PDA

View Full Version : Rail guard/cover?

jvencius
13 August 2008, 08:22
Since I have a LaRue 9" rail on the way for my Sabre middy, I'm going to need some rail covers and I'm not sure which ones to get. The ladder-type seem nifty since they aren't too chunky and it would seem silly to put really fat rail covers on such a slim handguard. OTOH, from the little I've read, the new Magpul XTM guards seem to be quite the cat's ass, aren't too thick, and I like the idea of being able to put 'em on where I want, even in the middle of a rail w/o removing whatever doodads I might have hung on the rail already. Soooo, which ones should I go with (or should I mix/match types) and where's a good place to get them?

Stickman
13 August 2008, 08:44
I tend to throw the ladder covers on my rails once I install them, and from there, I figure out what its going to be used for and go from there. The DD Lite rails come with ladder covers, so its not like it cost anything extra. Ladders don't give the same protection as a cover, but they beat a bare rail which can work as a cheese grater on exposed surfaces.

For total rail protection, the hard covers are probably the best way to go. KAC panels can be found cheap sometimes, but you don't' want to get airsoft knockoffs.

I use Magpuls new XTM panels, and have been very happy with the amount of abuse they will take, how easily they install, how tight they lock up, and how I can stick them where I want.

RallySoob
15 August 2008, 14:26
I tend to throw the ladder covers on my rails once I install them, and from there, I figure out what its going to be used for and go from there. The DD Lite rails come with ladder covers, so its not like it cost anything extra. Ladders don't give the same protection as a cover, but they beat a bare rail which can work as a cheese grater on exposed surfaces.

For total rail protection, the hard covers are probably the best way to go. KAC panels can be found cheap sometimes, but you don't' want to get airsoft knockoffs.

I use Magpuls new XTM panels, and have been very happy with the amount of abuse they will take, how easily they install, how tight they lock up, and how I can stick them where I want.

who has these in stock in multi colors? I went to order from magpul and my cart total became tweaked so I went to rainier to find he only has black. I wanna do the camo look with all 4 colors...

Stickman
15 August 2008, 17:14
who has these in stock in multi colors? I went to order from magpul and my cart total became tweaked so I went to rainier to find he only has black. I wanna do the camo look with all 4 colors...

I'm not sure that all colors have been released yet, and if they have, its been in a pretty small amount. From what I understand, the assorted colors should be ready pretty soon, which should make quite a few people happy.

jeffy
15 August 2008, 17:55
I'm not sure that all colors have been released yet, and if they have, its been in a pretty small amount. From what I understand, the assorted colors should be ready pretty soon, which should make quite a few people happy.

They are listed on Magpuls website BUT, as of June 20th, I am still waiting for both green's.

I also noticed the UBR's are listed in all 4 colors as well. I'll hold off till, they actually start shipping them. ;)

TigerStripe
15 August 2008, 19:30
They are listed on Magpuls website BUT, as of June 20th, I am still waiting for both green's.

I also noticed the UBR's are listed in all 4 colors as well. I'll hold off till, they actually start shipping them. ;)

It's a good thing you ordered back then. People (like me) who haven't ordered them or only ordered recently won't get any for a while. Unless your first name is Stick and your last name is Man... [:D]

TS

jeffy
15 August 2008, 20:19
It's a good thing you ordered back then. People (like me) who haven't ordered them or only ordered recently won't get any for a while. Unless your first name is Stick and your last name is Man... [:D]

TS

I've still gotta wait for the UBR though. I thought about getting a pre-pro but I wanted FDE. I'm vain like that. ;) So I bought a CTR in FDE. Haven't even shot it but I'm already thinking about changing stuff... [crazy]

TigerStripe
15 August 2008, 20:41
I've still gotta wait for the UBR though. I thought about getting a pre-pro but I wanted FDE. I'm vain like that. ;) So I bought a CTR in FDE. Haven't even shot it but I'm already thinking about changing stuff... [crazy]

That's how it goes. Once you get the virus new guns and new toys for them are like brains are for zombies. I'm waiting in vain for Magpul to start producing their line in Coyote Brown...

TS