PDA

View Full Version : What trigger to upgrade with?

CAPT KIRK
1 August 2008, 10:36
Ok... On good advice from those here and supporting research of my own, I am getting a NOVESKE N4 LoProfile. This will be my first top of the line "AR" platform and I am planning on fully equiping this one (Eotech/Surefire/Lasermax/BUIS Night Sights etc.).

First let me say to those unexperienced who might read this looking for the miracle cure....... NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING can outwiegh good solid training and practice, and lots of it. Remember, if you screw up, it will be YOU who gets held to answer for it, not the gun.

I have read many times that the Noveske trigger is typical military specs (rough) and want to upgrade to something high quality to assist with my high speed accuracy. Why you ask, because I am in Law Enforcement and if God forbid someone goes into one of the schools in my area and starts shooting, this gun is going with me. My objective is to shoot ACCURATE and FAST pairs ("head shots work") and with kids in the vicinity, misses are unacceptable. I want something as close to match grade as possible, without introducing potential liability issues or departmental concerns that would come with say a single stage trigger with a 3 lb. pull.

So tell me what you think... Thanx.

Stickman
1 August 2008, 14:09
My department has had several Active Shooter responses in the past couple years, and its something that I think as LEO we are going to see more and more of.

On the topic of triggers, I would say to shoot with the Noveske trigger first. I was just in the other room running dry fire drills with one of my Noveske carbines, and I don't find the trigger to be rough. That being said, if you are looking to drop in a cleaner trigger, I would go with the new nonadjustable Geissele 2 stage triggers. In addition, I would probably throw on a heavier spring to increase the trigger pull a tad, but thats just me.

The Geissele nonadjustable is a very clean, and very well made trigger assembly. I have thought about using mine for duty use several times, but always end up sticking with my basic trigger.

Paulo_Santos
1 August 2008, 16:11
I'm a big fan of accurate AR's, especially in LE where every bullet you shoot, you are liable for. One of the best ways to increase accuracy is a good trigger. But I'm not willing to give up reliability and just use any aftermarket trigger out there.

The Geiselle SSA trigger looks very promising and would be my top choice. I've been using the WOA tuned RRA and have around 10k through mine with no issues, and I would trust it for duty use, but some others might not think it is a good idea.

parabellum
1 August 2008, 17:45
i concur. i use standard mil-spec triggers, expect for a GA trigger in one rifle.

when the GA non-adjustable trigger hits the market I'll buy one of those to try out.

but the most important thing to me is reliability, and most aftermarket triggers just don't give you the same degree of reliability. the mil-spec triggers get the job done well enough most of the time.

TigerStripe
1 August 2008, 17:56
I'll throw out something less elegant. I have a Superior lower that happens to be in spec. I bought it not knowing who built it solely because it was a custom serial # lower. The trigger adjust screw that they have works, not a match trigger, but very smooth for using a standard LPK. Brownell's has a similar unit that uses a screw inside the pistol grip screw and I've heard it works. I would loctite the hell out of it though...

TS

Stickman
1 August 2008, 18:11
I can see getting departmental blessing on a Noveske carbine, but a Superior Arms lower might be a different story....

TigerStripe
1 August 2008, 21:01
I can see getting departmental blessing on a Noveske carbine, but a Superior Arms lower might be a different story....

Like I said, it happened to be in spec. I've done mag well tests, etc. It's not beautiful, but the trigger is nice. I don't have an upper for it yet, but it has been shot with one of my uppers on it.

The Brownell's thing is from a guy I know who bought a Charles Daly and did that to his. He's a Texas Department of Criminal Justice firearms instructor.

TS

CAPT KIRK
2 August 2008, 12:35
I will probably give the stock NOVESKE trigger a fair shot, not to mention if it works out, it is FREE with the rifle. The prices on some of those other triggers would buy a lot of other more usefull stuff like Mags and Ammo.

Failing that, I am going to keep the Chip McCormack unit in the back of my head because you can custom order it with a 4.5lb pull.

Stickman
2 August 2008, 15:17
Like I said, it happened to be in spec. I've done mag well tests, etc. It's not beautiful, but the trigger is nice. I don't have an upper for it yet, but it has been shot with one of my uppers on it.

The Brownell's thing is from a guy I know who bought a Charles Daly and did that to his. He's a Texas Department of Criminal Justice firearms instructor.

TS

You misunderstand my point I think.... Noveske is a known weapon with an outstanding reputation, and getting department approval for that weapon wouldn't or shouldn't be an issue. Using a Superior Arms lower introduces many more questions, and most departments are going to err on the side of caution (as they should).

Tell him congratulations, I'm state instructor as well, I hope it gets him something additional for his retirement (unlike me). [BD]

Stickman
2 August 2008, 15:20
I will probably give the stock NOVESKE trigger a fair shot, not to mention if it works out, it is FREE with the rifle. The prices on some of those other triggers would buy a lot of other more usefull stuff like Mags and Ammo.

Failing that, I am going to keep the Chip McCormack unit in the back of my head because you can custom order it with a 4.5lb pull.

Hard to go wrong with free, so I have to agree that its a good start. There are a couple tricks out there to clean up stock triggers without cutting, grinding, chopping springs or otherwise introducing problems into the trigger.

With an emphasis on reliability, I would be concerned with the CMC unit as a duty trigger. Too many complaints with it going TU. If you get a newer one, please let me know how it works out. I don't want to give bad input, but until I can get ahold of one myself, or have one of the guys I know do some form of testing, I have concerns (at least for a duty weapon).

TigerStripe
2 August 2008, 17:28
You misunderstand my point I think.... Noveske is a known weapon with an outstanding reputation, and getting department approval for that weapon wouldn't or shouldn't be an issue. Using a Superior Arms lower introduces many more questions, and most departments are going to err on the side of caution (as they should).

I agree. My point was that I bought the lower was because the serial number is Tigerstripe.

Tell him congratulations, I'm state instructor as well, I hope it gets him something additional for his retirement (unlike me). [BD]

He might get a plaque.... maybe... [BD]