PDA

View Full Version : Fireclean vs EWL vs Froglube

GOST
22 November 2013, 10:51
Getting ready to assemble some parts. I have no experience with any of the listed lubes. If you could pick any lube to use on a new build what would be your first pick?

tmidgett
22 November 2013, 12:25
Froglube. It doesn't stink, so I can clean my weapons while sitting on the couch and my wife doesn't bitch, and carbon runs from it like it was Chuck Norris. And if you really wanted to, it's safe to eat it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Sak007
22 November 2013, 13:46
+1 Froglube

Gator
22 November 2013, 13:57
Fireclean. It's been reported by many to work as advertised when used as directed. Less tedious application and reapplication too.

UDT
23 November 2013, 06:34
Froglube for me also.

Computalotapus
23 November 2013, 06:35
Froglube here as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

rob_s
23 November 2013, 11:09
Fireclean seems to be he latest tier 1 approved whale sperm.

I'm still using Slip 2000 products without a complaint. 30 wt at the bench, EWL at the range, and 725 and carbon cutter for the rare cleaning.

Their marketing also leaves me the least disgusted. Most everything that has come out after Slip has been marketed in pretty squirrelly ways IMO.

browcs
23 November 2013, 20:18
I still use Slip 2000 EWL, but have been using Froglube on my handguns as of late. Both have worked well for me. I have a bottle of Fireclean but have yet to use it.

Ratfink
24 November 2013, 04:19
I used froglube since it came out but in the last 6 months have switched over to fire clean and I like it better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

eldogg
24 November 2013, 05:36
I used froglube since it came out but in the last 6 months have switched over to fire clean and I like it better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

same here. it does make the internals "slick" , it's easier to use, and cleans up faster than FL. I still use frog lube on steel external parts to prevent corrosion.

0uTkAsT
29 November 2013, 20:02
I love FrogLube, haven't tried FireClean yet but I hear it is great also.

John Moses
9 December 2013, 18:02
I love Fireclean. Less of a hassle than Frog Lube, and it works excellent. It is also non toxic like Frog Lube. It is also cheaper because you don't need to use so much, and heat it up, then strip it off with a solvent and reaply etc etc.....Once you use it, you may never use anything else.

voodoo_man
9 December 2013, 18:02
I use fireclean to clean the guns and froglube to lube them.

Seems to work well.

0uTkAsT
12 December 2013, 15:46
I love Fireclean. Less of a hassle than Frog Lube, and it works excellent. It is also non toxic like Frog Lube. It is also cheaper because you don't need to use so much, and heat it up, then strip it off with a solvent and reaply etc etc.....Once you use it, you may never use anything else.

If applied correctly in the first place, you never need to "strip and reapply" FrogLube. I have ~6,500 rounds through one of my AR builds that has been treated, cleaned, and lubricated with FrogLube since day one and I have not needed to use any solvents anywhere and it is much cleaner and smoother running than past builds that I used petroleum based solvents and oils on. With that said, I'm not claiming it's any better than Fireclean (I haven't used that product), but your information about FrogLube usage is incorrect.

UWone77
12 December 2013, 15:57
I have a bunch of Froglube samples if someone wants to try it out.

mustangfreek
13 December 2013, 01:19

[:D]...I would take you up on that offer, have only used clp so far..

0uTkAsT
14 December 2013, 09:24
The samples are great for stuffing in your range bag. I'd take some but don't want to be greedy [BD]

ZKK
15 December 2013, 01:56
I've always had great success with EWL, never tried anything else. The EWL seems to stay put good and not gel up or harden to bad at Michigan winter temps. I was at a carbine class a few years back, horrid wind and about 0 windchill. Many had issues that day with their rifles. I can't remember the round count but it was over 400 for the afternoon, I had not one problem with my BCM.
I was curious how good frog lube works in cold temps.

GOST
15 December 2013, 04:03
For the price I'm leaning towards EWL for this build. I've always used FP10 in the past.

seaweed88
15 December 2013, 05:48

Like to try Froglube !

UWone77
16 December 2013, 03:12
Like to try Froglube !

