PDA

View Full Version : First build problem...

LMMzach
3 January 2014, 13:15
Okay so I'm doing my first build I thought I'd assemble it and play around. Just for the heck of it I pulled the charging handle and it was really tight so I looked around and found this http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/04/abyja2at.jpg

The lower receiver is pushing the charging handle up into the upper making it real tight.

I'm not sure so sure what I should do? The upper and lower are not a matched set but they are both mil spec rainier arms forged parts.

eldogg
3 January 2014, 14:19
HAVE YOU TRIED A DIFFERENT CHARGING HANDLE?

LMMzach
3 January 2014, 15:00
Have not I don t have any others

UWone77
3 January 2014, 15:35
This is just the upper with the Charging handle? Do Bolt Carrier install or any other parts? I wouldn't worry about it too much until you build it up. The top of your upper will get some wear. I'll try to take some pictures later and post them.

Eric
3 January 2014, 16:40
Charging handle contact and wear with the lower is normal. Have you tried lubing it? If you think it's an issue, contact the manufacturer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Colt%20AR15/IMG_0941.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/AR15forme/media/Colt%20AR15/IMG_0941.jpg.html)

LMMzach
3 January 2014, 16:55
That was everything together BCG in everything besides the barrel which I'm waiting on.

I will try lubing it. Was significantly tight tho

UWone77
3 January 2014, 17:09
That was everything together BCG in everything besides the barrel which I'm waiting on.

I will try lubing it. Was significantly tight tho

Does the charging handle move freely in the upper when there is no BCG? There's always a chance the upper or charging handle is out of spec as in the last year people have been cranking out so many parts so fast to keep up with demand. I have no doubt QC has fallen by the waist side, especially with no-name branded items.

The picture Eric posted is what happens with a gun with pretty good use. When you tilt the gun up or down, especially during a malfunction clearance, you will likely put down downward force on the charging handle, causing it to contact the top of the lower. This is perfectly normal. Like I said I wouldn't worry about it until you have it put together and shoot it a bit. Lube generously as most new parts are bone dry.

LMMzach
3 January 2014, 17:21
It moves fine in the upper when it goes past that part of the lower and it retracts just fine. Also moves freely off the rifle. I will try lubing it and checking it out with the rifle all together.

Thanks for the replies and knowledge fellas

Iraqgunz
4 January 2014, 00:46
Unfortunately this happens and I have seen quite a few upper and lower sets that were not mating up and causing this to happen. Until you have it fully assembled (to include the barrel) and then lube it properly there's not much that can be done. I do recommend that you find someone else that has a charging handle and check it. There were some people having issues with Raptors recently.

LMMzach
19 January 2014, 11:21
Little update got the rifle together lubed it up worked the handle a little bit seems to be running good. Still smell a little bit of metal on metal but.

Need sights and head spacing checked then I will post up in the explain ar thread

AaronP220
19 January 2014, 17:19
Both my Mega build and my Ruger SR556 do this.