PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Body Armor Recommendations

JPLMedic
23 December 2013, 19:04
I am a paramedic in a large city. In light of recent events (take your pick, Active shooter, violence against providers etc.) I have decided to make an investment in a concealable armor vest.

I know that more than a few of you on here are LEO and have extensive experience with vests. You know what works and what doesn't, what is comfortable and what isn't.

What I want: Level IIIa.
Conceal-ability. I am 5'8" 165#
A brand I can trust. I have no desire to save a few dollars if it means sacrificing protection.

Really I am looking for your recommendations on brands, as well as any other pertinent advice you would care to share.

Does anyone know anything about TurtleSkin? http://www.turtleskin.com/Body-Armor/Body-Armor-Ballistics-Protection.aspx

I did some searching and found my exact question...with no real answers.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?4821-Concealed-Ballistic-Vest&highlight=armor

ZKK
24 December 2013, 01:59
not here but info of value, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=498169
galls is cheap, fast shipping and has a lot to choose from. I always got mine there but my work paid for it.

I've worn armor at work for over ten years, it sucks, hot, bulky hard to move. You sound as if you have a medium frame, should be an easy fit but there are a lot of variables like how wide you are, how tall your torso is. Size and fit are very important. Most reputable vendors will have no problem with quick returns if you have sizing issues and don't wear the vest.

voodoo_man
24 December 2013, 16:46
Do you want BALCS or just a hard-plate style setup, which doesn't give you wrap around protection?

I can say that I have a First-Spear "The Slick" carrier and a pair of USPalm plate backers (that are IIIa rated), those plus the slick carrier = nearly invisible under your shirt.

JPLMedic
24 December 2013, 19:24
ZKK. Thank you, lots of great info over there.

Sorry I don't know what BALCS is. I am open to something other than the standard vest. It's just what I am aware of so it's what I was thinking.

One of the reasons, other than those stated, that I want to wear some type of armor; is the significant blunt force protection provided. In the event of a crash there are a lot of heavy things in the back of my boo boo bus that become projectiles.
Would a plate set up you speak of provide the some type of protection?
Are the plates soft?

UWone77
24 December 2013, 20:38
I think a nice LEVEL III vest will suit your needs. Chances are you won't have to deal with as many dirty birds as the Police, but if you do, that level III vest with a trauma plate will cover 99% of what you may encounter.

Do you have a LE/Security type store in your area? I only ask because for something you may have to wear 8,10,12+ hours a day, you want something that fits your body. I'm lucky enough where our Dept has reps from the companies we buy for come measure us and fit test us. In the end, it ends up being a much better fit than trying to guess what may work from looking on the internet. When you get fitted make sure you get at least a 2" overlap on the sides. That's where the armor is most vulnerable if you don't get adequate coverage. I've personally worn a Second Chance vest 8 out of the last 12 years. I had a Point Blank vest as well. The Point Blank in my opinion was not as comfortable.

MoxyDave
25 December 2013, 14:55
Nutnfancy did a video on some interesting new armor recently:

It looks pretty sweet for daily use. Lightweight, very capable ... check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmFjEQGI9Q

ZKK
26 December 2013, 03:53
I think a nice LEVEL III vest will suit your needs. Chances are you won't have to deal with as many dirty birds as the Police, but if you do, that level III vest with a trauma plate will cover 99% of what you may encounter.

Do you have a LE/Security type store in your area? I only ask because for something you may have to wear 8,10,12+ hours a day, you want something that fits your body. I'm lucky enough where our Dept has reps from the companies we buy for come measure us and fit test us. In the end, it ends up being a much better fit than trying to guess what may work from looking on the internet. When you get fitted make sure you get at least a 2" overlap on the sides. That's where the armor is most vulnerable if you don't get adequate coverage. I've personally worn a Second Chance vest 8 out of the last 12 years. I had a Point Blank vest as well. The Point Blank in my opinion was not as comfortable.

Yup, fit is extremely important. Most leos and private security I've been involved with mainly uses Point Blank and Second Chance, I've had both. They are both cut different, I had an issue due to not size but shape of the armor. Same size but when I would sit it was way to tall, I lived with it but the first chance I got I traded it in. I found I like a little smaller vest just for mobility. I still have an almost new level III and have lost some weight since then, I feel like a turtle that can't move it's arms or bend at the waist at all when I put it on now. Really gotta try them on to get the best fit. As suggested, if you can find a store to try one on if you can.

Enjoy the heat, sweat and stink. I hope I never have to wear a vest ever again. But I guess better safe than sorry, crazy people everywhere. Stay safe

JPLMedic
10 February 2014, 17:11
Update.

Thank you all for your input and advice. I ended up purchasing a PointBlank III vest. I think it will work great for me.

Again thank you all for the input. Lots of good info that helped me with my decision.

DutyUse
12 September 2014, 00:19
... I've personally worn a Second Chance vest 8 out of the last 12 years. I had a Point Blank vest as well. The Point Blank in my opinion was not as comfortable.

The second chance is quite nice