PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 VS 6.5

SturmSoldaten
3 August 2008, 14:58
so i wanna build an AR with a little more punch and want to do either 6.5 or 6.8. which one is the round to go with? are they both here to stay? which one has a brighter future?

please no .308 or 7.62 suggestions, just stay on topic.
thanks

Stickman
3 August 2008, 21:14
Strong arguments for both sides have been made, but since the military keeps coming up with the numbers 6 and 8, I would give much better odds on the 6.8 sticking around.

Both give more punch, both are available calibers, but if I were getting into a 6 point something AR, it would be the 6.8.

Cohibra45
4 August 2008, 05:48
As Stickman said, very strong and heated 'discussions' have ensued about which one is the 'better' round. I will state that both are very good rounds and you need to do your due diligence.

Check out the 6.8 here: http://www.68forums.com/

Check out the 6.5 here: http://www.65grendel.com/

At first I thought I would get the 6.5 as on paper it 'seems' to have the edge, but after I did more research, I am choosing the 6.8.

It truly is personal preference. You will need a minimum of barrel/BCG/magazines to make the change if you don't get the complete upper. I can say that if you do decide to get one or the other, please do your research throughly.

If you want to get the maximum performance out of the 6.8 (which is pretty spectacular IMO) you will need to make sure the barrel has the Spec II or SAAMI II chamber...both are the same. I would strongly recommend the 1:11 twist rate also.

Take care and don't rely on just a couple opinions...do your research everywhere.

Kelly (Cohibra45)

BTW, did I mention...DO YOUR RESEARCH!!![:D][:D][:D]

Paulo_Santos
4 August 2008, 08:33
I still view the 6.8 SPC as more of a Combat Cartridge while the Grendel as a Precision Cartridge, although both are getting closer to each other and both cartridges are better than they were when they first came out.

What do you plan on using it for and how far do you plan on shooting with them? Do you want a Chrome lined barrel or SS barrel?

SturmSoldaten
10 August 2008, 01:03
so i am gonna go with 6.8. rainier arms has a 20 inch barrel i am interested in but was wondering what kind of flash suppresors i can use and what front sight bases i can use are. can i just use the same stuff as a 5.56 barrel?

delta rings assembly, front sight base, A2 bird cage

SturmSoldaten
11 August 2008, 11:10
so i found the parts now i just gotta start buying stuff.

i wanna build a M16A4 clone in 6.8 SPC

Paulo_Santos
11 August 2008, 13:15
The threads are 5/8x24 so any .308 muzzle brake will work. If you want the A2 birdcage look, get the Armalite .308 A2. Everything else is the same as the .223, except the bolt and magazines.

SturmSoldaten
11 August 2008, 13:26
thnks a lot for the help