PDA

View Full Version : A.R.M.S.#41-B

blkexp98
4 August 2008, 11:53
Does anyone have anymore info on the A.R.M.S.#41-B folding front sight? I saw the picture on the new parts forum (thanks Stickman) but am having trouble finding more info on it.

On the ARMS site it looks like it used pins to install but on Stickmans picture it looks like a crossbolt.

How durable does the site look and feel compared to other sights you have handled?

How small of a barrel can i attach it to? I know its probably meant for .750" but would it attach to something a little smaller if it were going in front of the normal location and not attached to the gas system. (Think dissapator sp? but only extending to a midlength location.

Thanks for any help and more pictures and other info is always welcome.

Major

TigerStripe
4 August 2008, 12:48
It attaches with clamp on screws. I didn't find the info about smaller barrel diameter. I don't understand what you mean by "not attached to the gas system".

TS

blkexp98
4 August 2008, 22:52
Sorry for the confusion. What i meant by not attached to the gas system is i would basically be running the front sight alone with no gas tube.

The application would be a Noveske 12.5" barrel where there is a low profile gas block attached for the gas tap. The ARMS front sight would basically sit in front of that and basically be in the midlength position. Since there isnt a gas port there it wouldnt be attached to the gas system.

My current build is consisting of a midlength Viking tactics handguard with their 2" top rail for a front sight. I have a Troy that i planned to mount there. With the rail attached and the sight attached to that it isnt looking as clean as i had hoped. My idea of using the ARMS front sight would let me gain a little sight radius and make the build look allot cleaner.

The bad part is i cant find much info at all on the front sight. I like the looks but looks dont mean much if its a bad design.

Stickman
5 August 2008, 20:27
Does anyone have anymore info on the A.R.M.S.#41-B folding front sight? I saw the picture on the new parts forum (thanks Stickman) but am having trouble finding more info on it.

On the ARMS site it looks like it used pins to install but on Stickmans picture it looks like a crossbolt.

How durable does the site look and feel compared to other sights you have handled?

How small of a barrel can i attach it to? I know its probably meant for .750" but would it attach to something a little smaller if it were going in front of the normal location and not attached to the gas system.

Thanks for any help and more pictures and other info is always welcome.

Major

My understanding is that its going to be available as a drilled part for OEM applications, and a standard version as shown in the one I am currently using.

Let me dig up some more pictures for you, I think I am using mine in a profile similar to what you are thinking about.

Stickman
5 August 2008, 20:36
Sorry for the confusion. What i meant by not attached to the gas system is i would basically be running the front sight alone with no gas tube. My idea of using the ARMS front sight would let me gain a little sight radius and make the build look allot cleaner.

The bad part is i cant find much info at all on the front sight. I like the looks but looks dont mean much if its a bad design.

Thankfully for you, I have no problems admitting how dumb I am sometimes, and in this case, it may help you with how well built the item is. For some reason, I was fixated on the release that lowers the sight as being a part that you push down in the middle of the rear leg. I was wrong, and in talking to ARMS, I was told that because it was one of the first three made, that it was possible mine was tight, but to go ahead and use force on it. ARMS wasn't worried about the unit getting damaged. If a little force doesn't work, try, and try again with a hammer. Granted, I wasn't taking full swings with my framing hammer, but I thumped it a few times pretty hard before I suddenly figured out that all I needed to do was gently push down, and it would fold flat without difficulty.

I felt like an idiot, especially because its a very natural motion, and quite easy to use folding up or down. I caused no harm to the sight, even though the unit is obviously not meant to be worked over with a hammer.

I'm having a hard time finding pictures of it on a complete weapon because some of the additional parts in the pictures are not cleared to be released right now. I think I can find a few close ups, and I'll see about reshooting some more pictures of that I can post on a complete carbine.

Stickman
5 August 2008, 20:43
Here is one of the pictures. I'll see about shooting pictures on a complete weapon in the next few days.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/AAC/IMG_6424-1028-WEVO.jpg

blkexp98
14 August 2008, 17:35
Just for an update i called ARMS and was told the person i needed to talk to wasnt there and the took a message. As of yet i havent recieved a call back. Ill Try again tomorrow when i get off of work and post what i find out.

Anyone have any spoecific questions they want answers to? Please post the ASAP as ill hopefully be back from work around 2 or 3ish tomorrow afternoon.

Maybe ill luck out and they will offer me a blemished one to test on my application and report back. [BD]