PDA

View Full Version : Magpul B.A.D. Lever Review

RoundsDownRange
21 January 2014, 17:42
Some of my viewers asked me to do a short video on the functionality and installation of the Magpul B.A.D. Lever. I find this product to be an invaluable piece of gear for my M4/AR15 platform rifles. Especially at the $25-ish price-point. I am able to keep the weapon in the ready, my hand on the fire-control, and get back in to battery much more quickly than using the bolt catch while having the weapon out of the ready in my work space. What are your thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pft04yINYSI&feature=share&list=UU1_q5AYVCHEToeGvY6m7ngg

RoundsDownRange
21 January 2014, 18:05
I've had one of these on every AR platform rifle I've owned. It is not a necessity but is a welcome and invaluable addition. What are your thoughts?

RoundsDownRange
21 January 2014, 18:12
This video shows the functionality and installation of the Magpul B.A.D. Lever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pft04yINYSI&list=UU1_q5AYVCHEToeGvY6m7ngg&feature=share

bzdog
21 January 2014, 18:20
I'd rather have a true ambi lower like the AXTS AX556.

-john

RoundsDownRange
21 January 2014, 18:38
Interesting. I've never seen this lower before. Looks like you would still have to come out of the ready and remove your hand from the fire-control to engage the bolt stop on either side. Have had a chance to run this lower?

bzdog
21 January 2014, 20:04
Bolt and mag release duplicated on both sides where you'd expect and can be reached without taking hand off of fire control.

The bolt CATCH is integrated into the right side mag release and can be activated without taking your hand from fire control from the right side.

The bolt catch works normally on the left where you can perform bolt catch on the left side using the traditional method of pressing the lower half of the bolt lever.

-john

RoundsDownRange
21 January 2014, 20:17
Very nice! That would be perfect. I'll have to add this to the video roster of potential reviews to do. Thanks for the info!

bzdog
21 January 2014, 20:46
It's also beautiful.

-john

rob_s
22 January 2014, 03:29
I'd rather have a true ambi lower like the AXTS AX556.

-john

I have both, and I wouldn't.

voodoo_man
22 January 2014, 04:38
Reblogged.

Good review.

bzdog
22 January 2014, 05:38

Admittedly, I only have AX556 lowers and not the BAD lever so I don't have both data points, but perhaps you could include your reasoning?

-john

rob_s
22 January 2014, 08:27
The AXTS is heavy, expensive, and proprietary while the BAD is lightweight, inexpensive, and mounts and functions on any lower (provided that it's a quality lower filled with quality parts that the owner has resisted fiddle-farting with).

bzdog
22 January 2014, 10:13
OK, just curious where you were coming from.

FWIW, throwing a stripped AX556 on the scale (but with proprietary parts installed) I get 336 grams or 11.9oz. My web searching suggests a Noveske Gen II stripped is about 10oz. So sounds like the delta is about 2oz depending on your lower.

My 300 BLK with Noveske upper, 16" SS Noveske barrel, AAC 51T flashhider, 13.5" NSR, Surefire X300U, Troy full size flip down sights, Aimpoint H1 with Tango cover & LT660, Raptor CH, BAD ASS, STR, MIAD and misc. comes to 8.03lbs.

Add Vickers padded sling & straps to hold sling to stock for storage = 8.55lbs. Clearly not lightweight, but I'm not sure I'd say it was heavy and basically no real concessions to weight.

-john

RoundsDownRange
23 January 2014, 06:43

Thanks, Voodoo_man! Much appreciated!

RoundsDownRange
23 January 2014, 06:44
Reblogged.

Good review.

Thanks, Voodoo_man! Much appreciated!