Send me a PM with your address. I think I have 6 tubes or so.

browcs
17 December 2013, 17:25
I've finally gotten around to lubing a couple of my firearms with Fireclean; namely a BCM carbine and Walther PPQ 9mm....too few rounds down the tube yesterday to say one way or the other how I like it. I'm sure I'll be as happy as others are given some more time using it.

thizzcat56
1 January 2014, 16:59

Do you still have some samples?? I've been wanting to try out frog lube for a while now haha

UWone77
1 January 2014, 18:08
Do you still have some samples?? I've been wanting to try out frog lube for a while now haha

PM me your address... I finally got the others out that people requested. No guarantees when I'll make it to the post office though.

chalasmaan
22 January 2014, 03:13
I find fireclean to be better than froglube for cleaning, but I'm actually using something called Rand CLP right now which so far has been incredible and seems a lot better at preventing rust.

Bowser
24 January 2014, 02:08
I don't remember if I found this video on this forum or not, but I will repost it here. I too have been using Rand CLP lately because I know one of the guys who endorses their product and he gave me plenty a sample. I feel like it did make my guns feel a lot smoother than Slip 2000 EWL and EWL30 ever did. Frog Lube seemed to work for me, but I didn't like the paste after having tons of carbon mixed in. I also have lube from Shot Show 2013. Two types of lube I scored was PWS orange lube and Seal 1. They were both pasty and Frog Lube like. I have yet to try Fire Clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqXi947z0Ck

KevinBLC
25 January 2014, 01:21
Am I the only left using Break Free?

mustangfreek
25 January 2014, 02:37

I use break free CLP, and has worked good for me, havent tried the other stuff mentioned in this thread, but would liek to one day..

GOST
1 February 2014, 08:50
Started to buy some Fireclean but couldn't get over the $15 per 2 oz. Ended up with just using Slip 2000 EWL.

Computalotapus
1 February 2014, 09:14

I use break free as well. Would like to get my hands on FrogLube and FireClean as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JGifford
9 February 2014, 02:31
I have used Rand, fireclean, froglube, and Mpro7 lpx. Fireclean has impressed me the most in actual usage.

skd_tactical
9 February 2014, 07:06
I have been a long time EWL user. Years and years. My co-workers love fireclean and have convinced me to try it. I'm a "don't fix what isn't broken" guy. After I shot last, I stripped the weapon, and cleaned it with Fireclean. I let it soak in and the carbon literally wiped off most parts. I'll be shooting today with Fireclean on the weapon, before and after, so I'll see how it does.

SOS

GOST
9 February 2014, 11:04
I really wanted to use Fireclean but at $15 for 2 oz. it's to expensive for a compulsive over oiler. Even though I know I have enough lube on an then I'll put more on.

mustangfreek
24 June 2014, 02:53
Im new to the green stuff as of a few months ago..but i can say, more and more of my guns are getting the minty fresh green stuff as of lately..Like it alot so far, also have CLP hanging around but havent used it once since i got this stuff..

SwissyJim
12 November 2014, 20:14
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but save me from starting a 'Lets Talk Lube' thread and paying the price with replies.

Been a long time Froglube guy but have noticed some cold weather issues. Anyone use FireClean in sub-zero temps? I will be testing it in such, but curious to what others think. No dealers locally for it but I finally talked myself into the 1) cost and 2) shipping. But the talk about how well it works on suppressed weapons sold me on it, at least to test it.

But since I'm in Alaska, and I do actually go out and shoot when it's -35°, I'd like to make sure it's cold weather approved.

GOST
13 November 2014, 01:57
Here ya go Swissy.

http://www.thealaskalife.com/guns/fireclean-gun-oil/

GOST
13 November 2014, 02:02
hunt_ak is also a member here if you have any other questions.

FortTom
13 November 2014, 03:02
It took me a long time to jump on the Frog Lube bandwagon, I thought it might be all hype, but I really love it, and the simplicity of using it, after the initial prepping has been done. I use both the paste and the liquid "gel". I use both. It applies easily with an acid brush and goes where I want it to without running all over the place. Heating up, I can see the lube liquefying. Great stuff and I'm going to keep using it on all my weapons. Down side is the price is a little steep, upside, you can clean your gun in the house, and it tastes good too.:P

SINNER
13 November 2014, 04:19
Froglube turned to wax in a Benelli SBE2 on a trip with morning temps in the teens. Garbage. Stripped down the 5 weapons I tried it on and went beck with Lubriplate and Mobil 1. Dinosaur blood don't freeze. LOL

Ride4frnt
13 November 2014, 07:26
Froglube turned to wax in a Benelli SBE2 on a trip with morning temps in the teens. Garbage. Stripped down the 5 weapons I tried it on and went beck with Lubriplate and Mobil 1. Dinosaur blood don't freeze. LOL

Recently switched from Mobil1 to fireclean to try out, gonna get some frog lube soon. I will say the cleaning part is a breeze with fireclean.

