PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Tailor Covert Carry Case

Stickman
4 August 2008, 10:52
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_7640%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Tactical Tailor Covert Carry Case

Weapon System: AR15/ M16 or similar sized weapons

Manufacturer: www.tacticaltailor.com (http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=20)

Purpose of Item: Concealment, carry, storage and light protection of the weapon.

Items Included: Case and extra carry/ shoulder strap.

Whether hauling the weapon to the range, carrying it in the trunk of a cruiser, or storing a weapon, a soft case can be a convenient if not mandatory piece of equipment at times.

The Tactical Tailor Covert Carry Case (TT-CCC) has an odd name, but after I thought about what the rest of my firearm cases looked like, the TT-CCC certainly looked less like a firearm bag than my soft cases that were tapered.

Constructed of 1000 denier Cordura nylon, and with heavy duty zippers that can be secured/ padlocked, the TT-CCC starts out with solid features. The TT-CCC uses 3/8"th closed cell foam padding, and has two movable wide velcro straps to secure your weapon inside the case. It also has a shoulder straps in addition to the two heavily reinforced carry handles.

Moving to the outer pocket, there are four pockets that fit two AR15/ M16 magazines (USGI or PMAG) each. The outer covering is loose, and permits extra storage for rolled targets or whatever else you can think of.

I'll be the first to admit that the soft case that I had been using was an import version, and its one that I've seen around quite a bit. The import versions tend to look pretty decent from a distance, at least until the stitching comes apart, and the zippers break. Start with a basic carbine, add a rail, optics, and whatever else you feel you need, and most people are well north of $1500. Saving $50 on a case, only to have it break, or worse yet, dump your weapon on the concrete, is an example of why it pays to buy quality the first time.

Stickman
4 August 2008, 11:12
This picture shows the TT-CCC with a 16" AR15 carbine (with 30 round mag inserted), and 8 magazines secured inside. You can see that the extra material prevents the magazines from sticking out or pressing against the material and showing an outline.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_7641%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Stickman
4 August 2008, 11:17
Here you can see the internal storage area as it holds 8 AR15/ M16 magazines. With two in each pouch, there is still a little room left over. AK magazines aren't a problem. You can tell from this picture that there is extra room for additional equipment as well. I know that most people carry a dedicated range bag with cleaning equipment, stapler, eye & ear protection and other items, but there is enough room inside here to throw in extra targets, or whatever else you find yourself needing.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_7642%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Stickman
4 August 2008, 11:20
Here we see a 16" carbine with magazine secured inside the case. There is no slop from side to side in the fit, and you will have to make sure your stock is collapsed all the way in, but there are four different case sizes (32", 36", 42", 45") if you need one that is larger.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_7645%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Stickman
4 August 2008, 11:22
The velcro pieces which lock the weapon down are wide, and tighten down enough to prevent the weapon from flopping about inside the case. The velcro pieces can also be removed, and moved to other locations. For the AR15 shown below, no adjustment was needed.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_7646%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Stickman
4 August 2008, 11:24
Closed cell phone (3/8th") is used to protect the weapon, and Tactical Tailor has gone out of their way to give zippered compartments instead of taking the easy way out and stitching it down. The zippers allow for storage of paperwork, cleaning rod, or anything else which is relatively flat.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_7647%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Stickman
4 August 2008, 11:41
There is a lot of equipment that could be reviewed on this site, and there are a lot of items that we simply pass over. Reviews on cheap equipment that none of us would carry aren't worth the time to write, and its my feeling that its not worth your time to read or look at the pictures.

Solid equipment that you can depend on is worth paying extra. In this case, the Tactical Tailor Covert Carry Case is a little under $100. Thats roughly twice the price of a cheaper import case. Better materials (1000 Denier Cordura nylon), better stitching, better zippers, and being made in the USA are things that make this case a better long term purchase. It also makes it a better overall investment in your weapon equipment.

Stickman
5 August 2008, 20:47
It was pointed out to me that with one of my pictures, it doesn't look like the case will hold a carbine with a 30 round magazine inserted. The picture gives the wrong impression, and this case takes a 16" carbine with a 30 round magazine inserted without any problem.

