PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

baboon
23 December 2013, 06:37
End of the month I'm buying a new Colt burst marked M-16A2 Commando. I been told I'm stupid for wanting to shoot this! Also been told to keep the upper unfired & remove the factory butt stock if I do choose to shoot it.

I have a SSK built .300 Whisper & an LMT piston upper that I figure both to run fine on it. Eventually I wouldn't mind finding a closed bolt LMG upper for it.

What are y'alls opinions on this?

Jerry R
23 December 2013, 07:45
If you are buying for an investment, "they" are correct. If you are buying to keep, shoot the pee-willy out of it !

I was going to say that the 300 Whisper would be a little expensive to shoot in an M-16A2 but if you can afford the tool, you can probably afford to feed it. I would be very interested in how the Piston fares on this lower. Should be fine, but if you take notes on small things and report back ................

MoxyDave
23 December 2013, 12:01
Install some KNS anti-walk pins if you plan to shoot it. That's the only place you'd have any appreciable wear. Maybe the receiver extension too.

Full auto is fun. Shoot the crap out of it! Oh and try a Battlecomp or something similar, it really helps in full auto.

I might even replace all the lower parts, including the buffer tube, with temporary parts if you want to shoot it. Care to say how much you're spending on this gem?

baboon
23 December 2013, 12:50
Install some KNS anti-walk pins if you plan to shoot it. That's the only place you'd have any appreciable wear. Maybe the receiver extension too.

Full auto is fun. Shoot the crap out of it! Oh and try a Battlecomp or something similar, it really helps in full auto.

I might even replace all the lower parts, including the buffer tube, with temporary parts if you want to shoot it. Care to say how much you're spending on this gem?

$29,500.00

MoxyDave
23 December 2013, 14:01
That's about what I expected. Thanks for sharing [:)]

Are you doing this as an investment or just for fun? I've considered this as an investment option, but the hassles surrounding the purchasing are pretty retarded and they could change at any time ...

baboon
23 December 2013, 14:47
I'm doing what I think makes more sense then the current interest rates are. Any one of our lives could be drastically changed @ any minute.

FortTom
23 December 2013, 15:22
As an aside, glad to see we have a Zappa fan here.....

FT

baboon
23 December 2013, 15:46
Stopped listen to Frank after Zoot Allures!
As an aside, glad to see we have a Zappa fan here.....

FT

Stickman
23 December 2013, 17:00
If you can afford a select fire lower, and live in a free state, I say go for it. You can't take anything with you, if you're going to drop 30k, enjoy every second. Make sure you share some video though.

KevinBLC
24 December 2013, 14:00
Most importantly, where are the pictures!!!

baboon
24 December 2013, 15:03
I put $5K on it until some C.D's mature end of this month, then start the wait. It was posted on gun broker a while back & on subguns.com.
Most importantly, where are the pictures!!!

MoxyDave
25 December 2013, 14:58
I'm not familiar with buying full auto stuff. Is it the same process as silencers & sbr's? $200 tax stamp, wait forever, give 'em your first born, etc. etc.?

baboon
26 December 2013, 02:29
Same song & dance, but the price of admission is greater.

FortTom
3 January 2014, 19:26
Same song & dance, but the price of admission is greater.
Long story short, a long time (since school) friend of mine who was born into a family on the Golden side of the tracks, had his father spin off one of the family business' to him after him graduating college. Me, from the "scap metal" side of the tracks, joined the service and lost track of him for twenty something years. The guy is humble, definitely not a "show off" or braggart, you'd never know he had so much money, unless he told you. Anyway, I caught up with him about 13 years ago. Met him at his office complex (ain't that cool, not just an office, but a complex) for a beer or four, also cool, the boss can have a beer at work. He took me into a vault that he had built, that was bigger than some apartments that I've lived in. NOT an exaggeration. I was truly dumbfounded and speechless with all the NFA stuff, modern and historical especially the sheer numbers of full auto weapons that he had in his collection. That's not counting cans and such. I don't recall what the fees were then, but I think he said you had to pay it on each weapon. It had to run into serious, serious bucks just for the stamps. I don't know if you have to renew them, or that they're good until transferred, but if he GAVE me his collection, I'd have to sell everything I own, plus borrow money, just for the stamps. I'd still probably come up short.[:)] Expensive hobbies for high rollers only, I guess. Point is, if you can afford it, heck yeah, shoot it. Unless it's new in box, I seriously doubt you'll devalue it with proper care and "reverence".:P

FT.

Iraqgunz
4 January 2014, 22:08
I'll throw this out there. Regardless of what others have said about the upper, you are really paying for the full auto lower. An exception is if you pay for some kind of LNIB deal with paperwork, accessories, etc.. and then it is only worth what a collector will pay. Additionally KNS pins serve no purpose in a correctly built M16. I have never seen a lower that was damaged from the pins "rotating" this includes service of almost 10 years in two military branches and an additional 6 years working in Iraq and A'stan as well as the civilian world. What I have seen are idiots who don't know how to correctly assembly and disassemble the lower, who take them apart every time to clean (because someone told them to) or from sticking oversized punches or other shit in the hammer and trigger pin holes.