GOST
13 November 2014, 07:36
I still use Slip 2000 EWL and FP10. No complaints about either.

Pyzik
13 November 2014, 07:57
Slip2000

What I've been using almost exclusively for a while.

Former11B
13 November 2014, 08:26
I definitely think FrogLube for cold...real cold climates is a bad combo. It gets thick even outside around 40*F but still melts when the gun starts running. I don't think I've ever seen FireClean on the shelf here but I'll look today...I'm almost out of FL and I might try something new

SpydrMan
13 November 2014, 10:43
EWL. I don't need a hair dryer to apply it, it doesn't turn back into a paste after I apply it. And honestly, gun lube isn't something I want to eat.

GOST
13 November 2014, 10:49
Here's you a Froglube promo.

http://youtu.be/Atno7O9c3Gc

JGifford
13 November 2014, 10:54
Here is a FIREClean Promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUqDB4Aefac

FortTom
13 November 2014, 11:54
Frog Lube Extreme Cold Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDHf4QwOn9A

There are probably 50 more of these. If your gun freezes up, you might be doing it wrong... I was going to try a test like this using my freezer, but it's been done so many times, I don't see any reason to do it again..

Application: I would suggest Frog Lubes instructions vs. a you tube video. I saw one video where the guy was heating his parts to 250 F in his oven. You don't need a hair dryer, they only recommend the parts be warm, maybe 90 to 100 degrees, but a hair dryer does make it a bit easier.

I use NiB BCG's in all of my weapons. Less viscous lubes just sling most of theirselves off, which I've found to be problematic with lubing NiB since I started using them. When shooting with Frog Lube, if you see "paste" you're definitely doing it wrong.
I do see the lube "liquefying" as soon as I start using it.

I'm not "selling" Frog Lube here, use whatever floats your boat, but I wouldn't want someone not to try it, because like anything else, when improperly used, it may not function correctly. [:)]

SwissyJim
13 November 2014, 11:58
Here ya go Swissy.

http://www.thealaskalife.com/guns/fireclean-gun-oil/

That's what got me looking into FC in the first place, but I also like to get info/opinions from other users as well to confirm things. I've been using Froglube for awhile now, and while I have not had any major issues in the cold, I have noticed it gumming back up into a paste and getting thicker in the cold even tho it's applied as directed - warmed, applied lightly and wiped off. Now that I'm in the suppressor club, I can see that pastiness getting really fouled up more.

Fireclean wasn't in the test, but here's a really cool test a guy did of many different gun lubes (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/141077-Results-of-gun-care-product-evaluation)

FortTom
13 November 2014, 12:28
That's what got me looking into FC in the first place, but I also like to get info/opinions from other users as well to confirm things. I've been using Froglube for awhile now, and while I have not had any major issues in the cold, I have noticed it gumming back up into a paste and getting thicker in the cold even tho it's applied as directed - warmed, applied lightly and wiped off. Now that I'm in the suppressor club, I can see that pastiness getting really fouled up more.

Fireclean wasn't in the test, but here's a really cool test a guy did of many different gun lubes (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/141077-Results-of-gun-care-product-evaluation)

Damn S-Jim, that's about the most comprehensive testing I've ever seen. Guy that did it was either highly motivated, had gobs of spare time, or both... I just skim read it, but found it to be very informative, and a worthwhile read for anyone else who may be interested in some real, tangible, tests, with real data, rather than anecdotal information, or what someone armed with nothing but an opinion might have to say.

I'm impressed with his methodology, and the depth of his testing. Definitely worth a read. The results are revealing, and caused me to lose faith in products that I use, or have used. Thanks for posting that.

FT

JGifford
13 November 2014, 16:41
Where Fireclean pulled ahead for me was when Froglube gummed up after being left on the weapon for a month or two. Also, it breaks down carbon better in my experience, making the weapon feel less "gritty" after shooting a good bit.

