't know. He doesn't know it yet but he has his hands full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

UWone77
11 November 2013, 17:00
I'm probably a few years away from reloading due to space, but I'm looking forward to the progression of this thread.

Computalotapus
11 November 2013, 17:18
I'm probably a few years away from reloading due to space, but I'm looking forward to the progression of this thread.

I will be heading over to his place this weekend hopefully. I will try and snap some pictures of his layout and take some notes. Meanwhile I grabbed a Hodgdon Basic Reloading Manual for some light reading.

mustangfreek
12 November 2013, 02:22
I dont have my own setup, but have been around reloading since i was a kid with my old man.

For what amount he and i shoots in pistol calibers we use a Lee turret press.If your really cooking a 100-150 cases can be loaded an hour if your on it.. For rifle rounds we just a Lee single stage, although nice and strong the single stage lacks the speed of the bigger presses, mostly they are just used for more precise rifle loads. And although i load 223 on it and it is slow , but i am in no hurry and like to make sure every case gets equal powder etc..

I have found reloading a fun thing to do while not being able too shoot.

Computalotapus
19 November 2013, 05:45
Well I think I am going to go with a Lyman T-Mag Turret Expert Deluxe set and just pick up an extra T-Mag turret so I have one for 5.56 and one for 9mm die sets. It's not a progressive press but it isn't single either.

This gets me started and comes with a lot of extras all in one set. The way I look at it is that if I upgrade I can always turn the Lyman press into a precision loading station. My range dates are few and far between ( 1 weekend a month ). I think in 3 weeks I should be able to reload 500 5.56 and 500 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

tappedandtagged
15 December 2013, 11:56
I went with a basic single stage Lee press kit. I load .223, 38/357, 44 mag, 243, 30-30 and 270 with it. If doing bulk, the turret press will be helpful, but I recommend using it as a single stage press for a while until you get a hang of it and have confidence in your equipment and abilities.

Even when loading in bulk, I weigh every 10th round and visually inspect the powder level on ALL of them before seating the bullets.

Computalotapus
15 December 2013, 12:50
I went with a basic single stage Lee press kit. I load .223, 38/357, 44 mag, 243, 30-30 and 270 with it. If doing bulk, the turret press will be helpful, but I recommend using it as a single stage press for a while until you get a hang of it and have confidence in your equipment and abilities.

Even when loading in bulk, I weigh every 10th round and visually inspect the powder level on ALL of them before seating the bullets.

Yeah the idea for now is to hand seat primers, will reload in stages.. flare, powder, seat bullet.. I think I will weight all the powder in the beginning just to make sure it stays consistent. After I feel confident with it I will spot check like what you are doing. And I will do it in sets of 25 I think. I gotta make a cartridge holder thinking of making it our of a piece of 2x4 and drill out 25 slots that will hold the cartridges that I will be working with.

FortTom
15 December 2013, 13:49
I'd like to add one more thing, here. "Back in the day", after learning how to reload, and having all the necessary equipment, and all the powder, brass, primers and bullets you could ever imagine needing, was plentiful, for years, I never, ever bought ammo, except for my carry weapon(s), and sometimes I just loaded for them. I had a .416 Rigby, a .375 H&H, that I bought ammo for, just to chronograph, and get the harder to find (locally) brass. (These were pre-internet, everything at your disposal), so most stuff was ordered by phone, or mail.

The point I'm trying to make, is, that although I have more reloading equipment than I can ever use, primers, brass and powder are a bitch to find. Shooting 5.56 or the likes, where you're going to shoot 30 rounds in a couple of minutes or less, just doesn't pay, like it did when everything was available. So all you're really saving on is the brass, due to powder, primers and bullets being hard to find (around here, anyway) and expensive, well you can save a little. The biggest advantage is that you can "custom tailor" a load for one specific rifle to be as accurate and fast as possible.

Shooting 9mm thru .45ACP is still economically feasible, but not so much as it used to be.

If you shoot something like a .41 Mag, in my opinion a much better hunting round than the .44mag, well a box of .41 mag, not being so popular, is as expensive as hell and calibers like that will definitely save you bucks.

Lastly, I disagree that you have to spend $1100 bucks to get enough gear to get started. You can also buy a lot of stuff, in nearly new condition, cheaply, because a lot people dive in head long, and decide, it's not for them, or not worth it.

I used to do it for the pure love of doing it, and especially working up specific rounds for specific guns. Those were hunting guns, that IMO couldn't put 3 shots on a dime at 100 yards, weren't worthy. Here at WEVO, except for the guy's with the varmit guns, or .308's suited for sniper/long range duty, aren't worried about "anal" accuracy out of our carbines and SBR's.

So, keep those things in mind, it will take a LOT of reloads to pay you back for your 1100 bucks worth of equipment.

