PDA

View Full Version : Magpul B.A.D. Lever

FortTom
21 January 2014, 21:40
I've been interested in a B.A.D. Lever for quite a while, but when I encounter expert trainers, or see them in video's, I don't notice an overwhelming majority of them using one.

Wondered if I could get some of your thoughts on one. I've watched the videos, plus the video in a current thread here, and they look like the best thing since smokeless powder, but again, I really don't see many in use.

Thanks,
FT

GOST
22 January 2014, 10:33
I personally like them. I'm running the Phase 5 version on my Noveske.

Computalotapus
22 January 2014, 11:16
I run the Phase 5 EBRv2 as well and I like the function of it. I like using my trigger finger to catch and release the bolt.

I still practice using the bolt catch like normal as well, but the latch makes manipulation of the battery more streamlined

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustangfreek
22 January 2014, 14:50
I have been thinking of trying one also.

Hmac
22 January 2014, 15:14
I had one on a couple of rifles a few years ago. I eventually found that I didn't need the minimal speed advantage that that manual of arms provided. I came to view them as kind of a gimmick and pulled them off. Some people have written about them occasionally preventing the bolt from locking back. I never had that problem, just didn't find them to be any big deal fir my particular use.

AaronP220
22 January 2014, 17:08
I ran one and loved it until I installed a Norgon ambi mag release. Then it came off and I don't really miss it. Used it because is was there, but didn't really need it.

FortTom
22 January 2014, 17:08
One thing that concerned me was when wearing gloves that I always do, when shooting at an outdoor range, or somehow catching my trigger finger in it somehow, maybe during an actual emergency, preventing me from firing. I've never heard of that being an issue, but then again, I don't know any of my shooting friends that use one. I have a Magpul trigger guard installed on all 3 guns, but it really doesn't give you a lot of extra room.

On the other hand, they cost about $25.00. I'm not wealthy, but that's not an terrible loss if I don't like them, just the hassle of ordering them (LGS doesn't carry them, have to get it on the net.) The guy in the video makes it look so clean and efficient, but don't they always?

I'll see if I get a few more replies and see how it shakes out. I'm a natural "tinkerer", so at worst, it won't be the worst hit I've taken buying something that went on and came off after 1 or 2 trips to the range.

Thanks for your time and replies.

FT

FortTom
22 January 2014, 17:11
I ran one and loved it until I installed a Norgon ambi mag release. Then it came off and I don't really miss it. Used it because is was there, but didn't really need it.

That's interesting, I'll have to check that out...

Thanks,
FT

Computalotapus
22 January 2014, 18:40
One thing that concerned me was when wearing gloves that I always do, when shooting at an outdoor range, or somehow catching my trigger finger in it somehow, maybe during an actual emergency, preventing me from firing. I've never heard of that being an issue, but then again, I don't know any of my shooting friends that use one. I have a Magpul trigger guard installed on all 3 guns, but it really doesn't give you a lot of extra room.

On the other hand, they cost about $25.00. I'm not wealthy, but that's not an terrible loss if I don't like them, just the hassle of ordering them (LGS doesn't carry them, have to get it on the net.) The guy in the video makes it look so clean and efficient, but don't they always?

I'll see if I get a few more replies and see how it shakes out. I'm a natural "tinkerer", so at worst, it won't be the worst hit I've taken buying something that went on and came off after 1 or 2 trips to the range.

FT

FT if you don't like it I will take it off your hands. So figure it as a T&E session with it. If you like it keep it if not message me and I will take it off your hands will pay you what you got into it +shipping.

RoundsDownRange
22 January 2014, 19:42
Hi, FortTom. Thanks for your inquiry. I have had them on each one of my AR's. I can tell you that it has improved the efficiency with which I recover from feed issues(training or real), or when simply changing out magazines. It's certainly not a necessity, but it does make getting back into battery quicker as I stay in the ready and don't have to transition from my workspace back into the ready. It's one of those devices that is so inexpensive and easy to install, it's well worth giving it a shot to see what you think. BTW: I could have swore I saw Travis Haley the BL on one of his M4's. Good luck and let me know what you think if you do decide to pick one up. I'd be surprised if you find there is no value add.

RoundsDownRange
22 January 2014, 19:43
Nice! I've always had one on my M4/AR15's.

RoundsDownRange
22 January 2014, 19:45
I run the Phase 5 EBRv2 as well and I like the function of it. I like using my trigger finger to catch and release the bolt.