Sig chaser
4 December 2014, 18:46
I have used all three at various times and the only one I saw have issues was frog lube. Living in New England it can get down right cold and I got to see that one the temperature dipped into the negative numbers frog lube started to gum up and slowed down the gun inducing malfunctions. I'm not saying not to use it by any stretch as other then that it worked great but under that specific circumstance it had problems and I wasn't the only one that had that issue. I now run fireclean and like it though slip works well too.

GOST
5 December 2014, 05:28
My only problem with Fireclean is the price. Slip2000 EWL and FP10 are the 2 I use the most.

Thompson
5 December 2014, 15:44
Living in New England it can get down right cold and I got to see that one the temperature dipped into the negative numbers frog lube started to gum up and slowed down the gun inducing malfunctions.
Seems to be the general trend from what I've been reading people say.

FortTom
5 December 2014, 15:56
Seems to be the general trend from what I've been reading people say. I lubed a bolt, with frog lube and put the whole upper in the freezer for two hours. Got it out and it worked just fine.
In the mil, we were taught that in ECWS to run them dry when temps dropped to -15 or -20F or lower. And seriously, how much of your time are you going to spend in -20 and lower temperatures, shooting? Big game hunters also disassemble the bolts in their rifles when they trudge of into the tundra to hunt extremely cold weather big game, and meticously clean every drop of lube or grease out of the firearm. I would say that damned few people are even equipped, outside of the military and private contractors, to be out more than a few minutes in 30 below weather, much less shoot enough ammo in that weather to worry about running your gun, dry.

dlquinn71
5 December 2014, 18:01
Slip2000 EWL on everything, keeps it simple.

SwissyJim
5 December 2014, 22:12
I have had a few issues with Frog Lube, albeit was mostly (probably) my issue of having too much on the bolt in -30ºF temps where it gummed up. However, due to its' anti-rust capabilities I have applied it VERY liberally on some spare BCG's in ziplocks stored in my safe - warm and dry. I pulled one out the other day to start prepping it for use in a new 5.56 SBR upper and it was sticky and gummed up - not very slick lubed at all. I was pretty surprised to be honest. I had to totally clean it with denatured alcohol to remove everything, and it'll be lubed with FireClean to test. Was not totally happy about the gumminess of the BCG as far as storage goes - it sat that way for maybe 5 months?

Aberration79
15 December 2014, 20:33
I have the same experience SwissyJim. My complaint is not that it gummed up, I can kind of expect that. The problem I have is that the FL 'solvent' was completely ineffective. So I had to switch to petroleum based. Which defeats the purpose. My specific problem area was the recoil spring assembly on my AK. And then trigger groups on all my firearms. I finally got around to detail stripping my XD-S and FNX-T... what a mess it was in there.

FortTom
15 December 2014, 20:49
I have the same experience SwissyJim. My complaint is not that it gummed up, I can kind of expect that. The problem I have is that the FL 'solvent' was completely ineffective. So I had to switch to petroleum based. Which defeats the purpose. My specific problem area was the recoil spring assembly.
Can you be more specific? What did you expect the solvent to do that it didn't do. Just curious, have never heard this complaint before. Generally the solvent is used to remove petro-chemicals from the gun, not as a cleaner per se'. Any residual petro chemical will render the organic based CLP useless. Still, for my barrels, I use a good old fashioned copper solvent to make sure I'm getting the copper out about every 5 cleanings or so. Then I use the solvent to remove the solvent. I then run a little Frog CLP on a patch down the barrel a few times until the patch is spotless. These extra steps aren't required or recommended by Frog Lube, just something I do.

FT

Aberration79
15 December 2014, 21:02
I expected the solvent to actually help dissolve the FL. It did absolutely nothing. I kind of know what they said its used for. IMO the product line is incomplete. There is just about no way to get all of the excess FL out. And any excess FL is going to gunk up over time. They need something that is going to help break up the FL.

Or I guess I can just use petro product to do the real cleaning, and then use the solvent to get rid of it... and then reapply the FL.

That just seems like more work than should be necessary.

P.S. Sorry I edited before you replied and screwed up your quote.

Aberration79
15 December 2014, 21:08
http://froglube.com/froglube-product-info/froglube-directions/

Reading this, it doesn't really say that the solvent is only to remove Petro products. It seems to suggest to use it as you would other solvents.

