PDA

View Full Version : Need 9mm AR help please...

Creeky73
27 January 2014, 16:23
so I have decided to build an AR on the 9mm cartridge. I know I should take my own previous advise to others, and just buy a full gun, but I actually have enough random parts that I THINK can be used, that I believe I can save some cash. And, as can happen, digging around on the internet has raised more questions than it has answered, so I thought I would bring it to the pro's.

Here's my intention: I am gonna get a RRA upper half, which should come with the bcg and all, in other words completely ready to snap onto the appropriate lower receiver. Here is where the questions begin.

the obvious first conundrum is do I get a RRA 9mm-only stripped lower that requires no additional mag well modification, or do I buy a regular lower and add the adapter, like a Hahn or Spikes? The RRA is forged to only accept the 9mm mags, it cannot ever be converted to 5.56 or anything else (maybe 40 SW) while going the other route obviously allows to swap calibers. I have zero interest in converting it to anything else, but the main reason I ask this is because I have noticed that the Spike's mag adapter claims to have a bunch of different adjustments you can make to help the gun run like a top, while I don't know if this is possible or necessary with the RRA lower. If your advise is to use a regular lower and a mag adapter, which one do you recommend and why?

9mm hammer: necessary or not? pro's and con's either way? I have also read a post where someone thought the hammer was striking the bolt catch and eventually breaking it, does this seem possible?

Buffer, buffer tube, and spring: I initially plan on using this with an entry-sized fixed stock from RRA, really short stock. It will eventually be changed to a regular carbine buffer tube. Do I need to use the special Wolfe 9mm spring which is supposedly stiffer, or just a regular carbine spring? Which is better and why between the RRA buffer or the Spikes buffer?

last, which magazines do you recommend and why? The RRA mags look nice but they are pricey, but which ones generally work best, how much do they cost and how available are they?

thanks for your time in advance, guys.

UWone77
28 January 2014, 12:06
Creeky,

I'm curious, what barrel length do you plan on using for the 9mm AR?

Creeky73
28 January 2014, 13:40
pretty much all the uppers are offered in is the basic 16". I would really like to get a 14.5" with the flash hider pinned on, but I don't see anyone offering those, and it isn't serious enough to mess with gunsmithing it.

I think I am just gonna buy a CMMG complete rifle. I was unaware of their product when I wrote the OP, and it looks like I can get one for about what I was looking at piecing one together for. It is about $200-300 less than an RRA complete, and every review I have seen said they run pretty good.

UWone77
31 January 2014, 14:21
Creeky,

My experience to 9mm is limited to shooting some friends guns over the years. However, have you though about just buying a Colt 6951? That's a gun on my short list to buy. You can find them sub 1k depending on how hard you look. I liked the Colt because it shot well and accurate every time I had the opportunity to use one.

Not sure how the Colt stacks up to the CMMG or RRA price wise, but when it comes to guns, I'd rather have the pony.

Creeky73
10 February 2014, 19:48
I hadn't considered that, but after checking on gunbroker, that is definitely an option. the cmmg's are pretty much going for $975 on the low end. The colt doesn't appear to be that much more.