It is relaxing, and you need to be in an area where there are little or no distractions, and you can get into a "zone" and pump out a lot of ammo, but if your in it for economics, at today's availability, driving the prices sky high, like I said you'll have to load a lot of ammo to pay yourself back.

I'd say the biggest exception to all of this, is that if your a competition shooter where you're going to shoot a boat load of ammo over a two day comp, then you'll recoup your costs and save money pretty darned fast.

Other than that, I say have fun. It's a great hobby, so enjoy.

FT

Computalotapus
16 December 2013, 07:54
I'd like to add one more thing, here. "Back in the day", after learning how to reload, and having all the necessary equipment, and all the powder, brass, primers and bullets you could ever imagine needing, was plentiful, for years, I never, ever bought ammo, except for my carry weapon(s), and sometimes I just loaded for them. I had a .416 Rigby, a .375 H&H, that I bought ammo for, just to chronograph, and get the harder to find (locally) brass. (These were pre-internet, everything at your disposal), so most stuff was ordered by phone, or mail.

The point I'm trying to make, is, that although I have more reloading equipment than I can ever use, primers, brass and powder are a bitch to find. Shooting 5.56 or the likes, where you're going to shoot 30 rounds in a couple of minutes or less, just doesn't pay, like it did when everything was available. So all you're really saving on is the brass, due to powder, primers and bullets being hard to find (around here, anyway) and expensive, well you can save a little. The biggest advantage is that you can "custom tailor" a load for one specific rifle to be as accurate and fast as possible.

Shooting 9mm thru .45ACP is still economically feasible, but not so much as it used to be.

If you shoot something like a .41 Mag, in my opinion a much better hunting round than the .44mag, well a box of .41 mag, not being so popular, is as expensive as hell and calibers like that will definitely save you bucks.

Lastly, I disagree that you have to spend $1100 bucks to get enough gear to get started. You can also buy a lot of stuff, in nearly new condition, cheaply, because a lot people dive in head long, and decide, it's not for them, or not worth it.

I used to do it for the pure love of doing it, and especially working up specific rounds for specific guns. Those were hunting guns, that IMO couldn't put 3 shots on a dime at 100 yards, weren't worthy. Here at WEVO, except for the guy's with the varmit guns, or .308's suited for sniper/long range duty, aren't worried about "anal" accuracy out of our carbines and SBR's.

So, keep those things in mind, it will take a LOT of reloads to pay you back for your 1100 bucks worth of equipment.

It is relaxing, and you need to be in an area where there are little or no distractions, and you can get into a "zone" and pump out a lot of ammo, but if your in it for economics, at today's availability, driving the prices sky high, like I said you'll have to load a lot of ammo to pay yourself back.

I'd say the biggest exception to all of this, is that if your a competition shooter where you're going to shoot a boat load of ammo over a two day comp, then you'll recoup your costs and save money pretty darned fast.

Other than that, I say have fun. It's a great hobby, so enjoy.

FT

FT when I said $1100 I was talking about everything to include a base supply of brass/powder/primer/bullets ( 9mm and .223 ). I haven't started competition shooting but this coming spring I want to start getting into some 2 Gun locally. I have a wife and 2 kids that are just now getting into shooting as well, and the more I can take them to the range and the more time they get on the weapon systems the better they are getting. I have done the math and the savings are not huge but I am looking for a hobby and figured reloading would keep me from blowing a ton of money on something else ( photography ) plus reloading supports my main hobby which is shooting. There is a local league here that does distance shooting with .223 (AR Platform) so I might try and get anal retentive about some load and try my hand at that.. but that means building a .223 for distance first.

Really it boils down to what do I think my time is worth. I value my time because it is time I could be spending with my wife and kids. But if I can get them involved and teach them it is a skill set that will last them a lifetime and it is something we can do together. And that is what makes it worth more to me than buying ammo off the shelf.

tappedandtagged
16 December 2013, 19:57
Yeah the idea for now is to hand seat primers, will reload in stages.. flare, powder, seat bullet.. I think I will weight all the powder in the beginning just to make sure it stays consistent. After I feel confident with it I will spot check like what you are doing. And I will do it in sets of 25 I think. I gotta make a cartridge holder thinking of making it our of a piece of 2x4 and drill out 25 slots that will hold the cartridges that I will be working with.

Use wood bits. Regular drill bits will leave the hole in the block dome shaped at the bottom. Use a 2x6 and you can likely make it square and still fit the 25 you want. My wood loading block is 10x10 and holds 100. I weight check the first powder dump of each row.

Also, check out this book. http://www.amazon.com/The-ABCs-Of-Reloading-Definitive/dp/1440213968

mustangfreek
17 December 2013, 02:11
I just made some blocks and forstner bits are what you want, they leave a nice clean hole and create a flat bottom..