And specifically;

If you get ‘build-up’ due to lack of cleaning, and you sustain sluggish performance, do a field strip and a generous application of FrogLube Solvent to all parts and spaces. You will find amazing cleaning results and this should normally return the firearm to peak operating performance.
After long term storage, you should do a field strip, clean and inspect. Reapply the CLP to preference.
In the event the firearm is over lubricated, do a thorough cleaning with FrogLube Solvent; it will remove excess lubricant in and inside the firearm spaces.
- See more at: http://froglube.com/froglube-product-info/froglube-directions/#sthash.VLoiOuWA.dpuf

So this is my complaint. The solvent sucks. :D

I even tried to contact them to find out WTF. I pretty much just got a shrug of the shoulders. I am still using it, just not as enthusiastic as I was before.

alamo5000
15 December 2014, 21:14
I was turned on to a relatively new product here on the forum... Seal 1.

So far my initial impressions are that I will never use anything else again in my life unless they come out with a Seal 1 version 2.0.

I had guns that were 'cleaned' using my old traditional methods... then I put Seal 1 on a 'clean' gun... only to see carbon melting away. This stuff is overall amazing.

I have personally never used frog lube, but after looking into it I have heard of several people who stopped using frog lube in favor of Seal 1.

EDIT: There are sellers on Amazon but I found a place online that sells it way cheaper in larger quantities and offers free shipping...better deal than anything I've found on Amazon.

SpydrMan
15 December 2014, 21:51
Slip2000 EWL on everything, keeps it simple.

^^^This

VIPER 237
15 December 2014, 22:02
What turned me on to FireClean was when I started to shoot a lit of suppressed weapons, those who also do know how filthy they get in a short time. I was given a sample at Shot Show a couple years ago and said why not. So I went home and degreased my bcg and shot a couple hundred rounds suppressed out of my SR15. It was nasty inside like every other lube but what sold me was how easy it wiped off. Ive tried FrogLube, SL!P 2000, FP10, MPRO-7, and a bunch of others and NONE have cleaned up as easily. 2 years later and IMO it is the one and only that has actually lived up to the hype.

FortTom
16 December 2014, 11:18

So far my initial impressions are that I will never use anything else again in my life unless they come out with a Seal 1 version 2.0.

I had guns that were 'cleaned' using my old traditional methods... then I put Seal 1 on a 'clean' gun... only to see carbon melting away. This stuff is overall amazing.

I have personally never used frog lube, but after looking into it I have heard of several people who stopped using frog lube in favor of Seal 1.

EDIT: There are sellers on Amazon but I found a place online that sells it way cheaper in larger quantities and offers free shipping...better deal than anything I've found on Amazon.

So, are you keeping the online place that's cheaper a secret, or are you going to share with the rest of us?

FortTom
16 December 2014, 11:24

The real test, and I've had to eat my words by trying it, is not to take a clean gun and run product A through it, get some dirt and declare it the winner. Next time clean a weapon with Seal 1, then, in a couple of days run some Hoppes or something else, and see if you get fouling or copper on a clean patch. I've done this over the years with several products, and could almost always get at least just a bit of carbon, or copper on a new patch soaked in something else.

That being said, you're not the first one to mention Seal 1. Might have to try that out. I really like Frog Lube because I can clean guns in my house. Gets them pretty damn clean too. But I'm always open to something "better".

FT

GOST
16 December 2014, 15:37
Optics Planet has the best price I've seen on Seal 1.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/seal-1-clp-gun-care-plus.html

FortTom
16 December 2014, 16:54
Optics Planet has the best price I've seen on Seal 1.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/seal-1-clp-gun-care-plus.html

Thanks GOST. I might order the kit, and try it side by side with Frog Lube. I did some searches around the net, looking for reviews, but mostly in the gun forums, they just devolved into "cyber fist" fights. The end result was usually something on the order of "you suck" or the like.[:D]

The rest, are salesmen, who have a vested interest in the product, so I guess the only way I'll know, is to try it. I'll pick out 1 rifle exclusively, for SEAL 1 and one for Frog Lube and see if there is any appreciable difference.

I was a late comer to Frog Lube. The "fights" over whether or not it was treasure or trash, never got me anywhere, so I just decided to try it, after hearing all the hype for a couple of years. So far, I've been thoroughly pleased with it, so now I'm hesitant to spend cash on Fire Clean or Seal 1, but I think I'll give the latter a try.

