PDA

View Full Version : .22 suppressor or shotgun?

schambers
17 January 2014, 13:37
So I've been turning this argument over in my head for the past few weeks and I can't seem to come to a solid conclusion. The basic question is; which item would have more utility, a .22 suppressor or a shotgun?

Some arguments for the suppressor: should probably get it before restrictions on trusts become more restrictive. Would definitely be nice to have for home defense and shooting with the kid (which will be here eventually). Shotgun will likely not be used for home defense, we have pistols for that. I have rifles for hunting. I currently do not own a suppressor. Suppressors on any weapon look cool.

Some arguments for the shotgun: a local gun store has a good deal on a Wilson 870 that's almost to good to pass up, and I'm afraid it will go relatively quickly. Need more training/ need to remain proficient with the weapon platform. I'm currently with a unit that is in the field for long periods of time and can deploy at any time. I do not want to go through the NFA process only to have to pick up the suppressor while I am in the field or deployed. I do not own a shotgun. Shotguns are cool.

I was hoping to get some outsides opinions. I've been thinking about this so long that my arguments are becoming more focused on what would be more useful in a SHFT situation and have lost touch with reality a bit.

Outside opinions are needed!

mustangfreek
17 January 2014, 14:09
im trying to tell myself the same, jump into the silencer game-albeit a little late or save up for more parts..

Im leaning towards a 22 can as i have a couple 22 hosts already and looking at getting a fv-sr savage 22 bolt action for fun..

UWone77
17 January 2014, 15:14
This is an easy one.The suppressor. NFA items maybe tougher to obtain due to possible legislation. You can buy a shotgun anytime.

MoxyDave
17 January 2014, 15:33
This is an easy one.The suppressor. NFA items maybe tougher to obtain due to possible legislation. You can buy a shotgun anytime.

Ditto. Despite waiting forever to receive it, get a can while you still can.

You can teach the kid to shoot with a cheap .22lr pistol and a silencer, and it will positively affect the rest of his life. Plus shooting a silenced .22lr pistol is just FUN (funner?)! Better yet, get 2 and a dueling tree and you can shoot all day for very low cost and have a super good time.

tappedandtagged
17 January 2014, 21:07
I also vote for the can. If you go the trust route, you can send your wife/sibling/parent whose on the trust to pick it up as long as they live in the same state as you. No worries about being deployed when the stamp comes back. As far as the Wilson Combat shotty, with it being your first, an 870 tactical will do you just fine. You'd need to do a lot of shotgun work to see the advantages of the Wilson improvements.

That being said, I would get a used 870 or 500 for ~$200 AND the silencer. Actually, I did just that this past year. Although the silencer was a 5.56 can (my first) and the shotgun was my 4th.

Eric
18 January 2014, 11:47
Some arguments for the suppressor: should probably get it before restrictions on trusts become more restrictive. Would definitely be nice to have for home defense and shooting with the kid (which will be here eventually)l. You need to seriously rethink the use of a .22 for home defense.

mustangfreek
19 January 2014, 03:14
I really want to get a can or 2 before this new mumbo jumbo sets in, any news on when the cleo sign off or change will happen?

Say it happens in 6 months and i send in paperwork next month think i will be fine and exempt from the new law/rules?

Looking at a 22 can and either a 45 or 762 can

gatordev
19 January 2014, 16:16
The 6 months is the "best guess" on when anything more will be done. They still have to go through many of the comments. Then there has to be something actually enacted, which also takes time. Here's a fairly educated take on the situation:

http://americansilencerassociation.com/an-update-on-41p/

Also, perusing the NFA Collectors Association (or something like that...Google it) forums is an interesting read. There's some wanking by the same 3 members, but the input by the president is usually pretty well thought out and interesting.

schambers
20 January 2014, 10:07
well, I've decided against the shotgun...

After thinking about it a lot more, the shotgun doesn't offer me a lot of utility and as stated above, I can get a less expensive model for GP.

Damn you all for keeping me from instant gratification!

tappedandtagged
20 January 2014, 16:58
Dude, I said get both! How's that keeping you from instant gratification??

On the other hand, what cans are you looking at?

schambers
21 January 2014, 06:45
AAC and Gemtech were going to be my first looks, simply because I have more experience with the brands.

I've also been told that its bossible to use a a 9mm suppressor on a .22? Any advantage/ disadvantage to doing this?

mustangfreek
22 January 2014, 01:31
i was talking with someone the other day on the subject of 22 cans and he mentioned the huntertown guardian 22 can as a good entry level rimfire can and is on par with ones double in its price range.

heres a article i found today while looking for info on the new version that just came out, $200 plus tax and then the stamp $$, i have no cans but this seems like a possibly good way to get into this next level of addiction..lol

http://www.thebangswitch.com/new-guardian-22-suppressor/

Jerry R
22 January 2014, 06:10
I would vote for the suppressor as well. I think you might score more squirrels with a suppressed .22 than a noisy shotgun; and a lot of fun too.

schambers
30 January 2014, 17:41
So just an update, the wife brought up wanting to get into trap and skeet shooting... So it looks like it's going to be shotgun time for a while.

DMViergever
31 January 2014, 04:48
Man...get the suppressor! I bought my .223 can and the got a Griffin Armament Checkmate .22 also and I don't shoot wothout a can now. Some see them as novelty but to me, especially the .223 as it is on my home defense rifle, is a necessity.

I also would like to try and steer you away from the .22 for SD purposes. While it may be better than nothing...there are certainly better options if you have them.

GOST
31 January 2014, 05:06
I vote tax stamp for SBR lower and Belgian Malinois for home defense. What do you these weren't listed choices?

schambers
14 February 2014, 17:53
So after shooting a suppressed rifle the other day, the wife has been convinced that a suppressor is a good idea. So I guess the question now is Osprey or Saker? Host weapon for the osprey will likely be a 1911. Host weapon for the saker will likely be an SBR. Thoughts? Trust has been set up. Just waiting in the weather to clear up over here and the class IIi dealer to open for business again.