PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE Stock

Stickman
8 August 2008, 15:38
Magpul is releasing their new MOE Stock, and while the release info is up in the new accessories section, this seems like a good place to talk about any pros, cons, or questions you can think of.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_6804%201028%20Stick.jpg

JAH-23
8 August 2008, 17:32
Stick, without the friction lock, does it wobble like a standard stock or does it snug up similar to a CTR?

Stickman
8 August 2008, 19:29
I have had one for a little while, and it is still very tight on the receiver extension (buffer tube).

TigerStripe
8 August 2008, 20:15
I have had one for a little while, and it is still very tight on the receiver extension (buffer tube).

Commercial or milspec?

TS

Stickman
8 August 2008, 20:23
I meant to say that I've been using a milspec one for awhile.

TigerStripe
8 August 2008, 20:27
I meant to say that I've been using a milspec one for awhile.

I just read your post over there... Thanks!

TS

jeffy
8 August 2008, 20:31
So would it be safe to say, it's as tight as a CTR without the friction lock engaged?

Stickman
8 August 2008, 21:18
So would it be safe to say, it's as tight as a CTR without the friction lock engaged?

The one I have is slightly tighter than my CTRs (without the friction lock engaged). I should point out that mine is an early one, and a sample of one at this point. I'm sure they will all be pretty snug, but I don't know if they will all be as snug as mine is.

Ryo
9 January 2009, 20:24
Just wondering.. is there any advantage of having the MOE over the CTR or the CTR over the MOE? Looks like the MOE doesn't have the friction level like the CTR.

Stickman
9 January 2009, 21:20
Just wondering.. is there any advantage of having the MOE over the CTR or the CTR over the MOE? Looks like the MOE doesn't have the friction level like the CTR.

Ryo,

The MOE stock lacks the cam lock, and the QD mount. That may sound like a big deal, but when I look at how I use the CTR on my patrol carbine, I use neither of those features. Then again, I keep the stock in very close, and shoot nose to charging handle (NTCH).

Ryo
9 January 2009, 21:26
Well I'll probably just sell it anycase. I have a LMT SOPMOD, Magpul UBR (multiple), and Magpul CTR. Thanks for the info.

Army Chief
9 January 2009, 23:05
I'm not so sure that I would be in a rush to take the MOE off and replace it with anything. I do like the SOPMOD stock a great deal, but the CTR form factor seems to bring all of the same advantages into play according to my usage (I don't need battery storage at the rear of the gun), and it would seem that the MOE sacrifices nothing in that department to it's upscale cousin.

I'm looking forward to a bit of personal T&E with the MOE, and if a change is needed, the UBR, forthcoming ACS, and even the CTR itself all seem long on potential. My long-standing preference for the SOPMOD may actually be waning.

AC

Ryo
20 January 2009, 09:38
I got my Noveske rifle and the MOE butt stock feels just as solid as the CTR. It comes with the rubber buttstock while the CTR I bought, I had to buy it separately. Only thing I see that the CTR over the MOE is the QD push button socket, and the locking mechanism, otherwise it looks exactly the same..

The UBR already pushed my SOPMOD to 2nd place. Debating whether to sell my SOPMOD. SOPMOD was great at the time i got it, but I hated the tubes.. couldn't get to the batteries that easily without disassemble.

ZDL
21 January 2009, 23:37
for what it's worth. I have 2. One is tight, the other is not. Almost as loose as the standard stock.

Changing stocks accentuates the properties. With one becoming SUPER tight and the other being VERY loose.

Ryo
22 January 2009, 01:57
for what it's worth. I have 2. One is tight, the other is not. Almost as loose as the standard stock.

Changing stocks accentuates the properties. With one becoming SUPER tight and the other being VERY loose.

When you say one is tight, the other loose, is this being placed on the same tube? Mine also has a little wiggle for the CTR and the MOE.

ZDL
22 January 2009, 02:10
Let me explain. 2 lmt lowers, 2 moe stocks. both identically ordered to match.

2 lowers 2 moe stocks

lower a stock a = tight

lower b stock b = loose

lower a stock b = SUPER tight

lower b stock a = SUPER loose

ramcharger
27 April 2009, 14:02
I need your opinions. I'm putting together a Mesa Tactical stock on my 870 with there enidine buffer. How will they deal with the recoil and which would you guys recommend as a stock, MOE or CTR? I'm concerned with the increase in recoil shaking it loose. Thank You

Ryo
27 April 2009, 16:20
If your only choice is between the MOE Or the CTR.. go with the CTR, based on your concerns. The MOE and CTR are essentially the same, but the CTR has a friction lock. I have both, and would use either one.

federalist22
27 April 2009, 16:29
Let me explain. 2 lmt lowers, 2 moe stocks. both identically ordered to match.

2 lowers 2 moe stocks

lower a stock a = tight

lower b stock b = loose

lower a stock b = SUPER tight

lower b stock a = SUPER loose
Did you check the size of your buffer tubes and the sizes of your MOE stocks--Magpul makes Commerical and MilSpec size stocks to fit Commercial and MilSpec size tubes? That could explain the loose vs. tight fitting on each one.

I have a Magpul MOE stock on a VLTOR MilSpec 5-pos tube on my S&W M&P15ORC --snug as a bug.

From Midway: Buffer tubes come either as Mil-Spec or Commercial diameter. The Mil-Spec buffer tube is 1.148" in diameter while the Commercial buffer tube is 1.168" in diameter. The standard is Mil-Spec.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv358/federalist22/SW_MP15ORC_FoliageGreen.jpg

Magpul furniture, DD Piston Omega 7 Rail, Ares Piston (Bushmaster retro-fit), Gear Sector Sling/Mount, Aimpoint Comp ML3, ADM Cantilever, Bobro Grip, Badger TacLatch, Wilson Oversize Bolt Release, Norgon Ambi-mag Release, ---need Magpul MBUS in foliage green.....bad.

ramcharger
27 April 2009, 17:26
Ryo,
What other options do you have. I have a sopmod on my AR. Love it, but it's a little pricey for the 870. I want some sort of pad, thin as it may be, other than just an M4. I'm all ears.
Thanks