FT

alamo5000
16 December 2014, 17:45
So, are you keeping the online place that's cheaper a secret, or are you going to share with the rest of us?

I bought the bigger bottles of the stuff here:

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/

They shipped very fast and all the products were individually wrapped and UPS'ed right to the door. Shipping was free.

I ordered from Amazon and they took forever. I order from Kittery 4 days after Amazon and Kittery arrived 4 days before my Amazon order did. And the price at Amazon was about $3.30 an ounce to the door and at the other place like $2.15 per ounce...It was like $34 to the door for 16 oz of the stuff. (8oz paste 8oz liquid).

I was very impressed with Kittery and very disappointed with that Amazon seller. There were several things wrong with my Amazon order... I will not order from that seller ever again. Among other things, they must have been storing the stuff next to a heater or something. My 'paste' was 'goop' and part of it leaked out into the bag....

But like I said, with basically a little less than 4oz of paste I did numerous guns with generous portions of the stuff. I haven't tried the liquid yet... but the say to season the metal at first it's better to use the paste.

alamo5000
16 December 2014, 17:58
The real test, and I've had to eat my words by trying it, is not to take a clean gun and run product A through it, get some dirt and declare it the winner. Next time clean a weapon with Seal 1, then, in a couple of days run some Hoppes or something else, and see if you get fouling or copper on a clean patch. I've done this over the years with several products, and could almost always get at least just a bit of carbon, or copper on a new patch soaked in something else.

That being said, you're not the first one to mention Seal 1. Might have to try that out. I really like Frog Lube because I can clean guns in my house. Gets them pretty damn clean too. But I'm always open to something "better".

FT

I'm not basing my statement on one dimension... just saying... but overall... I really like the stuff. It smells sort of like a mild ben gay.... but it's not over powering at all.

With the little 4oz bottle of paste I got at first I cleaned 1 AR15 and 7 pistols. One of those pistols was dirty dirty. Hadn't been cleaned in a year. It wasn't mine...but I cleaned it to show what it does to someone else... in one step, bam. ALL that stuff was gone and the gun looked like new.

Just based on overall experience Seal 1 is a winner. I am going to keep it on hand for the foreseeable future. I am personally a clean freak when it comes to guns. Yes I like to get them dirty but I like to keep them clean too.

Before I was using several other products.... ProShot 3 in 1, CLP, and a few other things.... I did it the traditional way... then I tried Seal 1 and was pretty much blown away about how easy and nice it was. I will also state for the record I haven't put the guns through their paces with Seal 1 but I am very confident in them. Not only does the finish of the gun look better, I am confident that I will loose the 'wetness' but gain a lot...

I am just impressed so far. I will be happy to report back after I shoot more but so far I have a winner on my hands.

FortTom
16 December 2014, 18:08
I'm not basing my statement on one dimension... just saying... but overall... I really like the stuff. It smells sort of like a mild ben gay.... but it's not over powering at all.

With the little 4oz bottle of paste I got at first I cleaned 1 AR15 and 7 pistols. One of those pistols was dirty dirty. Hadn't been cleaned in a year. It wasn't mine...but I cleaned it to show what it does to someone else... in one step, bam. ALL that stuff was gone and the gun looked like new.

Just based on overall experience Seal 1 is a winner. I am going to keep it on hand for the foreseeable future. I am personally a clean freak when it comes to guns. Yes I like to get them dirty but I like to keep them clean too.

Before I was using several other products.... ProShot 3 in 1, CLP, and a few other things.... I did it the traditional way... then I tried Seal 1 and was pretty much blown away about how easy and nice it was. I will also state for the record I haven't put the guns through their paces with Seal 1 but I am very confident in them. Not only does the finish of the gun look better, I am confident that I will loose the 'wetness' but gain a lot...

I am just impressed so far. I will be happy to report back after I shoot more but so far I have a winner on my hands.

I knew what you meant. That's a big part of the reason I'm going to try some too, with an A, B and C comparison test. I'm going to do the S1 and FL in 2 different rifles. After a few cleanings (to allow the S1 to "season" the barrel, I'm going to clean the barrels, and see how each does. Especially on the BCG's. I use NiB in all my rifles, and it's pretty much a wipe off proposition. Then I'll take them both to the range, clean them with S1 and FL let the set for a day or so, and use a third party "old school" cleaner like Hoppes or Shooters Choice and see what comes out of the barrels if anything. If the difference is not significant I'll just keep using FL, if there is, I'll switch...