FortTom
3 January 2014, 19:43
FT when I said $1100 I was talking about everything to include a base supply of brass/powder/primer/bullets ( 9mm and .223 ). I haven't started competition shooting but this coming spring I want to start getting into some 2 Gun locally. I have a wife and 2 kids that are just now getting into shooting as well, and the more I can take them to the range and the more time they get on the weapon systems the better they are getting. I have done the math and the savings are not huge but I am looking for a hobby and figured reloading would keep me from blowing a ton of money on something else ( photography ) plus reloading supports my main hobby which is shooting. There is a local league here that does distance shooting with .223 (AR Platform) so I might try and get anal retentive about some load and try my hand at that.. but that means building a .223 for distance first.

Really it boils down to what do I think my time is worth. I value my time because it is time I could be spending with my wife and kids. But if I can get them involved and teach them it is a skill set that will last them a lifetime and it is something we can do together. And that is what makes it worth more to me than buying ammo off the shelf.

Got you. If you can get the wife and kids involved, it'll be worth every penny you spend, saving money or not. And, the more advanced you get, you'll want a chronograph if you don't have one, the more gear you'll want, and the more challenging it will be for all of you.... You can't put a price on that..

Good Luck and have fun,

FT.

dgod
6 January 2014, 06:33
I run the Hornady. Dillon makes a great product tho(of course you'll pay for it). The guy that teaches my reloading class doesn't like RCBS presses, but that's all personal preferences. Hornady has the nice lock-n-load bushings that allow you to change all your dies quickly without having to worry about messing up your settings.
Dies are all universal, I know if you get a progressive press you WILL end up with a single station press too.

As for your original question I haven't seen a kit. It's usually just pieced together. Starting list off the top of my head:
Press
Dies
Shell holder/plate
Tumbler
Chamfer/deburring tool
Case trimmer
Caliper
Scale for measuring your powder weights

Posted while my co-worker is getting electrocuted.

I use the Rockchucker from RCBS, Complete kit for less than $400, I also have a Square Deal from Dillon (Lifetime Warranty), superb but for Pistol calibers only.

Any Press will get it done, stay with one of the Name Brands, RCBS, Dillon, Hornady, or Lee. Start with a Single Stage, then after a lot of experience, consider a Progressive. No point in spending $1K Plus, to see if you want to continue. Go with the single stage press, then see what develops.

Good Luck
Dan

mustangfreek
27 April 2014, 02:46
Reviving this for you for some motivation...or whatever....went over to my old mans. Where i reload and dialed in my new hornady powder measure, which works awesome..made up about 400 55gr plinking loads wiithin a few hours, all while bs'ing with my dad, bench is a little small as this was about 250 of them

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10268516_1400071233605929_741476018470204747_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/v/t1.0-9/10294488_1400071970272522_3437060564083964989_n.jp g?oh=8c27bf685e621a715d477baf268fbb0f&oe=53BFD1B4&__gda__=1406072545_c5270bbad2450d0fec11bae2aef3938 7

Computalotapus
27 April 2014, 07:01
That's awesome. Still have my eye set on a Lyman's Rotary Press. Just to many projects going on now.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

Soisauss
12 May 2014, 23:02
Well then, this thread needs to be subbed!! I too have been thinking about reloading. Shooting 30-06 gets a tad bit more expensive than shooting .223. I've been doing lots of reading and even watching hickok45 reloading videos and explanation, boy, there's a lot more to it than I thought. However, we all have to start somewhere, right?

It'll be a bit before I start start reloading (space limitation), but have been collecting brass since I was able to pull the trigger.

GOST
13 May 2014, 05:16
MustangFreak thats a sweet looking setup.

mustangfreek
13 May 2014, 08:28

Haha..not much..just the basics really, self built load blocks,DIY PM stand, single stage..lol...but it gets it done and i can get in a rythym and cook them out pretty fast..

Ride4frnt
13 May 2014, 10:33
Have nearly everything I need to get going except for the actual bench, which my father and I will build. Have a Dillon XL650 we will be using to mass produce plinking ammo, but for the precision stuff I'm gonna pick up a single stage so I can get more precise measurements, etc. looking forward to following this thread.

mustangfreek
13 May 2014, 11:10

Now that i look at the picture, that was what exactly one pound of AA2230 powder and 55gr hornaday fmj's..Just shy of 300..

GaSwamper
22 May 2014, 20:06
Reloading can be so much more than economics. I used to love to do the simple things for my dad when I was a kid like lube the caseings and knock out primers. Since its a little simpler he used to put me on the shot shell press with a bucket of hulls and let me go to town with it during some of his reloading sessions on the rifle press. Now we still load together though I'm much more involved these days working up my own loads like the 130gr partitions I'm working up for my 6.8 and I still go to him for advise. Nothing like taking a deer with a custom round you personally put together, very satisfying. It's a skill every hunter/shooter should learn.

MO_AR
25 September 2014, 22:20
I got the Lee breech lock hand press and like it so far