PDA

View Full Version : One More Light Question?

FortTom
16 January 2014, 17:28
I'm sorry to flood this thread with questions, but I ordered a light from Optics Planet's website, and I might have made a "tactical" (literally) error.
I ordered an Inforce 200 Lumen light with a Momentary On Only switch, which I understand to mean that it is only lit while depressing the switch.
Is this a desirable attribute, or should I have ordered a light with an On/Off switch. I'm speaking from a tactical/practical standpoint.
Please understand that I've never had a need for a weapon light, and this is my first time out with one, which will only be attached when the weapon is stored ready for home defense. (I won't wear it to the range).

Please know that your expertise and answers will be greatly appreciated. I hope I didn't screw up.

Thanks ahead,
FT

browcs
16 January 2014, 17:53
FT, from a practical standpoint, mission needs should dictate whether you need momentary on or constant on (one with an "on-off" switch). That said, one common problem with some folks using weapon lights is turning it on and keeping it on forever and a day. I use momentary on all of the time. Time/expenses permitting, I encourage you to take a quality class with low-light shooting. They'll square you away in use/deployment of a weapon light.

Keep the questions coming, sir....no need to apologize!

FortTom
16 January 2014, 18:06
FT, from a practical standpoint, mission needs should dictate whether you need momentary on or constant on (one with an "on-off" switch). That said, one common problem with some folks using weapon lights is turning it on and keeping it on forever and a day. I use momentary on all of the time. Time/expenses permitting, I encourage you to take a quality class with low-light shooting. They'll square you away in use/deployment of a weapon light.

Keep the questions coming, sir....no need to apologize!
Thank you. Never had a weapon light in the military, and now, wanting one, primarily for HD, I didn't realize just how much thought goes into, well a flashlight. Who would have thought?
I might just look into a low light class, I've seen them advertised, but never thought I had a reason to attend one, now that I'm retired, and a light would basically be a home/property defense proposition.

Thanks,
FT

tappedandtagged
18 January 2014, 00:47
As an LEO, I like momentary on far more than straight on or off. I can illuminate what I need to see quickly and then just remove my thumb as to not give my position away. In a HD role, you don't want a light on all the time "screaming" your location to the intruder. I've taken several low light courses with both live fire and simmuntions. Momentary is the way to go on a weapon mounted light for defense.

schambers
18 January 2014, 07:09
tappedandtagged hit it onthe nose, in that you don't want to have the light on constantly.

The general school of through is that weapon lights should be primarily used momentarily to aid in navigation and identification, using reflected light to see things as opposed to focused light.

Obviously constant on/ pressure switches both have their place, but you didn't make a bad choice by any means.

Take a class.