I'll try to get another picture shot to illustrate it better.

mq32
18 January 2009, 20:09
What size is the bag you show here that will fit the 16" M4.

Stickman
20 January 2009, 20:54
The 32" carbine case fits 16" barreled carbines.

Schwome
27 January 2009, 21:35
The 32" carbine case fits 16" barreled carbines.

2 questions? I have an M93B stock & a 16" barrel. I know the M93B is a little longer than the CTR when collapsed. Will this fit in the 32" case? And lastly, how does the Tactical Tailor "tan" color compare to Eagle Ind. cyote brown Thanks in advance

Stickman
27 January 2009, 21:52
2 questions? I have an M93B stock & a 16" barrel. I know the M93B is a little longer than the CTR when collapsed. Will this fit in the 32" case? And lastly, how does the Tactical Tailor "tan" color compare to Eagle Ind. cyote brown Thanks in advance

The CTR is a nice tight fit, any longer and I think you would have issues. As far as the color, I'm not sure. I have not held them next to each other, and the only Eagle I currently have is a MC CIRAS. I believe that CB is always darker, but I have not held them next to each other myself to verify your question/ answer.

I can ask around, but hopefully one of the buys here will know for certain, and get you a quicker reply.

Schwome
29 January 2009, 08:21
The CTR is a nice tight fit, any longer and I think you would have issues. As far as the color, I'm not sure. I have not held them next to each other, and the only Eagle I currently have is a MC CIRAS. I believe that CB is always darker, but I have not held them next to each other myself to verify your question/ answer.

I can ask around, but hopefully one of the buys here will know for certain, and get you a quicker reply.

Thanks Stick

Bob Reed
7 February 2009, 10:07
Hello Stick & Thanks a Million for another Outstanding Review.

That is a fine lookin' piece of gear, and something I'll more than likely order after some other more pressing items are secured.

I do wish the cover for the outter pocket was padded thow...

jvencius
10 February 2009, 07:12
For comparison's sake, here's a shot of my Sabre Defence 16" middy with a Smith Vortex on one end and a Vltor EMod on the other end in a 36" Tactical Tailor Covert Carry Case. The piece is 33.5" long with the stock fully collapsed so while I MIGHT have been able to squeeze it into a 32" case I'm happy I went with the 36" version since there's less interior length than I thought. The stated dimension is probably the outside length and doesn't account for padding, lining thickness, etc... and those bits take up some space.

Compared to the Magpul CTR, the EMod is ~1" longer but since I'm a large guy and have arms like the Yeti, the extra LOP isn't a bad thing, consequently the longer stock necessitated the larger case.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/jvencius/P1010129-1.jpg

montgomerygentryFan
10 February 2009, 16:12
That's a nice looking case. Great review as always. This looks like a good case, for those who don't need all the MOLLE/PALS option like the i-Shot case and others (although those look pretty good). But for my uses which is pretty much storing and transporting to the range that looks to be a great choice. I currently have Maxpedition's long gun case (Eagles and TT were out of stock when I ordered).

erslll
19 December 2009, 09:45
I know I am bringing up an old thread but....

I wanted to thank Stick for the great review. I recently picked up a pair of TT DCC's and couldn't be happier with them. As mentioned in other discreet carry case discussions, you probably aren't really fooling any one when your cases are OD and FDE but still great cases, none the less. Well worth the extra money over the import stuff.

southpak
25 January 2012, 05:39
nice case...good and easy to carry..i also have one similar to this .

Stickman
25 January 2012, 20:37
I've never ripped a zipper on any Tactical Tailor product, which is more than I can say for a lot of other companies.

tac40
25 January 2012, 22:22
I'll have to pick one up.

Striker071
28 January 2012, 09:50
Only issue now is they don't offer different sizes.... wanted a 32"

csmith
11 February 2012, 20:33
I picked one up from SKD, presumably the "new" style. Very good quality. Much better than the Chinese bag my Remington 700 is in.

tom lee
13 February 2012, 00:33
hey cool and soft case easy to carry :)