I still practice using the bolt catch like normal as well, but the latch makes manipulation of the battery more streamlined

I completely agree. I tell folks, it doesn't make you a better shooter but makes your rifle a bit more efficient machine.

RoundsDownRange
22 January 2014, 19:45
I have been thinking of trying one also.

They are relatively inexpensive. Worth trying out for sure.

RoundsDownRange
22 January 2014, 19:48
I had one on a couple of rifles a few years ago. I eventually found that I didn't need the minimal speed advantage that that manual of arms provided. I came to view them as kind of a gimmick and pulled them off. Some people have written about them occasionally preventing the bolt from locking back. I never had that problem, just didn't find them to be any big deal fir my particular use.

That makes sense, Hmac. When it all boils down, you've got to run what makes sense for your on your rifle. If there is no value add, increased efficiency, etc. then it's just taking up space. I found the opposite was true in my case, but that was me.

RoundsDownRange
22 January 2014, 19:53

This is what I love about forums/blogs, you discover things you've never heard of. Does the Norgon Ambi Mag Release act as a bolt catch as well?

RoundsDownRange
22 January 2014, 19:57

FT

FortTom, I think the glove concern is the most commonly noted concern regarding that device. After running them on my rifles for a few years, I have yet to encounter that issue. That said, I don't find it implausible that it could occur, just not likely. In the end, you gotta go with what you have confidence. The simple fact that you are concerned about it could impact the way you shoot while running one on your rifle(in my opinion at least).

AaronP220
22 January 2014, 20:47
FT - I have a few I'm not using. PM me your info and I'll mail it out free of charge. If you don't like it, feel free to sell it.

AaronP220
22 January 2014, 20:54
FWIW - it does make weapon manipulation easier if you like to keep a firing grip at all times. I don't mind releasing a firing grip. If I'm using the BAD lever, it's likely because I'm in a double feed and working a problem and I'm going to drop grip anyway. What I do like is being able to use my reaction thumb to depress the bolt catch while my reaction hand holds the gun and my primary hand works the charging handle, then use my reaction thumb to depress the magazine release while using my reaction hand rips the magazine out and my primary hand is taking a firing grip again and ready to get back into business.

FortTom
23 January 2014, 14:55
FT if you don't like it I will take it off your hands. So figure it as a T&E session with it. If you like it keep it if not message me and I will take it off your hands will pay you what you got into it +shipping.

That's a heck of an offer. I'll go you one better. If I don't like it, you can have it. Seriously, they don't cost much, so, I'm not worried about that, I'm just concerned about "obstruction" issues. Especially with gloves.
However, there's a 2014 'Vett I'd like to drive for a couple of months, and then sell to you plus shipping if I can't afford....I mean if I don't like it...[:D]

FT

FortTom
23 January 2014, 15:18
FortTom, I think the glove concern is the most commonly noted concern regarding that device.
..... The simple fact that you are concerned about it could impact the way you shoot while running one on your rifle(in my opinion at least).

You know, that's pretty insightful. When I modify any weapon, pistol or rifle, I'm always, at least conscience of something new and a bit concerned, depending on what it is. I've never really factored that in to the equation, though, of how that may affect my normal operation of the weapon. I wonder if that's common, or just me being over cautious. However, after an hour or so of "nothing" happening, those sub conscience thoughts sort of drift away, and it's like nothing ever changed. Maybe a new field of sports medicine could grow from this. We could have "Shooting Shrinks"....O.K., not funny but that is something to think about, as far as how a new option could impact the way one thinks while operating the weapon.

FT

RoundsDownRange
23 January 2014, 16:39
You know, that's pretty insightful. When I modify any weapon, pistol or rifle, I'm always, at least conscience of something new and a bit concerned, depending on what it is. I've never really factored that in to the equation, though, of how that may affect my normal operation of the weapon. I wonder if that's common, or just me being over cautious. However, after an hour or so of "nothing" happening, those sub conscience thoughts sort of drift away, and it's like nothing ever changed. Maybe a new field of sports medicine could grow from this. We could have "Shooting Shrinks"....O.K., not funny but that is something to think about, as far as how a new option could impact the way one thinks while operating the weapon.

FT

Haha [Googling "Shooting Shrink Degrees"]. Anything to get out of IT. LOL

gatordev
23 January 2014, 17:11
That's a heck of an offer. I'll go you one better. If I don't like it, you can have it. Seriously, they don't cost much, so, I'm not worried about that, I'm just concerned about "obstruction" issues. Especially with gloves.