FT

alamo5000
16 December 2014, 18:11
One of the main differences I see between Seal 1 and the other traditional lubes like Hoppes or Pro Shot or CLP is that the latter over time will have evaporation. You can treat your gun and then if you don't shoot for a while or depending on other environmental factors the light elements of those products can dry out. It will leave a sticky film on the gun. When that happened to me I used the green can of non chlorinated disk brake cleaner to strip it and re apply...

It was just my style... with the Seal 1 though.... the stuff soaks into the metal like a well seasoned frying pan. It's relatively dry but when there is a little heat applied it releases and 'activates'... with Seal 1 from what I understand if you treat your gun properly and say don't shoot for a month or two... (I have several guns that I don't always shoot)... then you pull it out... wipe it down if you want... and you're ready to go. You don't even have to wipe it down. It just seems to me to be far superior as a system and a product.

skymark
17 December 2014, 06:42
In regard to Seal 1, are there any differences between the paste or liquid (other than being a paste or liquid)? Their website has instructions for using both, which are basically identical, but no info about advantages one vs the other.

alamo5000
17 December 2014, 09:18
The instructions said the paste is better for initial treatment. I'm guessing because its thicker and stays where you put it. The first few times cleaning you treat and let it sit for 45 min or longer. The paste stays put. The liquid gets into the little cracks and small spaces better. Supposedly the paste is for the first few times and the liquid is for basic treatment and rub downs. And you can make your own bore patches or whatever.

alamo5000
17 December 2014, 09:22
But they are the same....no difference.

eldogg
21 December 2014, 18:29
shooting with a friend today, his m&p wouldn't fire. look at the primers they all had very, very light strikes. I field stripped it and it had this thick sticky film in it, he told me it was froglube and had been sitting for about 2 months. I squirted some fireclean in the striker and down the fireing pin hole. racked it and dry fired it several times and it functioned the rest of the afternoon. then we shot skeet, his over and under would only fire the top barrel. he used frog lube on it too. I will say, I don't know if or how he prepped, or how much he used to lube. I do know that in the past when I used frog lube after sitting for a while turned sticky too .

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 18:44
shooting with a friend today, his m&p wouldn't fire. look at the primers they all had very, very light strikes. I field stripped it and it had this thick sticky film in it, he told me it was froglube and had been sitting for about 2 months. I squirted some fireclean in the striker and down the fireing pin hole. racked it and dry fired it several times and it functioned the rest of the afternoon. then we shot skeet, his over and under would only fire the top barrel. he used frog lube on it too. I will say, I don't know if or how he prepped, or how much he used to lube. I do know that in the past when I used frog lube after sitting for a while turned sticky too .

I have heard of other people with this problem too. In fact this is the 3rd or 4th (at least) case of this that I have heard of... and yet another reason why people are switching to Seal 1.

All that said though, if he took his gun apart and warmed it up with a hair dryer it would have probably solved his problem.

I haven't gotten that far with Seal 1 yet, but with most cleaning things when you let them sit for a while, exposed to the air, eventually they will dry up. The lighter elements will eventually evaporate and it will leave 'something' on the metal. I would only guess Froglube is the same.

With me though, ANY gun with ANY cleaning product, if it hasn't been shot for two months I would think it wise to give it a once over before going and pulling the trigger at a range.

FortTom
21 December 2014, 18:57
I would refer him to the manual that came with his Glock, and how to properly lubricate it. Squirting plant-bio based goop, or anything else down the striker channel is a no-no. Improperly lubricating a Glock, with anything, can cause problems. There are about 5 or 6 points that Glock recommends be lubricated, and sparingly at that. Many folks don't think too highly of those engineers at Glock, and tend to substitute their own reality with theirs, and that is one of the most common causes of failures of Glock pistols. Both SEAL 1 and Froglube are very similar products, and both will turn a little sticky after setting for a while. That is generally caused by folks ignoring the instructions on how to use the products, e.g. heating the parts to about 100 degrees, applying and wiping off excess. Too many people again, don't believe the chemists and engineers that designed the stuff, reject their ideas , come up with their own ideas about how a product should REALLY be used, and slather the stuff everywhere.

If you watch the youtube videos, from the makers, not the youboob idiots, you will be amazed how very little fire clean and other like products they actually instruct folks to use.

