PDA

View Full Version : 2 MOA vs. 4 MOA dot?

jvencius
9 August 2008, 05:22
For those of you who've used both (or hell, used just one of them), is there much real-world difference between the usability/visibility of a 2 MOA and 4 MOA dot size in an Aimpoint sight? I'm torn between the ML2 and ML3 sight and the availability of a 2 MOA dot in the ML3 has me leaning that way. I would like to keep the option open of using a magnifier at some point and it seems that the smaller dot would be a little less in-the-way than the bigger dot. When I was at the gun shop yesterday I had a M2 in one hand and a M3 in the other to look through them side-by-side and I couldn't appreciate any difference in dot sizes so my simple little brain is confused...

m24shooter
9 August 2008, 05:34
At Aimpoint ranges, I don't know that it would really matter. The larger dot will be easier to pick up, but will cover more of the target. Again, at the ranges you would probably be using it at that isn't going to be a major issue. At 200 and 300 yards is where it will really start making a difference, and you could actually use the dots as a BDC (like shotgun shooters use "stacking the bead") and the differences between a 4" dot and a 6" dot will start to be seen.
Ultimately it looks like a mox nix deal to me. My M68 has a 3 MOA dot that has never covered up too much but has been easy to pick up. I don't think you would regret either one.

jvencius
9 August 2008, 05:53
Cool--thanks. I'm leaning toward the 2MOA dot for a couple of reasons. If I turned the brightness up a notch or two I didn't have any trouble picking out the smaller dot against even a red background and it's not as if one or two settings brighter would really make a difference in a 50,000 hour battery life. Also, like you said, the magnifier would be a bit easier to use with the smaller dot out to the ~300m. realistic range for an AR carbine.

Eric
9 August 2008, 07:02
For those of you who've used both (or hell, used just one of them), is there much real-world difference between the usability/visibility of a 2 MOA and 4 MOA dot size in an Aimpoint sight? The difference is really minimal. A few months ago I was at a trade show and the Aimpoint folks were nice enough to show me each one side by side.

Stickman
9 August 2008, 07:25
The difference is really minimal.

How much the intensity is dialed up has made more of a difference for me than the model.

jvencius
9 August 2008, 07:28
How much the intensity is dialed up has made more of a difference for me than the model.

Exactly! I had the ML2 and M3 side-by-side (ML2 in my left hand, M3 in my right) and with the intensity turned up a notch or two with the 2 MOA M3, the dot was just as visible against the same backgrounds as the ML2 with 2x larger dot.

m24shooter
9 August 2008, 08:16
Yup.

RogerTPA
31 August 2008, 18:07
I am looking at the Aimpoint H-1 for my AK variant, but the 4 MOA dot is delaying the purchase, at least until the 2 MOA dot becomes available. I wish someone could invent a Red Dot Sight that you could adjust. A variable adjusted RDS in a 1, 2 and 4 dot MOA would be just about perfect (I know, a pipe dream). :(

austin12gauge
1 September 2008, 10:42
I am looking at the Aimpoint H-1 for my AK variant, but the 4 MOA dot is delaying the purchase, at least until the 2 MOA dot becomes available. I wish someone could invent a Red Dot Sight that you could adjust. A variable adjusted RDS in a 1, 2 and 4 dot MOA would be just about perfect (I know, a pipe dream). :(
Although Micros are marketed as 4 MOA, Aimpoint has said they are closer to 3 than 4 - 3.2 MOA, IIRC.

Topmaul
20 January 2009, 13:38
My red dots are 1.5 and 2 moa I don't like a big dot nor do I want my aiming device to be busy. Just give me a red dot where the bullet is going to hit and that is all I need. As far as intensity goes I have a Russian PK-01 on my CX4 storm Carbine and took second place saturday in a tactical match with it. I was able to hit very small targets at a good distance and avoid no-shoots. My other optic is a 2 moa C-more which may go on my new AR build.

Paulo_Santos
20 January 2009, 19:35
I've had the 2MOA and 4MOA Aimpoints and if you zero them at 100 yards, the dots will not really cover up anything. At 200 yards, the holdover is only a couple of inches, which is right under the dot. At 300 Yards, your holdover is around 10", so the dot will be above the target, near the head. If you zero it at 50 yards, then it will cover up the target at 200 yards.

Make due with what you have.

sodak
20 January 2009, 20:12
I've only used 4 moa aimpoints and although I think they sometimes make it hard for precise shots(one day I decided to shoot some tame prairie dogs with my m4 and it was kinda hard) they might have an advantage in real bright enviroments. Take for example a snow covered area on a sunny day. I found that my 4 moa aimpoint turned to full brightness just worked. I'd be a little worried about finding a 2 moa dot. Does anyone know how a 2 moa aimpoint would handle this? Of course this is a limited scenario for most people, but it does matter some to me.

SERT103
27 January 2009, 07:44
I join the club that says there is not much difference. Like stick said, you can control how big the dot "appears" by adjusting the intensity. Dim for small, bright for big.