PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Weight

rxer311
25 January 2014, 20:55
I have read a lot about buffer weights and their impact on cycling and how they affect how smooth the rifle shoots. The question for me is, what buffer do I use for MY rifle.

Here is the story. I have a Rainier Arms Select 14.5" middy barrel with a pinned FH that I was going to change up the hand guard on. I took the old hand guard off to inspect and I noticed that one of the screws in my gas block was stripped. Instead of fretting over it, I started thinking outside the box.

Long story short, the barrel was sent to ADCO to have the barrel cut to 13.7" and have a KX3 FH installed on it. Now this is not a really popular barrel length and I would guess that being a middy also makes is a bit different. In its old config I was using a Semi Auto chromed BCG with a standard carbine buffer which was working fine.

I am going to continue to use the SA BCG since I have about 700 rounds through the barrel and BCG. I also don't want to spend over $100 on different weight buffers to find the right one for this application.

So my final question is this. Which weight buffer would you use as a starting point using a 13.7" middy and a SA BCG and why? I know that things might need tweaked, but I am hoping to get it right the first time.

MoxyDave
25 January 2014, 22:11
Hard to say with that unusual combination. Start with a standard buffer and spring, shoot a few hundred rounds and make sure the bolt locks back when everything is dirty. With a mid-length gas system I use a standard spring & buffer. On a carbine length I like to use an H2 and heavy Wolff spring for reliability. Yours is an oddball, only testing will tell but I suspect standard parts will work just fine.

UWone77
26 January 2014, 00:04
After you got it cut down to 13.7" have you shot it yet? I would just see if it works with your existing setup before making any changes. A midlength 13.7" barrel is uncommon, but with a KX3, I willing to bet that the increased back pressure would assist in cycling the gun without issue with a standard carbine or H buffer.

Again, I would just shoot the gun with your existing setup before trying to make changes.

GOST
26 January 2014, 03:50
13.7 is pretty short for a mid length gas system, hopefully you won't have to open up the gas port more. I would start with a carbine buffer.

rxer311
26 January 2014, 06:58
Thanks. I will just run my standard buffer and go from there.

Eric
26 January 2014, 13:03
One of the downsides to running an oddball configuration is the lack of an industry standard or a TDP to follow, so trial and error is more likely to occur. With that said, I'd also use a standard carbine buffer and spring as a starting point and ensure reliable function.

FortTom
26 January 2014, 13:54
If you feel the need for a "H" buffer, I have a new unused that you can have for free. (More buffers than guns). Just PM me with an address and I'll mail it to you. That will save you bucks doing T&E.
FT