FT

Another data point for you... Because of lovely California, I run two lowers in a configuration that allows me to drop mags like a normal person and/or run 30 round mags legally, however, it causes the grip to change and it's "less easy" to manipulate the weapon to lock the bolt open (and release it on reloads, although not as much). As a result of this, I've put a B.A.D Lever on both of the lowers and have run them regularly.

I've also started wearing gloves (SKD PIG gloves, which are really nice) when I go shoot in the desert. On Monday, I did a little more run and gun stuff with gloves out there (and an annoying mag feed problem on my 5.45 gun requiring lots of malfunction drills) and I didn't find the gloves or the lever to be an issue with one another. It's not a lot of data points, but so far, gloves seem pretty low impact with it sitting there.

All that said, once I get rid of the CA compliant stuff in a few weeks, I don't know that I'll keep the levers on there. I'll probably throw one on my MK12, and maybe keep the other on the run 'n gun lower. They're not bad, but I'm not sure they're as necessary unless you're really trying to whittle down your split times.

FortTom
23 January 2014, 17:53
Another data point for you... Because of lovely California, I run two lowers in a configuration that allows me to drop mags like a normal person and/or run 30 round mags legally, however, it causes the grip to change and it's "less easy" to manipulate the weapon to lock the bolt open (and release it on reloads, although not as much). As a result of this, I've put a B.A.D Lever on both of the lowers and have run them regularly.

I've also started wearing gloves (SKD PIG gloves, which are really nice) when I go shoot in the desert. On Monday, I did a little more run and gun stuff with gloves out there (and an annoying mag feed problem on my 5.45 gun requiring lots of malfunction drills) and I didn't find the gloves or the lever to be an issue with one another. It's not a lot of data points, but so far, gloves seem pretty low impact with it sitting there.

All that said, once I get rid of the CA compliant stuff in a few weeks, I don't know that I'll keep the levers on there. I'll probably throw one on my MK12, and maybe keep the other on the run 'n gun lower. They're not bad, but I'm not sure they're as necessary unless you're really trying to whittle down your split times.

That's an interesting observation GDev, I have SKD PIG gloves also, but mine fit like a second skin, so I'm not really concerned there, but when I can get off my "old" butt, and lay in gravel and such, I wear much heavier glove, name long forgotten, that are much bulkier, almost like the Mechanix type gloves.

I think I'm going to try them on one rifle, and take the other's to the range, and alternate. That's because of all of the replies here. Many differ in opinions, but all make legitimate points. The biggest difference being the user's normal shooting environment, preferences, etc.

I respect all of the opinions that I've read so far. I'll install it and put a good 2 hours practice, if not more with dry fire, then go to the range, and try them with a loaded weapon. Hopefully that'll give me a reference point, because until this snow melts and the temp jumps up from single digits, I won't be going to the outdoor range, but it should still be cold enough for heavy gloves..and still go outside and shoot when temps come back to normal for here.

I hear you Gatordev, as far as CA is concerned. We had a contingency site there that I spent a LOT of time at. Fortunately, I had access to live fire and bombing ranges in the desert, during down times and could give the Governor the obligatory single digit salute, when it came to playing in the dirt. Good Times.

FT.

gatordev
23 January 2014, 18:12
That's an interesting observation GDev, I have SKD PIG gloves also, but mine fit like a second skin, so I'm not really concerned there, but when I can get off my "old" butt, and lay in gravel and such, I wear much heavier glove, name long forgotten, that are much bulkier, almost like the Mechanix type gloves.

You know, I forget there are people that live in places that get below freezing for more than a few days in a row. I can understand your concern with thicker gloves, but I have a feeling that won't be a big deal. And yeah, those PIG gloves are pretty damn tight...literally and figuratively.

I hear you Gatordev, as far as CA is concerned. We had a contingency site there that I spent a LOT of time at. Fortunately, I had access to live fire and bombing ranges in the desert, during down times and could give the Governor the obligatory single digit salute, when it came to playing in the dirt. Good Times.

FT.

I have a feeling that I'm shooting a few (20-some) miles west of those very same ranges you would play in. My latest pic in the Knight's section was where I normally go. If there was a big-ass "sea" nearby, we're in the same basic location. 5 weeks and and counting 'til I get out of here and head back to my other toys. I will miss the beauty of the desert and the mountains though.