PDA

View Full Version : I thought I'd share a good find for an AR barrel.

AaronP220
22 January 2014, 21:18
I recently built what I call my "tier 1" gun (no jokes please). I pretty much knew exactly what I wanted as far as over all specs but when it came to the barrel I only knew two things. 14.5" and it had to be stainless and do MOA (preferably sub) groups.

Naturally all the players were tossed around. Noveske. Rainer Arms. LMT. ETC. A buddy of my used to work for Wilson combat. He told me to go check out their barrels. So I did and what I noticed was price. 14.7" SS pretty beefy profile barrel shooting sub MOA for them for $249. Then I looked at Noveske 14.5" known for good tubes and accuracy. Just under $500 IF you could get it.

So I bit the bullet. I really wanted a Noveske, but I didn't want to wait and the price seemed steep. So I got the Recon barrel from Wilson. It shows up. Quality part as usual from the Wilson guys. Get the gas block slapped on with the tube. Some generous fitting was required to get the barrel into the MEGA billet upper, but I got it home.

http://imgur.com/download/zPMnWh1

Get the rail on all that and get to the range. Load up some green tip and start to zero the ACOG. Get the hits where I want it to be so I shoot a group at 50 yards. 5 shots with my lanky ass on it. I only saw 2 holes in the ACOG. They call cease and I got down to see I shot a first shot flier and then put 4 rounds thru the same hole essentially.

Sweet.

Swap optics to the 4x16x42 Nikon - same round. Bench up at 100 yards. Aim and fire a 5 shot cool barrel group. I only see 3 holes in the scope. Head down and check it. I stack two shots twice. Looks like a single hole and then a lone guy out there waving a flag. Got back to the bench and figured the widest part of that group was .7" with green tip ammo.

And you can repeat on demand as long as it doesn't get too hot.

So for a $250 barrel showing me sub MOA just blows me away.

So if you end up needing a good SS barrel for not a lot of money I'd really say give Wilson a look.

KevinBLC
22 January 2014, 22:04
That's not a bad price for a Wilson.

tappedandtagged
23 January 2014, 02:20
Wilson is in my home State. One day I will own one 1911, one AR and one shotgun from them. But that "one day" is also contingent on me winning the lotto!

jjl103
29 January 2014, 10:25
I was really considering a Wilson Combat barrel for my AR, but noticed the threads on the end. Did you run into any issues with putting on a Muzzle Device?

KevinBLC
29 January 2014, 11:20
I'm not sure I'm a good enough shooter to take advantage of the Wilson Combat barrel. For sub $200, the Rainier Arms Select Barrel is about 1 MOA or less.

AaronP220
29 January 2014, 12:30
I was really considering a Wilson Combat barrel for my AR, but noticed the threads on the end. Did you run into any issues with putting on a Muzzle Device?

Yeah. I'm just running an AAC 7.62 break. M4200 and 762-SDN-6 cans fit on it.