PDA

View Full Version : Project on a Budget, How I Do It

Computalotapus
31 January 2014, 06:10
Getting into the Black Rifle Community on a Budget

We all know the saying “You get what you pay for!” and “Buy once cry once!”. These statements are true in everything you do in life. But just because something is inexpensive doesn’t mean it is poorly made. Doing your homework before you make a purchase can save you a good chunk of money and you are still able to come home with a quality product.
There are all different kinds of people in the Black Rifle community. There are those that can drop two grand easily in one order, then there are those who can pick up pieces every weekend. Me personally I have to save throughout the month to pick up the pieces I want. I am not knocking anyone or complaining we all have worked hard to be where we are at in our lives. I really enjoy building and shooting my rifle and look forward to building and shooting many more in my life. I am the type of person that has other things going on and the rifle is the lowest priority when it comes to funding. This doesn’t mean I skimp out and buy the cheapest part available to make it complete though.

Planning
Your biggest money saver if you are going to build a custom rifle is planning. Do your research, make sure you list out every single part that will go on the project. I start with a OneNote document and break my project down to upper and lower receivers. For each receiver I then break that page down into tabs for each part that is required, from here I list possible manufactures for the parts I want. Once you have a list of the manufacture’s parts you can start breaking it down by vendors. Give yourself options when it comes to vendors but always try and purchase from a reputable vendor. The options you give yourself can save you money when it comes time to buy the part, you never know someone might have a sale running or a discount code available. The money you save can go to getting the next part.

Research
Now that you have a list of the stuff you think you might want from the manufacturers that you have picked out, and the vendors you might buy from, it is time to do your research. My first stop is the forums, I utilize the search function to see if any of the parts I have picked out have had a review done by anyone, if no review I simply ask. While waiting on a reply I go to each vendor sight and read the reviews from their sight if available. This will give you some insight to how well customer service is at each location, you can even pick up on how fast delivery of the product is executed. If you get no answer on the forums or there are no reviews available on the vendor sight your next step is to inquire via email or a phone call. Now the great thing about the inquiring step is that you get to talk to an individual at the vendor or the manufacturer, someone who is knowledgeable on the part/s in question. With the market being very vast majority of the places you are calling/emailing are going to be small to medium business (working class America) so give them time to respond they are very busy. From my personal experience with manufacturers and vendors these personal interactions lead to a wealth of knowledge on products and sometimes spending time leads to a discount but not always.

Building
The order in which you build your rifle is completely up to you. I have found starting with the lower and moving to the upper I feel like I see progress happen quicker. Building the lower is the less expensive of the two and usually the money you save waiting on deals for the lower parts can help you with purchasing the more expensive upper parts. If I had to list which parts I think are the most expensive in the build process I would list barrel, rail, optic, bcg, trigger, and lower receiver. Those are your big ticket items for pretty much every build. Do not skimp out and just pick up the cheapest part. You can find great quality parts at a reasonable price for pretty much any type of rifle you are building. Be patient as you wait for your funds to be in place where you can purchase the next part. Do your research and look for the deals. Talk to the people that know. This community if filled with people who want to help you become better at whatever aspect you choose to follow inside it. I have yet to run into someone that I haven’t liked and everyone that my wife and myself have talked to has been 110% helpful

If anyone else has a different way I would like to hear how others plan and budget their builds.

Jerry R
31 January 2014, 10:02
Excellent post.

Where you use OneNote, I use Excel. I create a workbook for the build, with worksheets for parts, and list vendors and pricing. So basically, exactly the same only different.

You are certainly correct on research. It not only can save you money, but more importantly - possible fitment headaches and "start-overs".

I am the world's worst on patience - If I wanted it tomorrow, I would have asked for it tomorrow. You point is very well made though. Saving and waiting is the hardest part of a build. I'm a big believer in "Do it right, once." so waiting for some items is pretty much mandatory. An impulse buy can be a life saver, or a nightmare. Ask me how I know [BD]

It will be interesting to hear other's thoughts on this.

Computalotapus
31 January 2014, 11:47
I thought I should provide the basic template I use to start listing parts and collecting manufacturer and vendor information. This is my blank template HERE (https://skydrive.live.com/redir?page=view&resid=C657FA8C3A68F941!1490&authkey=!AKTsZFOws_qwZsI)

RiverRat
31 January 2014, 13:34
This is probably something I should delete instead of post, but I'll add my noob opinion anyway. EDIT: HOLY CRAP, yeah I should have deleted it - please forgive the excessive length

I believe there's a paradox in "civilian builds on a budget"

THEORY: Civilians require a (more) significant bankroll to build AR15's at reasonable cost.

DISCLAIMER: Before I go any farther, it's important for me to be clear: I don't begrudge law enforcement officers, military personnel or first responder any discounts they receive from vendors. Quite the contrary, I think they are generally under-compensated and it's good to see them get at least a few perks from their chosen professions.

RATIONALE: The civilian effect works like this:
- Without access to standing discounts, we rely on sale pricing and bundled shipping (preferably both) to minimize costs on quality components.
- Sales are unpredictable, of limited duration and may not be return in the foreseeable future (the BHO effect).
- This creates a situation where the cost-optimal path involves purchasing discounted components when available, ever for projects we're not actively building (oops)
- Making these advance purchases ties up funds as rifles are effectively procured in parallel, requiring an extensive bankroll.

To the best of my knowledge, folks receiving significant discounts have greater latitude in buying at time of need - the discount is fixed and not usually tied to a specific time of purchase. If I'm wrong, I would love to understand any other arrangement that might exist. Again, I don't see this as a problem and I'm happy that they have a more flexible option for procurement. I only mention it as contrast for civvies trying to stretch dollars.