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 19:12
I would refer him to the manual that came with his Glock, and how to properly lubricate it. Squirting plant-bio based goop, or anything else down the striker channel is a no-no. Improperly lubricating a Glock, with anything, can cause problems. There are about 5 or 6 points that Glock recommends be lubricated, and sparingly at that. Many folks don't think too highly of those engineers at Glock, and tend to substitute their own reality with theirs, and that is one of the most common causes of failures of Glock pistols. Both SEAL 1 and Froglube are very similar products, and both will turn a little sticky after setting for a while. That is generally caused by folks ignoring the instructions on how to use the products, e.g. heating the parts to about 100 degrees, applying and wiping off excess. Too many people again, don't believe the chemists and engineers that designed the stuff, reject their ideas , come up with their own ideas about how a product should REALLY be used, and slather the stuff everywhere.

If you watch the youtube videos, from the makers, not the youboob idiots, you will be amazed how very little fire clean and other like products they actually instruct folks to use.

Dudes don't need maps and dudes don't need no stinkin' instruction manuals. Now what's this bag of extra bolts I have left over for? :)

FortTom
21 December 2014, 19:36
Dudes don't need maps and dudes don't need no stinkin' instruction manuals. Now what's this bag of extra bolts I have left over for? :)
Yeah, and you can easily spot them from a distance, they're the guys with 3 fingers missing on their (former) shooting hands....[:)]

JGifford
21 December 2014, 21:20

Yes, but unlike the S1 and FL, FC can be used in excess without any "special" problems not inherent in more "common" CLP's. It's like like regular "CLP", except better, in every way, with no weird "but it will turn to glue if you use too much..." disclaimers attached.

eldogg
22 December 2014, 03:23
like i said, we were in the field, i didn't have a can of degreaser, so i squirted the only lube i had, fire clean, in the striker area to try to UNGLUE it. btw, the M&P has been his carry pistol. good thing he hasn't ran into trouble. it would have been a bad day.
lesson to be learned, one i would say read and follow directions on the label. and two, regular maint. on your carry pistol.

GOST
22 December 2014, 06:12
If Fireclean was a little cheaper I'd probably give it a try. I'm still using Slip 2000 EWL and FP10, both have been great. I personally think for the price FP10 may be the best lube out there.

GOST
22 December 2014, 06:17
If you haven't tried FP10 I highly recommend it. It's good to -75 degrees and applies like a regular lube.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/189955/shooters-choice-fp-10-gun-lubricant-elite-4-oz-liquid

Aberration79
23 December 2014, 21:51

I had the same happen with my FNX-T. Which happened after I wrote my last post about my AK...

freebug
24 December 2014, 21:13
I use both and like both. Froglube must be made from bacon grease or something pretty close. It smells like mint.

Fireclean - great on the bolt. Froglube everywhere else. Froglube on 1911 rails, Glocks, etc...

mustangfreek
25 December 2014, 03:06
If you haven't tried FP10 I highly recommend it. It's good to -75 degrees and applies like a regular lube.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/189955/shooters-choice-fp-10-gun-lubricant-elite-4-oz-liquid

...heard good things about it....it comes with all Dan wesson pistols....[:D]....[BD]...

greenlineaz
14 January 2015, 09:48
I have been using Slip 2000 and the 725 for the last year and a half. I have no complaints with it, and I bought the spray bottle size of Slip 2K, so I probably won't need to buy more lube for a long time. I used Froglube once to clean and lubricate my duty gun after quals. I don't remember being blown away by how easy it was to clean the gun, but I do remember the minty smell, which I thought was cool. The other thing that impressed me about it was that it seemed to stay in place much longer than M-Pro 7, Breakfree CLP, and to a lesser extent, Slip 2K. No big deal, as I try to re-lubricate at least once every 2 weeks. I have been very interested in Fireclean, but because I already have so much lube, I'm not going to buy more just to try it.

Deadwing
15 January 2015, 00:54
If Fireclean was a little cheaper I'd probably give it a try. I'm still using Slip 2000 EWL and FP10, both have been great. I personally think for the price FP10 may be the best lube out there.

I'm right there with you on the Fireclean. They're awful proud of that stuff. Slip 2000 works great for just about all applications for me. Although i do lube my Sig pistols with TW25B grease. I'm going to have to try the FP10 now.