I've been fortunate enough to be in a position where I can "spend enough to save some" but I feel for those who must operate differently. I really need to get a few things into the WEVO "Pay It Forward" program. I haven't yet because I've curtailed buying while I plan out (not one, but a few more) builds, then find the right pricing (see above).

I suggest this volume buying approach is best applied to the parts we consider commodities - the generic pieces common to almost every rifle (LPKs; buffer tubes; gas blocks and tubes; upgraded milspec FCG's, upgraded selectors and releases, sling attachments, etc). Following this theory, I recently bought a pair of melonited middy gas tubes that I don't need right now because they were available, priced right and could be shipped free with a larger order. Some day, I'll be glad I have them for some currently unplanned steel-eating carbine.

For components that are seeing more innovation (rails, grips, muzzle devices, ambi lower receivers, gaming triggers, etc) I believe it makes more sense to purchase closer to point of need. I get the latest-and-greatest features, or better pricing on the previous generation of products.

Despite saying I just purchased $25 in parts I don't need right now, I'm a huge fan of planning described by others. Pen and paper, MS Notepad, OneNote, Excel, my phone's notepad, I'll use em all - they are just a means to an end.

Regardless of the tools used, I believe there needs to be a flow to both the planning and purchasing process. This is why I'm frequently surprised at how often people have everything EXCEPT THE BARREL chosen and/or purchased. I don't get this approach. My noob opinion is that any difference that exist between AR pattern firearms is fundamentally related to the barrel. Firmly entrenched in the belief that form follows function, shouldn't I define use(s) for the rifle, select a barrel family that fits my intended use(s) and only then consider other components? It's why everything I'm planning starts with that one defining component.

EXAMPLE: I wouldn't be eager to use an ambidextrous lower with a flared magwell under a match grade 20" stainless barrel resting on a bipod. I wouldn't put a 4 MOA red dot on it either. Neither aligns well with how I see a rifle with that barrel being used (unless it's my only lower.)

Ultimately, the form-follow-function approach saves money and headaches just having a higher likelihood of getting the right pieces in proximity. My limited experience suggests even 100% high quality parts can be slapped together to make a crap rifle.

From there the best thing to do (which I'm guilty of NOT doing) is simply spending more time with other peoples rifles to see what you like and would serve you well. I've done some experimenting in a partial vacuum and wiill probably do more because sometimes my thinking isn't mainstream. Most of these little projects were successful, but with one or two bad or unnecessary purchases. The first ambi selector I bought almost had me swearing off them forever......

UWone77
31 January 2014, 15:45
I appreciate every discount I've been given. Having said that, I try to stock up on parts when there are some great sales on, which are happening quite frequently lately, as I suspect a lot of retailers over-ordered during the panic, and now have a lot of extra inventory they need to turn to put cash back in the coffers.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/1383400_549831708422287_1851593670_n_zpseb712e85.j pg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/1383400_549831708422287_1851593670_n_zpseb712e85.j pg.html)

Computalotapus
31 January 2014, 15:54
I am prior military and I don't offer that info to vendors that I buy from. The only places that know that are Phase 5 and a local shop that gave me police/military pricing on the wife's Glock. I generally pay civilian prices on everything I purchase. There are a ton of deals out there and I don't feel I need to use my prior service for an extra 15% off the already great deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UWone77
31 January 2014, 16:06
I wish I was somewhat more organized like you guys. I don't use spreadsheets or keep track of what parts or what something costs. Typically, I'll have LPK's, receiver extension kits on hand. Then I'll go into the Magpul furniture pile and take whatever I need from there. Rails/Barrels I'll usually have some extras as well. The only real decision usually is... how nice I want my trigger and receivers. I'll then buy accordingly.

RiverRat
31 January 2014, 16:08
OK, perhaps UWone77 doesn't conform well to my theory. He appears to have attended the Magpul Moving Sale, and bought the contents of the warehouse :)

FortTom
31 January 2014, 16:30
I'm just not that organized either. I just get an idea of what I want to do, then usually build the lower, while I mull over the upper. I basically use the same stock, grip, and CTR. During the "panic" period I could find just 1 NIB BCU, which I bought off of Brownells. I do get a retired military discount from them, but I've been buying from them since the old days when you filled out an order form, and put it in the mail. On my last "build" after quite a few hours of mulling over what I wanted in an upper, I figured that buying the pieces would cost almost the same as buying a complete upper, I just said the hell with it, and bought one from BCM. So my last "build" turned into more of an "assembly". A LPK, and an aftermarket trigger was about all of the building I did, so the only "planning" I did, was shop for the best prices on the small stuff. Piss poor, I know, but that's my way, now that I'm getting older. I "want it, and I want it now", attitude, with the shortest route possible.

I certainly respect your attention to detail, and planning and organization skills, but I had enough of that in my 20 years of military, and 2nc career as a manufacturing engineer. Going to buy a new lower tomorrow, believe it or not, and thought I'd take my sweet time on this one, without falling prey to the urge to just get it done, we'll see.[:D]

Great post, BTW. But times and retirement have changed me.

FT

Computalotapus
31 January 2014, 18:21
FT I hear you. After being in the military I would just buy without waiting. Got married into a package deal family last year has changed how I prioritize. Love my family and love doing stuff with them. Now I take my time and budget each piece which allows me to really look into every part of the build. I am in no hurry to build so I enjoy taking my time with it.
I have a .308 build I'm working on I should post up the OneNote document that I am working from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk